Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 09:14 PM

400 posts, read 957,519 times

Advertisements

^^^^ ok i think its something that is worth a try,
could maybe this thread be changed to just Rogers Park as the title?

In any case, I think it would be nice if there was an ongoing
thread on rogers park besides the crime thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2010, 09:18 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xavier xerxes View Post
^^^^ ok i think its something that is worth a try,
could maybe this thread be changed to just Rogers Park as the title?

In any case, I think it would be nice if there was an ongoing
thread on rogers park besides the crime thread.
It is in the works to get the threads in order. I do not know how long it will take though. There will be a couple different Rogers Park threads (that have already been written they just need to be combined) and they will be multiple pages long. But as long as there are only a couple-we will be golden.

Old 06-27-2010, 09:47 PM

^^^^ cool.

Also just wanted to correct myself.
Metra and EL by the Lake also Occurs in Evanston,
but where else? I cant think of anywhere else in the City.

(you could argue Wilmette too, but the Metra is further,
but still walkable.)

Old 06-27-2010, 09:56 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I think for $1100 you can do better than RP. I can put you in touch with someone who has a HUGE 2-bedroom (1200+sqft) for that much in a more consistently safe area, less than 10 minutes from both a BlueLine and Metra station, and with street parking plentiful enough that you don't need an off-street space. And that includes heat. No W/D though, but you can do drop-off service around here for about $25-30/mo.
Yeah definitely... I have seen decent 2 bedrooms for 800-1000... but, for 1100 you can do much better. Hell I had a doorman building downtown for 1100 660square foot 1br convertible... You better be getting a seriously nice place in Rogers Park for that.

Old 06-28-2010, 05:56 PM

188 posts, read 605,605 times
Lakewood & Columbia? Any thoughts?

Old 06-28-2010, 08:12 PM

^^^Thats the kill zone.

Jk.
Its fine. In general South of Pratt and East of Greenview
is pretty nice. Is it immune to crime? No.
There will always be people lurking in shadows
looking for college kids listening to their ipods or whatever.
In general south of Pratt and east of greenview is where
the Loyola kids live now. Some do actually live near the morse
EL stop though now. In general that area is the nicest part of Rogers Park
or most gentrified. Anything east of sheridan is the nicest part too ofcourse.

What in particular do you want to know?

Old 06-28-2010, 08:56 PM

188 posts, read 605,605 times
I was looking at an apartment at that intersection - actually, I'm scheduled to sign the lease on Wednesday. I've walked around the area during the daytime but I know that parts of Rogers Park can change drastically at night. I didn't get any strange vibes, but you never know. Are there any nearby intersections I should avoid? Any rehab houses or anything? Maybe I've just been scarred by my current proximity to the less savory parts of Uptown and unrealistically project those expectations onto RP.

Old 06-29-2010, 09:06 AM

320 posts, read 955,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by binarybelle View Post
I was looking at an apartment at that intersection - actually, I'm scheduled to sign the lease on Wednesday. I've walked around the area during the daytime but I know that parts of Rogers Park can change drastically at night. I didn't get any strange vibes, but you never know. Are there any nearby intersections I should avoid? Any rehab houses or anything? Maybe I've just been scarred by my current proximity to the less savory parts of Uptown and unrealistically project those expectations onto RP.
Avoid Pratt and Ashland like the plague, unless you fell nostalgic for the corner of Hazel & Wilson.
And there is a halfway house for sex offenders on Falwell east of Sheridan.

Other than that, its a beautiful neighborhood

Old 06-29-2010, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow_nerve_action View Post
Avoid Pratt and Ashland like the plague, unless you fell nostalgic for the corner of Hazel & Wilson.
And there is a halfway house for sex offenders on Falwell east of Sheridan.

Other than that, its a beautiful neighborhood
Yeah Farwell east of Sheridan, i heard about that halfway house
which building is that in?

There is low income housing at bosworth and pratt just east of Ashland.
Basically avoid gangbangers, they are easy to spot, they look pissed off at all times and wear red caps and white tshirts and usually are in a large group.
If someone looks scary, then avoid them. I think most fears
about Rogers Park are overblown or out of proportion to what goes on here.
Sure its not Lincoln Park or Lincoln Square, but I think its safer than the bad heart of Uptown.

Old 06-29-2010, 11:00 AM

320 posts, read 955,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xavier xerxes View Post
Yeah Farwell east of Sheridan, i heard about that halfway house
which building is that in?

There is low income housing at bosworth and pratt just east of Ashland.
Basically avoid gangbangers, they are easy to spot, they look pissed off at all times and wear red caps and white tshirts and usually are in a large group.
If someone looks scary, then avoid them. I think most fears
about Rogers Park are overblown or out of proportion to what goes on here.
Sure its not Lincoln Park or Lincoln Square, but I think its safer than the bad heart of Uptown.
I was always under the impression that it was just west of the gray house on the south side of the street. Lots of loitering and spent cigarette butts there when I lived there and took my morning run....though a cop friend who worked that beat told me that it was two doors in from the park, and he never understood how they got away with housing them that close to a park/playground.

Rogers Park fears aren't overblown....its just probably the most block-by-block area one can live in in the city. I think what jars people is what happens when the violence spills over to what was thought of as a "safe" block...sort of like whenever something bad happens over by the Lunt station entrance/ Heartland Cafe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago