Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 09:49 AM

40 posts, read 228,579 times

Advertisements

Hi, can anyone please tell me why people would move from Naperville to Hinsdale? What's the difference between the two? Thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2007, 11:27 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,359,841 times
Theyre similar, but Hinsdale is alot smaller. Their downtowns are kinda similar, but Napervilles is much more lively and geared towards the pub-hoppers and a younger crowd (but not completely), and Hinsdale's downtown is more geared towards the older, rich crowd. Hinsdale is closer to the city and has comparable home prices (but probably alot higher in areas than Naperville), and just as good schools. I think thats what attracts ex-Napervillans to Hinsdale?

On a side note, Hinsdale reminds me of the downtown Naperville area. People are paying top $ for a old home, which they promptly tear down and build a mansion (not McMansions mind you) on the lot. Everytime I drive through Hinsdale Im amazed at the amount of brand new homes on old lots.

Old 06-08-2007, 11:31 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,455,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondmom View Post
Hi, can anyone please tell me why people would move from Naperville to Hinsdale? What's the difference between the two? Thanks so much.
Closer to the city, bigger house, school issues, neighbor issues, problems with current house, better snob appeal, felt like it, liked the color of the new house, or about a million other possible reasons.

As to differences, there's been about a gizillion different threads on these two suburbs. I'm sure you can get a flavor of the differences using the search feature. For one thing, Hinsdale is viewed as an "ultimate destination" suburb like Winnetka, Lake Forest, etc. and just oozes snob appeal. The Cadillac of image suburbs perhaps. Naperville is very nice and has very strong snob appeal too, but it's not quite up to Hinsdale's level. Maybe the Buick of image suburbs. That may just be a function of size -- it's easier for there to be some riff raff when you have 100k+ people versus 17k people.

Old 06-08-2007, 11:32 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,345,372 times
Hinsdale is bigger $$. And everyone wants the "hinsdale address". It's all about status.

Elmhurst and Clarendon hills prices are also now comparable, going for 1-2 mill for the teardowns now.

Old 06-08-2007, 11:43 AM

677 posts, read 4,209,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
Elmhurst and Clarendon hills prices are also now comparable, going for 1-2 mill for the teardowns now.
It's been that way in Western Springs too for the past 5 years or so. When my sister sold her house here two years ago we spent all summer painting and fixing it up, and then the buyers tore it down. It makes me sad that young families are getting priced out of my hometown because every small house that goes on the market gets torn down for a $1 mil mansion.

Old 06-08-2007, 11:46 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,359,841 times
Thats why I like towns like Lake Forest, Barrington, etc. Its old money. Beautiful monstrous mansions on wonderful lots. You dont get that in Naperville or Hinsdale, etc. I never understood why people would throw up a 3 million dollar mansion on a lot so small that you can touch your neighbor's house through your kitchen window. Ugh.

Old 06-08-2007, 04:46 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,455,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirstenleigh View Post
It's been that way in Western Springs too for the past 5 years or so. When my sister sold her house here two years ago we spent all summer painting and fixing it up, and then the buyers tore it down. It makes me sad that young families are getting priced out of my hometown because every small house that goes on the market gets torn down for a $1 mil mansion.
This has been happening in a big way in my old neighborhood in Elmhurst too. Not a fan. That's why I like the bungalow belt. I don't think you could knock one of those things down even if you wanted to!

Old 06-08-2007, 07:14 PM

4,721 posts, read 15,609,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
This has been happening in a big way in my old neighborhood in Elmhurst too. Not a fan. That's why I like the bungalow belt. I don't think you could knock one of those things down even if you wanted to!
I was raised in Elmhurst,our bungalow is just about the last one standing on our old street.Those big houses seem inches apart and block out all sun.So many big trees gone.The old houses seem so lost and over powered.Seems all the new McMansions are starting to look alike.And I sure dont see alot of similarities between Hinsdale and N,ville.You dont see all the traffic,chain stores,big box stores or subdivisions that you find in N,ville.I think thats nouvou,and Hinsdale is old classy

Old 06-19-2007, 02:55 PM

2,029 posts, read 2,358,697 times
Default More than just status

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
Hinsdale is bigger $$. And everyone wants the "hinsdale address". It's all about status.

Its more than just status. I live in Hinsdale, and my kids go to school with kids that have moved from Naperville. It is location, location, location. Who needs to be in Napertucky when they can be a short train ride away from the city, a short drive to Oak Brook, and close to I-55, the 294, rt 83 and the Eisenhower expressway?

Hinsdale, all in all, is beautiful, and is blessed with hills and big trees, and looks like it was lifted from Connecticut. Add to the fact that all 5 of its elementary schoold are in the top 25 in the state, Hinsdale Cental the no. 2 public high shcol behind New Trier, and there are are many reasons to move here from Naperville. While I think the shopping in Naperville is probably better, and you definitely get more house for your money, living in a flat subdivision with OK schools so far out of the city is not a draw for me. If you looked at the last Tribune price gauge in the Real Estate section, you will see that Hinsdale rose in median price from $707.000 to $914,000 in one year, Naperville rose from $340.000 to $345,000. You get what you pay for, and investments in close in places with limited places to expand is just a good investment as well.

Old 01-25-2019, 10:50 AM

1 posts, read 2,916 times
While I agree with the last post, I have to say that Naperville schools are more than just Ok! The majority of them are consistently rated a 10/10. I was raised there and can attest to this. I grew up with a learning disability and I can’t tell you how wonderful they were. I even grew out of the “disability” in HS because of the amazing team there was. Also, Naperville won for “America’s top city to raise a family” (Niche, 2018), and “Best city to live in America” (Niche, 2018). I don’t believe this is the first year for them to win this either! The downtown is incredible (nothing comes close in my opinion), but as last user said it is farther from Chicago, it is flat whereas lots of pretty hills in Hinsdale, and it is much more expensive in Hinsdale. Also, naperville is MUCH larger. I can’t say much about the people in Hinsdale as I wasn’t raised there, but I absolutely loved growing up in Naperville and looking back, I feel very fortunate. Amazing sports teams, too!
P.S. I know this is old but came across this so wanted to comment
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs