Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2010, 09:36 PM

170 posts, read 535,858 times

Advertisements

All the information I can find online pertains to graduated licensing for teens. Here's my issue: I'm 24, US born citizen, and I've never driven. Always been terrified. I did try when I lived in Ohio and I had a permit, but it never happened.

My husband and I now live in Chicago and I'm considering getting a permit and just taking my time, without pressure, and driving around instead of him driving. He's 24 and has held a license since he was 16.

I'd like to know what the process would be in my case. I know you take the written test to get the permit, which I'm fine with. But what restrictions, if any, would I have? Other than driving with a licensed adult driver, of course, which is no issue, because I'd just be with my husband. But I'm assuming I'd lack the requirement for driver's ed classes, minimum hours (which, let's face it, I'll have because it will take me a LONG time), limits on times of day that I can drive... things like that that I see as restrictions for 15 year olds.

I know in Ohio, once you turned 18 there was no driver's ed requirement, no minimum hours requirement, and in theory you could walk in, pass the written test, then walk out and take the road test. Or you can take the permit and learn on your own with any adult driver. All the restrictions on teens with permits were not in place for those over 18. The permit expires after 6 months (I think) and you must take the written test again to purchase another permit after it expires. How long are IL learner's permits valid before they need to be renewed?

I understand that there probably aren't many instances of 24 year olds needing a learner's permit so I'm not surprised that I can't find any information.

Explanation: I'm just considering doing this in hopes that in a few years, I'll be able to drive. When I was a kid my parents first flat out said they didn't think I could handle driving, then they insisted that I could and I had a few hours in a church parking lot before they made me go with an instructor, who ended up cursing me out although I told him I had no idea how to drive. The dead body videos in driver's ed only served to terrify me even more and I was always just too terrified to do it. I didn't learn how to park/pull out of a space before my parents told me I was going to take the test. The first two times I didn't pass maneuverability, and the third and last time I hit the car next to me while trying to pull out. Now that a good 6 years have passed, I think I'm ready to go at it at my pace with my husband.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2010, 03:19 PM

170 posts, read 535,858 times
Ah, I figured this would belong in the general Illinois forum since it doesn't apply to Chicago specifically. Better safe than sorry. Thanks for the move, though, mods. More folks around here anyway I think.

Old 07-19-2010, 04:16 PM

81 posts, read 110,528 times
I do not think one can get a learner's permit without be enrolled is some sort of driving school.

Old 07-20-2010, 10:49 AM

36 posts, read 246,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citybythelake View Post
I do not think one can get a learner's permit without be enrolled is some sort of driving school.

I got a learner's permit about 10 years ago without a driving school. I got the permit, then went to driving school to save money. If the driving school takes you, they charge you for the whole time from when they pick you up and take you to the driving facility and wait for you while you take your test and get the permit (which can take a few hours). If you get your permit before going to driving school, you can save at least
$100. By the way, I've never gotten my driver's license either, so don't feel alone!

Old 06-19-2014, 06:27 PM

1 posts, read 15,752 times
im confused im 18 living in Chicago what steps do I have to take step by step.I know is that I take a exam an then get my permit.

Old 06-20-2014, 02:33 PM

467 posts, read 1,890,643 times
The Secretary of State oversees drivers' licenses: Driver?s License/State ID Card

Old 06-05-2018, 09:41 PM

1 posts, read 6,269 times
I KNOW this is a old thread but I could not find this same info anywhere. The web site provide below has a great step by step guide for all ages because im Over 21 and need to go get my liscence. Hope this helps others in the same position.
[url]https://m.driving-tests.org/illinois/drivers-license-guide/#level-5[/url]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: