Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2007, 11:03 AM

26 posts, read 120,911 times

Advertisements

We have been focusing our search in the Grayslake area, but I was recently sent a great listing in the Lake Villa area. Any thoughts on this area? Schools, safety, etc. How about Lindenhurst??

Thanks in advance!
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2007, 07:01 PM

677 posts, read 4,214,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txnmom View Post
We have been focusing our search in the Grayslake area, but I was recently sent a great listing in the Lake Villa area. Any thoughts on this area? Schools, safety, etc. How about Lindenhurst??

Thanks in advance!
Lindenhurst is very safe (it's the 7th safest town in the metro area), Lake Villa less so but I wouldn't call it a dangerous place at all. As for the schools, District 24 (Millburn) is very good, and I would avoid District 41 (Lake Villa). I believe most of District 24 feeds to Warren Township High School, which is better than the other nearby high schools (Grayslake, Lakes, and Antioch).

Old 05-31-2007, 01:26 PM

59 posts, read 248,939 times
I would suggest Antioch. We have a great town. Schools are good. Housing is very affordable. Lindenhurst and Lake Villa have pretty high property taxes. Aviod Nueman Homes subdivision in Antioch/Lake Villa. You can get a little more for your money in Antioch. Here in Antioch we have all your local chain restaraunts. Plus we have a superwalmart, Menards and coming soon Kohls Lowes And Target. We also have a metra rail commuter station that goes to downtown Chicago. Grayslake has had some serious issues with schools, and they are taxing people out of their homes. On my street we have 4 families that have left Grayslake simply because of the taxes. So watch out.

Good luck

Old 06-02-2007, 07:00 AM

Thank you for everyone's input. Antioch looks very nice, but all three are even farther than Grayslake from where my hubbie will be working. I agree that the taxes are outrageous, we only pay about $4000 a year on a 3000 sq. ft home here. Having said that, I would love to know where in the Chicago area they aren't expensive. I looked up property taxes for the area and Antioch was the same rate as Grayslake??? So, what am I missing? Just cheaper priced houses??

Old 06-02-2007, 02:21 PM

59 posts, read 248,939 times
yes! It is the homes. In Antioch/Lake Villa you can find a little more land. You can find cheaper homes to the East of Antioch. But you really don't want to live there. You will not find affordable housing anywhere near Chicago. If you want the decent size home in an affordable community, YOU will have to move at 45 or more minutes away . West of Chicago the best place is Algonquin. North of course is Antioch. South honestly you are looking at a 1-1/12 commute. Stat away from Kenosha Wis. Their property taxes are higher than our.

Old 06-02-2007, 08:19 PM

38 posts, read 222,630 times
Oh I love Lake Villa! Such a nice area out there. Great houses for the price too.

Old 06-03-2007, 07:17 PM

Thanks again. It has not been fun looking because everything is sooooo expensive. I thought Ohio was high compared to Texas, but Chicago is definitely worse. And sadly, I will pay more for less house and not as great of schools. But, move we are so thank you for the advice!

Old 06-04-2007, 02:15 PM

21 posts, read 99,180 times
I live in Gurnee, next to Lindenhurst and Grayslake. I'm selling my house by owner, moving to NC. If you like info and pics please PM me. We've lived in this neighborhood for 10 yrs. Very safe, excellent school district close to everything.

Old 07-11-2007, 11:37 PM

3 posts, read 13,233 times
Default Good Choices

Lindenhurst or Lake Villa-both nice communities-Antioch is also-they are all very close. Ps It is a "Buyers" market...and great rates for loans-have a good realtor and mortgage officer working for you.

Last edited by mdz; 07-12-2007 at 06:47 AM.. Reason: can't advertise
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs