Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 07:45 AM

21 posts, read 45,579 times

Advertisements

I don't know much beyond the city, but this article just listed Tinley Park, Orland Park and [edit Frankfort, not Harvey]--all on that side of the metro area, as being good places to live:

20 Best Towns and Neighborhoods in Chicago and the Suburbs - Chicago magazine - April 2010 - Chicago

Last edited by OrdoSeclorum; 05-27-2010 at 08:54 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2010, 07:50 AM

1,966 posts, read 6,074,538 times
Did you really mean to say Harvey?

Old 05-27-2010, 09:35 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,346,203 times
Default Well that does fill in the picture...

Quote:
Originally Posted by e11esar View Post
Hi there and thank you so much for all the information. The company I'd be working for is Landauer and they are indeed placed in Glenwood.

The role would be on a contract basis for the first six months (or so) and they have offered to pay expenses. They have indicated that a suitable hotel would be in Tinley Park but I'm looking beyond the six months and the possibility of the role going permanent in the future, hence I want to get ahead of the game, if you know what I mean.

Status-wise, I'm not single but I won't be accompanied during the initial six months or so, hence the singles scene won't be much of interest and really it is somewhere nice to live during the temporary part that I am investigating.

My days of raving and misbehaving are done now, so it's just finding decent shops and restaurants that are of interest. A company car may be available so a commute (preferrably under 30 minutes) is okay.

Hope that helps a bit.

Thank you again.

M

I think I know where the firm's site is in Glenwood, it is set way back against a Forest Preserve so at least it's quiet, but it relly is out of way. I guess it is associated with R&D so that might be by design...

Anyhow I can understand how staying in a hotel in Tinley Park would get old fast. Tinley Park is a decent enough place for those with families but really is pretty bland. A car is a MUST, as the odds of being able to walk to other than a strip mall or fast food place are tiny. You will need to be able to get to Chicago for the weekends and there is not great commuter rail options. Driving is going to central to getting around.

Tough thing is that because of where Glenwood is located there really are not too many nearby options for anything that is cosmopolitian at all. I mean if you were out nearer to Argonne Lab or Fermi or some of the Universities (like UofC or Northwestern) you'd have a much higher probability of encountering some fellow Brits. Heck, even if you were closer to an area that had more business travelers (like Oak Brook, Schaumburg or Naperville) you might at least have some hotel bars to watch a soccer game / hang out in.

You might want to explore the idea of some kind of corporate housing near Oak Brook (home to major corporations) or even Burr Ridge (which is pretty near to Argonne Lab), as you ought to be able to drive down the tollway in not much more than 30-45 minutes or so...

Old 05-27-2010, 09:41 AM

4,112 posts, read 9,063,305 times
Glenwood is very nice.

Old 05-27-2010, 10:24 AM

I don't really think there is a much wrong with Glenwood as with some of the neighboring towns, but it really does not have a lot going for it. It is far from pretty much everything, which I think is sortuva by-product of the large amount of Forest Preserves, which is kind of strategy of a bygone era of suburban development.

I have played golf down there a couple of times and I can understand how folks in that area would be worried that a third airport would take away from the impressive quiet they have, but realistically there are not enough jobs or reasons for most folks in the region to even head out that way and the prospect of some large employment effort seems like it could do some long term good...

Old 05-27-2010, 02:23 PM

9 posts, read 38,702 times
Default Good stuff

Thank you so much for all the help and information; it really is helping me get a clear picture of what to expect and in all honesty has taken away a lot of the anxiety I was feeling about such a big move.

I'm thinking Tinley Park will be the starting point for me and and then use my spare time to investigate the reagion.

Shopping is my favourite thing, so hitting some big Malls will be high on my list

Old 05-27-2010, 02:44 PM

1,966 posts, read 6,074,538 times
For what it's worth, I think Tinley is 1/2 notch more tolerable than Chet does, and maybe a full notch better than it sounds. At least much of leans toward more rustic/peaceful, not just boilerplate suburban tract housing (my daughter takes riding lessons there), the commercial strip on Oak Park Avenue near the train station is small but has some charm, primarily because the road is small (compare to e.g. Lagrange, which is much better but where the commerce is along a large, loud road). It is also near endless middle and upper middle class strip mall heaven (or hell, depending on your perspective) -- ie the shopping districts of Orland Park. At least it's convenient. Definitely Tinley is not an "it" suburb but it also isn't completely cheesy and without charm. I would take Tinley over a comparable place further out, like Darien or Lemont, any day.

Old 05-27-2010, 03:03 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,780,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Glenwood is pretty crummy.
For a second I got Glenwood and Glenview crossed in my mind, and I was like "Whaaaaaatt?". They are very different suburbs.

Old 05-27-2010, 04:32 PM

Glenwood, and frankly a lot of suburbs that were developed around the same time, have a kind of "semi-rural incompleteness" that is not real appealing. It is not so much that there are trashy or run-down, just that the kinds of things that one would have hoped to develop in the 1950's to give the place some authethentic charm sorta got short circuited.

This is by no means exclusive to the south suburbs, and I think LK has noted that in several other towns, some that are surrounded by some pretty charming features. Odd thing too is that I suspect the Glenwood town fathers know that are sorta lacking charm and probably worked with developers to sort of 'pretty up' things. I see on google street view that there is one of those "mixed use" buildings that looks kinds newer, but like in too many cases the mere presence of residential units over retail does little the make a true walkable town center: glenwood IL - Google Maps

In other towns where land values soared due to demand for teardowns or similar redevelopment the recent intensive buildings efforts have really made some dramatic transformations. Sadly the lack of demand for such things (and I think a bias against the lower perceived value of the south suburbs ...) may leave such towns a bit shakier than had they done nothing. I worry that these "mixed use" places will never attract the same kind of owners that the developers promised to the ZBAs that approved them -- affluent downtown workers that want to spend money in a retail store under their condo / apartment. Instead the retail space may only be rented by business that generate little if any sales tax revenue and the residential units may attract folks that are not part of desirable strata (which may include seniors, Section 8, transients, those prohibited by law from living too close to a school et cetera)...

Live and learn.

Old 06-01-2010, 12:43 PM

829 posts, read 2,087,399 times
Why commute when you don't have to? If you want to rent take a look at Flossmoor or Homewood. Less than 10 minutes from glenwood. Nice downtown area with local eateries, bars, and a few cafes. The area has a very accepting and unpretentious feel to it. The Flossmoor Brewery is great with good food and friendly people who hang out there regularly, and a nice selection of beers that are brewed there. A good professional crowd hangs out at the local places and live there. There are several other good local establishments. It appears Flossmoor has one the highest concentrations of University of Chicago professors and administration living outside of Hyde Park where the university is located. Are you looking to rent a house or apartment? Homewood, Flossmoor, and Olympia Fields all have metra train stations that go to downtown Chicago. This is something that all the other towns mentioned don't have and many people who live in Tinley Park, Orland Park and other areas drive to these metra stations every morning to make there commute to the city. Homewood and Flossmoor have more rental options on the midrange or upscale level. In Olympia Fields not much to rent. Only really expensive houses for rent. All three areas are very safe. Flossmoor and Olympia Fields are upper middle class with average household incomes over $100,000. Homewood is more middle class with a couple of upper middle class subdivisions, but has a great downtown area with a few nice bars, restaurants, and cafes. Flossmoor, Homewood, and Olympia Fields are all family friendly options with great public and private school options to fit any preference for high achievement if you have children.

Last edited by allen2323; 06-01-2010 at 01:52 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs