Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 06:13 PM

6 posts, read 17,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
they considered white people as creations from a mad black scientist named Yacub and often see white people as blue-eyed white devils. I don't know if most still believed that though.

I wonder if this explains why these middle-eastern adults [several families] who live across the street from my parents, spit whenever they see them?

Last edited by JTchicago; 04-25-2010 at 06:17 PM.. Reason: boo boo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2010, 07:14 PM

1,070 posts, read 2,919,308 times
Wow, this is something I have never heard about. I prefer the term Middle Easterners or Asians though...I try to be as PC as I can so I won't hurt feelings

Anyway, next time I am riding through, I will pay more attention

Old 04-25-2010, 08:48 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,363,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTchicago View Post
I wonder if this explains why these middle-eastern adults [several families] who live across the street from my parents, spit whenever they see them?
Oooh yummy.

Id hock a lung cookie right back at em.

Old 04-25-2010, 09:48 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,192,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deechee View Post
Wow, this is something I have never heard about. I prefer the term Middle Easterners or Asians though...I try to be as PC as I can so I won't hurt feelings

Anyway, next time I am riding through, I will pay more attention
If you riding pass Harvey, go to 152nd & Broadway(it near downtown) and that block is almost 100% Indian/Pakistani.

Old 04-26-2010, 03:19 PM

320 posts, read 717,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
The Nation of Islam is not considered a true Muslim branch by many. NOI focus alot on Black nationalism and separatism. Historically, they considered white people as creations from a mad black scientist named Yacub and often see white people as blue-eyed white devils. I don't know if most still believed that though.
Actually, I've heard mixed views from different Muslims. The NOI are muslim in the sense that they follow the five pillars of Islam. Besides the racist views, what actually makes most orthodox muslims cringe the most is the fact that they believe that Allah came to Elijah Muhammad (The Founder) in the person of Master Fard Muhammad and the Elijah Muhammad himself is the last "Messenger" of God (A.K.A. Master Fard Muhammad). In other words, this means that Allah (God) is a human and the Prophet Muhammad isn't the last "Messenger" of Allah (he's only the last "Prophet"). This is considered a major h#!! no by most mainstream Muslims.

In a nutshell, the NOI is sort of like the Mormons of Islam.

Old 04-27-2010, 06:30 AM

4,112 posts, read 9,063,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deechee View Post
I try to be as PC as I can so I won't hurt feelings
Taking precautions to not anyone's feelings is all well and good as long as you're still being honest. And sometimes PC language is dishonest.

The term "African American" is probably one of the best and most prominent examples of this. What if a black person with a thick British accent immigrates here from England? Are they not English-American or are we just gonna stick with African American? What about all the white people in South Africa? If they immigrate, are they not African American? And why aren't white people ever called European American?

Old 04-27-2010, 06:48 AM

2,156 posts, read 5,489,551 times
Default Just a little friendly info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
Taking precautions to not anyone's feelings is all well and good as long as you're still being honest. And sometimes PC language is dishonest.

The term "African American" is probably one of the best and most prominent examples of this. What if a black person with a thick British accent immigrates here from England? Are they not English-American or are we just gonna stick with African American? What about all the white people in South Africa? If they immigrate, are they not African American? And why aren't white people ever called European American?
I understand what you are saying in this..but regarding your last question, the reason why is because MOST White people know what their exact ancestry is and MOST African-Americans (whose ancestors were part of the slave trade) cannot pinpoint any specific place besides Africa.....The term "African-American" is unique in that it really only applies to Blacks whose families have been here since the slave trade and are not new immigrants. If a Black person came from Ghana and had children here, they would probably be called African-American when in reality, they are "1st Generation Ghanaian in America".....it is complicated to say, so people usually use "African-American" even though it is not the proper term for ALL Blacks.

Old 04-27-2010, 12:55 PM

320 posts, read 717,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post

To add on what Deechee said. African American is a politically correct term that is used in this country to define the ethnicity and culture of "native" Black American's. A white South African wouldn't be called African American b/c they are ethnically "White" South African (British, Dutch, Afrikaans, Boer, Rhodesian, etc.). It would be more pc to call them South African American rather than the other.

A "Black" American or Black Person is any person of at least partial Sub-Saharan African Ancestry. Look at it this way: All African Americans are Black, but not all Blacks are African American. In other words, A person from Jamaica is Jamaican American, A person from Kenya is Kenyan American; Haitian Americans, Nigerian Americans, Ethiopian Americans, Somali Americans, (Black) South African Americans are all Black, but are not African Americans. A White South African is neither Black American (b/c they consider “White American”) nor are they African American (b/c their ancestry is in South Africa). Therefore, taking race out of the equation, the only way they can become An African American is if they are raised within or integrate themselves into African American culture--this is the same for all Black people in general.

Barack Obama is a perfect example of a person whose ancestry isn't African American nor was he raised by AA’s, but has fully integrated into AA culture. On the flip side, Tony Parker is a person of partial African American ancestry, but is more culturally French.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

Old 04-27-2010, 04:42 PM

2,156 posts, read 5,489,551 times
Default All African Americans are Black, but not all Blacks are African American.

That is the best explanation!

Thanks Suburban_boy!

Old 04-27-2010, 04:45 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,192,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suburban_boy View Post
To add on what Deechee said. African American is a politically correct term that is used in this country to define the ethnicity and culture of "native" Black American's. A white South African wouldn't be called African American b/c they are ethnically "White" South African (British, Dutch, Afrikaans, Boer, Rhodesian, etc.). It would be more pc to call them South African American rather than the other.

A "Black" American or Black Person is any person of at least partial Sub-Saharan African Ancestry. Look at it this way: All African Americans are Black, but not all Blacks are African American. In other words, A person from Jamaica is Jamaican American, A person from Kenya is Kenyan American; Haitian Americans, Nigerian Americans, Ethiopian Americans, Somali Americans, (Black) South African Americans are all Black, but are not African Americans. A White South African is neither Black American (b/c they consider “White American”) nor are they African American (b/c their ancestry is in South Africa). Therefore, taking race out of the equation, the only way they can become An African American is if they are raised within or integrate themselves into African American culture--this is the same for all Black people in general.

Barack Obama is a perfect example of a person whose ancestry isn't African American nor was he raised by AA’s, but has fully integrated into AA culture. On the flip side, Tony Parker is a person of partial African American ancestry, but is more culturally French.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
Both you and Northwest Indiana explain it well. I hope that will end the confusion. Interesting enough, some African-Americans(those who are descendants of USA slavery) don't like the term. As for me, I used both Black and African-American. Black as the race I'm affiliated with and African American as my culture/ethnicity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs