Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 11:32 PM

8 posts, read 40,239 times

Advertisements

I visited campus just a little while ago and absolutely loved it! What do you think of this university? Is it a good place for undergrad studies? Is it well-known in the Chicago area? Any and all thoughts help!

PS
I'll be majoring in political science.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2010, 01:53 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,961,770 times
That's my alma mater. Loyola is an excellent school, imo. I don't know too much about the political science department as I was a math major in the graduate school and went there quite a while ago. I am sure it has changed, but the faculty is well known.

The head of the department has written articles for various journals in the field.

The faculty seems to have a good grounding in the field in general from the website
Faculty- Loyola University Chicago

I love the campus and the area.

Dorothy

Old 07-26-2010, 11:19 AM

269 posts, read 718,561 times
I go there for Law School. I'm probably biased, but I'd say DePaul is better for Political Science. This could be because I went to DePaul for undergrad and majored in History and Political Science.

Old 07-26-2010, 12:33 PM

320 posts, read 956,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muppet123 View Post
I go there for Law School. I'm probably biased, but I'd say DePaul is better for Political Science. This could be because I went to DePaul for undergrad and majored in History and Political Science.
Seconded.
But I am also a DePaul grad.

Old 07-26-2010, 02:05 PM

110 posts, read 278,465 times
I'm a Loyola alum that majored in Political Science in the early to mid 90's. I thought the curriculum was pretty decent. But because there weren't a whole lot Poly Sci firms hiring at the time, I went to law school.

Loyola is very well known in the region. I had a great time there FWIW.

Old 07-26-2010, 02:16 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,557,408 times
It's good, I'd probably rank it 3rd or 4th best UG in Chicago

Tier 1 Elites UChi/Northwestern
Tier 1 major universities Loyola, UIC, Depaul

Specialties
those are the main 5 unless you are in a specialized program i.e. at Art Institute/IIT/Columbia College

Tier 2's
then you have your other ones in the area like NIU/Northeastern/Harold Washington etc...

Loyola is well known regionally in the Midwest and also somewhat nationally due to sister schools in LA/Baltimore.
I don't know much about it beyond that, but like the hoods around it, you'll be sure to bump into Northwestern students as well due to its proximity.

Old 07-27-2010, 09:11 PM

8 posts, read 40,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
It's good, I'd probably rank it 3rd or 4th best UG in Chicago

Tier 1 Elites UChi/Northwestern
Tier 1 major universities Loyola, UIC, Depaul

Specialties
those are the main 5 unless you are in a specialized program i.e. at Art Institute/IIT/Columbia College

Tier 2's
then you have your other ones in the area like NIU/Northeastern/Harold Washington etc...

Loyola is well known regionally in the Midwest and also somewhat nationally due to sister schools in LA/Baltimore.
I don't know much about it beyond that, but like the hoods around it, you'll be sure to bump into Northwestern students as well due to its proximity.
Ok thanks for the great info. NU and UChicago are out of my reach, and I just fell in love with Loyola. The lakfront location and campus gave it more of a studious "collegiate" vibe. I don't know if I missed anything while touring DePaul, but it didn't really feel like a college to me. I'm glad you ranked it so high though...that seems to be the consensus of others I have spoken with.

Old 07-28-2010, 03:00 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,557,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakebosco70 View Post
Ok thanks for the great info. NU and UChicago are out of my reach, and I just fell in love with Loyola. The lakfront location and campus gave it more of a studious "collegiate" vibe. I don't know if I missed anything while touring DePaul, but it didn't really feel like a college to me. I'm glad you ranked it so high though...that seems to be the consensus of others I have spoken with.
Yeah it is IMHO better than DePaul both campus and academically... in that same breadth it is not as good as Chicago regional feeder schools such as UW Madison/University of Illinois Urbana Champaign/Notre Dame/Indiana/Michigan/Purdue, but none of those places offer the city life if you want/possible networking/internships/etc, so its a trade off.

Old 07-29-2010, 12:17 AM

269 posts, read 718,561 times
DePaul's campus is in a much safer neighborhood (yes, its in evil yuppie-fied Lincoln Park) than Loyola's lakeshore campus. Plus for your average college freshman, there is more to do in and around that area. Yeah, we'd hop on the red line for penny pitchers at Pumping Company... but there were just as many "college type entertainment options" (bars that took crappy fake-ids) near us.

Old 07-29-2010, 08:23 AM

320 posts, read 956,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muppet123 View Post
DePaul's campus is in a much safer neighborhood (yes, its in evil yuppie-fied Lincoln Park) than Loyola's lakeshore campus. Plus for your average college freshman, there is more to do in and around that area. Yeah, we'd hop on the red line for penny pitchers at Pumping Company... but there were just as many "college type entertainment options" (bars that took crappy fake-ids) near us.

Don't understand the knock on DePaul's Lincoln Park Campus. Its about as nice as you can get as far as a neighborhood goes for an urban university, other than Georgetown.

I've yet to meet anyone who's ID was denied at Kelly's or McGee's. Plus, when you have friend working at the Lincoln Ave bars, or work there yourself, its opened up for you.

Plus, you are a lot closer to the live theatre and music districts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago