Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 05:38 PM

13,008 posts, read 18,937,026 times

Advertisements

Iowa also does more recruiting at Illinois High schools, and will help out new students get oriented ahead of the first day of class. Apparently they rely on Illinois students for much of their enrollment, for Iowa does not take them for granted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2010, 06:02 PM

1,866 posts, read 2,854,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
Yet UIUC, based on IL population, is more at a premium than UW-Madison which serves a much smaller state. Suburban kids go to UW-Madison often as an overflow, but that overflow status is not because of UW-Madison's quality (obviously) but the need to pay out of state tuition, point being that UIUC is much better buy for the buck.
Perhaps I'm ignorant (I didn't go to college), but I would think ISU, Southern Illinois, Northern Illinois, etc would attract more suburban HS students then U of W. Maybe not however.

Old 01-21-2010, 06:26 PM

694 posts, read 2,018,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by css9450 View Post
Perhaps I'm ignorant (I didn't go to college), but I would think ISU, Southern Illinois, Northern Illinois, etc would attract more suburban HS students then U of W. Maybe not however.

Those schools are second tier--- Sure there are exceptions, but kids graduating from a north shore high school, such as Deerfield, want a top tier school, especially if they have a 3.0 or higher.

I was different though--- I wanted the city life and went to one of our fine Jesuit schools in Chicago after graduating Deerfield.

Old 01-21-2010, 06:40 PM

1,083 posts, read 3,728,858 times
DePaw, Dennison, & Miami of Ohio have very large percentage of Chicagoland students. I've also been told that University of Dayton is Chicago heavy.

Old 01-21-2010, 06:44 PM

1,912 posts, read 4,694,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakecountylifer View Post
Those schools are second tier--- Sure there are exceptions, but kids graduating from a north shore high school, such as Deerfield, want a top tier school, especially if they have a 3.0 or higher.

I was different though--- I wanted the city life and went to one of our fine Jesuit schools in Chicago after graduating Deerfield.
Go Jesuits

Old 01-21-2010, 06:52 PM

1,083 posts, read 3,728,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billiken View Post
Go Jesuits
Your screen name also reminds me that SLU has lots and lots of Chicago students.

Old 01-21-2010, 07:13 PM

3,646 posts, read 8,323,462 times
purdue. UofW. Spellman(alot of chicagoland girls there)

Old 01-22-2010, 12:00 PM

286 posts, read 1,368,008 times
I went to Univ of Arizona (go Cats!) and there are a huge number of students from IL. And also WI and IN... ASU is larger in population than UA, but not because of popularity, but because of location - it's in Phoenix where a greater portion of the AZ population is and a good chunk of locals there would rather stay close to home than travel even the 100 miles to Tucson. Odd but true.

Secondly, and I can't figure this one out.. what's wrong with Univ of IL Champaign/Urbana??? I love that campus!

Old 01-22-2010, 02:56 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,853,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Iowa also does more recruiting at Illinois High schools, and will help out new students get oriented ahead of the first day of class. Apparently they rely on Illinois students for much of their enrollment, for Iowa does not take them for granted.
absolutely. and just look at the numbers. Iowa may be the smallest of the B10 public institutions but it is not out of line with the size of its peer universities. But the state of Iowa is far, far smaller than the rest of the B10 states.

Thus there are far more slots to fill from out-of-state at Iowa than at any other school in the conference.

Besides, it was just plain smart for Iowa to build an association with Chicago and with all that relationship entails.

Our public universities, especially flagships, have much autonomy from their states and operate on interests that go far beyond their state borders. Chicago does not have to be in Iowa to have a strong association of the university with the same name.

Old 01-22-2010, 03:24 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,300,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
Which universities outside of the state of Illinois attract so many suburban Chicago students that they literally are a part of our region?
None.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs