Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2010, 09:14 AM

1,212 posts, read 4,912,116 times

Advertisements

I am considering a weekend excursion to Chicago with my 10 year old daughter. I thought it would be fun to go to the museum and other tourist type things (shopping, sightseeing, ??) on Friday/Saturday.

Questions:

It has been a long time since I visited Chicago (I was around 10 years old last time).

Is the museum still fascinating for kids?

What else is there to do in Chicago for families?

Is it relatively safe to ride the train or walk in downtown Chicago during the daytime hours?

No offense, I would be there alone with my 10 year old. I live in Metro Detroit and there are some areas here that I would not go to with my daughter. I just want to know about how it would be in Chicago downtown and along Michigan Avenue.

Also, we would be arriving on the Mega Bus so I would be looking for hotels around Union Station. Are there any in that area that has an indoor pool?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2010, 11:49 AM

1,975 posts, read 5,214,598 times
You will be safe on the train as long as you are going to and from safe areas. The downtown and most of the north side are safe.

You could take a boat tour of the river, go to Oak Street Beech, or spend some time in Lincoln and Millennium Parks. Lots of families go to the Navy Pier, which also has a children's museum. It is popular, but a classic tourist trap.

The areas around Michigan Avenue are best for hotels.

Old 07-13-2010, 12:20 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
The degree to which your daughter will be fascianated by museums varys largely to the amount of time she spends seeing / doing stuff with real objects and books vs computers / video games. I have seen some kids at the Art Institute, Field or Science & Industry positively rapt while other kids have had their cell phones and DSs staring right through an exhibit...

Safety in the tourist areas is all but assured, Mayor throws all the cops that he can at the locations/events that bring people into his taxable domain...

Hotels with indoor pools are not particularly numerous, one of the nicer ones is the Swiss Hotel, and believe that they do have deals with price line that make it not too unaffordable. You will probably want to take the CTA or a cab to get their from Unions Station, but is reasonably easy to walk to Michiagan Ave shopping and venues on the lakefront. Great views even from most lower story rooms, as there quite and elevation change to river and Lakeshore Dr....

Old 07-13-2010, 12:53 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,799,921 times
I'm not sure which museum you are talking about, but a ten-year-old might enjoy the Art Institute of Chicago, the Field Museum, the Children's Museum, or the Museum of Science and Industry. I guess it depends on the child.

The Chicago Architecture Foundation has the best river boat tours.

http://www.chicagoarchitecturefoundation.org

Kids may also enjoy going to the Sears Tower Sky Deck, or the observatory at the Hancock. Usually I recommend the lounge at the Signature Room if you're interested in the Hancock because they don't have the admissions charge and you can just get a couple of drinks instead, but a ten-year-old will not be able to enjoy a cocktail. But an expensive soda would buy you the same view as the obervatory.

Navy Pier is a bit of an expensive tourist trap, but kids usually enjoy it. It is currently the site of the Children's Museum, and has many carnival-style rides.

The Licoln Park Zoo may be a bit elementary for a ten-year-old, but there is also a nature museum next door. And the lagoon offers little pedal-boat rides. And there is a lovely Conservatory.

There are many kid-oriented restaurants in River North, like Ed Debevic's, the Rainforest Cafe, the Hard Rock, ESPN Zone, Gino's East, etc. They are touristy, but kids love 'em.

There is a lot of shopping on Michigan Avenue that a ten-year-old girl would enjoy.

Old 07-14-2010, 09:55 PM

thanks everyone!

I will start my plans. I will check out the Swiss hotel for sure. Thanks for that tip.

I am getting excited just thinking about it. Probably more than my daughter. the only thing she is excited about is going to the American Doll store... a doll store... that we will not be buying anything from because I sure can't afford a doll from there???

Old 07-15-2010, 11:05 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,921,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcam213 View Post
thanks everyone!

I will start my plans. I will check out the Swiss hotel for sure. Thanks for that tip.

I am getting excited just thinking about it. Probably more than my daughter. the only thing she is excited about is going to the American Doll store... a doll store... that we will not be buying anything from because I sure can't afford a doll from there???
While the dolls are pricey, I really like them because they come with books about history that are pretty decent.

At any rate, you don't have to buy anything. You can just look around. You *can* also book reservations for their cafe, but that is fairly pricey too. For a once in a lifetime experience though, it might be fun. You can book your reservations online

American Girl Place Chicago

Brunch is $19 per person, plus tax. Approximate seating time: 9:30 a.m.
Lunch is $21 per person, plus tax. Approximate seating times: 11 a.m., 12:30 p.m., 2:30 p.m.
Afternoon Tea is $17 per person, plus tax. Approximate seating time: 4 p.m.
Dinner is $22 per person, plus tax. Approximate seating times: 5:30 p.m., 7:30 p.m.

Old 07-16-2010, 01:24 PM

77 posts, read 171,800 times
My parents were in town recently and stayed at Hotel Palomar: Downtown Chicago Luxury Hotels: Hotel Palomar Chicago which is on State/Grand. They have an indoor pool and the location is excellent. They also have free wine from 5pm-6pm.

I think a 10 year old would enjoy the Field Museum, Museum of Science and Industry, and the Art Institute. We also have an aquarium, but I personally wasn't too impressed. Kids also seem to like Navy Pier.

Old 07-16-2010, 10:06 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,799,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faintlyamused View Post
My parents were in town recently and stayed at Hotel Palomar: Downtown Chicago Luxury Hotels: Hotel Palomar Chicago which is on State/Grand. They have an indoor pool and the location is excellent. They also have free wine from 5pm-6pm.
That place is brand spankin' new, which is why others may have overlooked it. It does look nice.

Old 07-18-2010, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
While the dolls are pricey, I really like them because they come with books about history that are pretty decent.

At any rate, you don't have to buy anything. You can just look around. You *can* also book reservations for their cafe, but that is fairly pricey too. For a once in a lifetime experience though, it might be fun. You can book your reservations online

American Girl Place Chicago

Brunch is $19 per person, plus tax. Approximate seating time: 9:30 a.m.
Lunch is $21 per person, plus tax. Approximate seating times: 11 a.m., 12:30 p.m., 2:30 p.m.
Afternoon Tea is $17 per person, plus tax. Approximate seating time: 4 p.m.
Dinner is $22 per person, plus tax. Approximate seating times: 5:30 p.m., 7:30 p.m.

thanks for this super tip! I will definitely do this. She will LOVE it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: