Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 08:01 PM

867 posts, read 1,372,084 times

Advertisements

Do you feel purchasing a historic home in Morgan park is well worth it/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2010, 09:34 PM

400 posts, read 957,519 times
I sure wouldnt base my purchase of anything
on responses from a forum.

I also wouldnt buy in morgan park, its too far south but looking
at the block it looks okay.

I always like to imagine someone's major decision
is going to hinge on what people here say.

Old 08-15-2010, 10:18 PM

1,966 posts, read 6,076,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runuova View Post
As I've said, you can't just say "Morgan Park". You have to be more specific. there are great parts and awful parts.

Nobody has any clue if you're asking about the potential for a property to appreciate in value. It depends on too many things that no one can predict.
Anyone who says one way or the other is just making stuff up. All I can say with certainty is that the historic part of the neighborhood attracts interest from a type of person that existed to a much lesser extent 25 years ago and thus has potentially a promising future. Look at who is moving here now (in the past few years), not just who lives here. It is interesting.

For me it is a good value (assuming the right house and right part of Morgan Park), but you have to go into it with an understanding of what you are getting and what you aren't, and be sure that the things that you aren't getting are relatively low on your priority list compared to the things that you do get. The drawbacks are: proximity to rough areas, distance to loop compared to much of the rest of city, no L, and mostly sucky commerce (with exceptions), and mostly sucky public schools; advantages are incredible choice of stunning homes/lots for reasonable prices, very good metra, good proximity to loop compared to most suburbs (very quick drive up DR outside of rush hour), relatively low crime for city, diversity (ie blacks and whites living together pretty harmoniously), overall a solid neighborhood with a ton of character.

It just depends on what you value. If you PM me an address I can give my white-boy opinion. I wouldn't listen to me too much, though.

Old 08-16-2010, 06:07 AM

1,085 posts, read 2,233,338 times
If you do purchase a historic home, for the love of God, please do NOT paint the wood trim.

Old 08-16-2010, 07:44 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,197,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runuova View Post
Yeah, try to stay west of I-57 though. The best parts of MP are west of the Metra.

This site should help you to get an idea of how crime is like in the community.
http://spotcrime.com/il/chicago/morgan+park

Old 09-15-2010, 11:16 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times
A truly heartwarming story from Morgan Park:

2 held without bail in home invasion, slaying of Morgan Park man - Chicago Breaking News (http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2010/08/morgan-park-home-invasion-anthony-anglin-sangamon-chicago-police.html - broken link)

What a shame.

Old 09-16-2010, 01:50 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Can we start a "crime dump" thread so that Chirackvengerfire has a place to post all of his crime links that doesn't offer any substantive contributions to the threads he's dredging up to post them in?

Old 09-16-2010, 08:22 AM

1,966 posts, read 6,076,609 times
Since nothing is stated other than a link to the story, I can only assume that the post is meant to imply that Morgan Park is crime ridden. Otherwise I see no point to including it.

Some people on this forum act like neigborhood boundaries are independent nations, or at least divided by major geographical obstacles. If a crime is committed in Cabrini Green does that mean Lincoln Park sucks? As I've said I would think of West Morgan park as a different neighborhood. Not that nothing can ever happen or one is not justified in being unnerved being close to more dangerous neighborhoods, but I think it gives a more accurate view than posting a single tragic crime story. Of the many people I know in West Morgan Park none has ever experienced any sort of violence. It's very peaceful up the hill. I recommend it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago