Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 06:02 AM

103 posts, read 346,278 times

Advertisements

Hellooooo Chicagoans!

My husband and I are planning a weekend getaway soon, hopefully in August, and I just wanted to get some advice, opinions, and etc.

We were thinking of taking the train in rather than drive, just to save on parking fees and driving hassle. This means we'll be either walking, taking taxis or the el. Ideally, I'd like to get a hotel that is near the train station, but also near some decent attractions.

I'm not sure what we're going to do yet. We've been to Chicago before, but not for many years. I always love going to the museums, but I haven't been to Shedd yet, and think that might be something to do. We were also talking about going to see a Cubs game, but that's not key. (I'd rather wait and see the Bears!!!)

Anyway, I'd love some thoughts/info on the following:

1. Recommend a decently located yet quasi-affordable hotel. WiFi and a restaurant in the hotel would be great (for room service). (Free WiFi even better!)

2. Recommend the best way to get around the downtown area.

3. How much does public transportation cost (taxi, el, bus, etc.)

4. Recommend any key attractions we might want to see. (What's happening in August?)

5. Recommend some good downtown bars. We don't want techno, loud, obnoxious dance clubs. I'm talking something quiet, intimate and cigar/martini/Sinatra-ish. OR Your standard rock and roll dive to see a live band.

Any and all info would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2010, 07:11 AM

2,474 posts, read 4,200,447 times
Where are you visiting from?

Why don't you want to leave downtown?

Old 07-07-2010, 08:13 AM

92 posts, read 317,116 times
If you are going to be riding the CTA (buses or the L), get a 1 Day Fun pass (they can be purchased at CVS Pharmacy stores for around $6). This is the ideal way if you plan on using a lot of public transportation downtown. Otherwise, I think a single trip on the L costs $2.25.

Of all of the Chicago museums I've visited, I like the Museum of Science and Industry the best. That is a little further south and outside of the Loop, but a great museum that takes all day.

The Field museum near Soldier Field is also pretty decent. Shedd was a disappointment and only takes about 3 hours to visit. The Adler Planetarium is also fairly small. One could probably visit the Shedd and the Adler in one day. There are also packages to visit a couple of the museums, since the Field, Shedd, and Adler are all next to each other.

Old 07-07-2010, 08:57 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,886,090 times
I suspect the OP's definition of "downtown" is not the same as folks that work in the Loop...

The hotels in the Loop tend to be oriented very strongly toward business travelers and routinely do charge for Internet access, have locations that are walkable to offices but little else, and tend to inconvenient for late night activities...

That said it may be OK to stay in a Loop hotel, as they would be walkable from Amtrak, be OK for Red Line trips to the ball parks and be pretty close to museums... Folks that specialize in finding the best deals on price line and such routinely get deals that are more than half off the high listed rates...

W hotel seems to be closest to Amtrak, but there are others only a block or two east, going all the way to Michigan Ave is not too much of a burden, and there are buses that make this easy.

As far as bars / music venues there are some places in River North / North Loop with a more classic lounge feel, blues bars abound near Wrigley, as well as some near south spots. Harder rock tends toward the rougher areas...

Old 07-07-2010, 01:22 PM

3,339 posts, read 6,033,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalFriday View Post
Hellooooo Chicagoans!

My husband and I are planning a weekend getaway soon, hopefully in August, and I just wanted to get some advice, opinions, and etc.

We were thinking of taking the train in rather than drive, just to save on parking fees and driving hassle. This means we'll be either walking, taking taxis or the el. Ideally, I'd like to get a hotel that is near the train station, but also near some decent attractions.

I'm not sure what we're going to do yet. We've been to Chicago before, but not for many years. I always love going to the museums, but I haven't been to Shedd yet, and think that might be something to do. We were also talking about going to see a Cubs game, but that's not key. (I'd rather wait and see the Bears!!!)

Anyway, I'd love some thoughts/info on the following:

1. Recommend a decently located yet quasi-affordable hotel. WiFi and a restaurant in the hotel would be great (for room service). (Free WiFi even better!)

2. Recommend the best way to get around the downtown area.

3. How much does public transportation cost (taxi, el, bus, etc.)

4. Recommend any key attractions we might want to see. (What's happening in August?)

5. Recommend some good downtown bars. We don't want techno, loud, obnoxious dance clubs. I'm talking something quiet, intimate and cigar/martini/Sinatra-ish. OR Your standard rock and roll dive to see a live band.

Any and all info would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
One hotel that might be worth checking out is the new La Quinta Inn & Suites that opened in the loop:

La Quinta Inn & Suites Chicago Downtown - Illinois Hotels

I don't know much about it, I just walk past it to get to/from my office, but the loop is a decent location to be in if you want to go to the museums and Millennium Park but also want to be able to get around the city on the El since every line is easily accessible. From the outside the hotel looks nice, and it is pretty new (less than a year, I think). I don't know about a restaurant for room service, but it has the free wi-fi, so you can always go the grubhub.com route if you want something delivered.

I don't have much of an opinion on the museums... I haven't been in forever. As for bars though, I would recommend Howl at the Moon which is in the River North area. You could walk there from the loop (I do it regularly in the summer months) or take a bus or the El. It's a piano bar and they have a live show every night I think... I know it starts at 6:00 on Thursdays, at least. I find it amusing. I sometimes like Rockett too, which is right next door, but it can get rather loud.

For transportation costs, I second the CTA fun pass if you're going to use it as your primary means of getting around. I honestly don't know what a cab costs anymore because I never use them. Without the daily pass the El is $2.25 and I think buses are the same (I have a monthly pass and don't pay attention, sorry).

Without knowing exactly which dates you'll be here it's hard to say what festivals will be going on, but you may find the Metromix Festival Guide helpful:

Chicago Festival Guide 2010 | Metromix Chicago

Old 07-07-2010, 03:27 PM

Sorry about not clarifying "downtown" enough. I guess that's sort of a vague term. Basically, we only have so much time, and I don't want to spend it going from one place to another. I want to cram in as much fun as I can in one location. I've been to Field and the Art Institute, but haven't gotten to Shedd or Adler, which might be fun for an afternoon, and then hit the nightlife later.

I checked out the W hotel, but have heard mixed reviews about it.

Old 07-07-2010, 03:49 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,886,090 times
I have had friends stay at the W City Center and found it ideal for sight seeing and as a base while visiting with city dwellers. Really about as close as you could want to be to the Amtrak station as well as around the corner from Loop elevated. If you want something less unique and no cheaper (with well documented specials) you could do much worse. I myself have stayed at other W hotels and you have to realize that the people they hire are big on the hipsters factor, which is different than the "your every whim" service at a RitzCarlton but also a heckuva lot more affordable...

The hotels in RiverNorth tend to have an icky factor, as they are clearly designed for suburban sites and then shoehorned into Chicago. Places that specialize in convention business are not appealing to me either...

I doubt you will find any hotel on trip advisor that has universally glowing reviews at any price point.

Old 07-08-2010, 03:59 PM

Has anyone ever stayed at the Flemish house B&B?

Old 07-08-2010, 04:01 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,813,432 times
^No, but it sounds interesting.^

How long will you be here?

Old 07-13-2010, 06:41 AM

We're planning on coming in on Friday and leaving Sunday. Friday will be the evening out, Saturday will be hitting any major places, and Sunday will just be hanging out and heading home. So we need to cram a lot of living into a few short hours. We haven't had a vacation in years! That's why I'm trying to target things that we haven't seen or done before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago