Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2010, 04:21 PM

3 posts, read 12,339 times

Advertisements

Currently live in North Naperville and am looking to move to South Wheaton. Our realtor is a family member who sells mainly in Naperville & is not very familiar with Wheaton subdivisions. I am hoping others can point us to the subdivisions that meet our needs:
Lots of kids (ours are not yet in elem school)
Larger yards
Wooded
Min sq ft around 2600
Budget 500-625K

Of the locations listed below, do some of these meet our needs better than others?
Danada
Arrowhead
Orchard Estates
Farnham
Marywood
Briarcliffe
Scottdale

Thank you in advance for your help & comments.

abj602
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2010, 01:47 PM

I am hoping to bump this thread up & someone will respond. Looking at past thread I see that there a number of Wheaton residents who frequent this board & I am hoping they will chime in.

Thanks!

Old 01-22-2010, 08:14 AM

610 posts, read 2,730,828 times
Hello! I will chime in with my personal thoughts. My favorite neighborhoods in south Wheaton are Arrowhead, High Knob, Orchard Estates, Farnham and the area around Madison School ( some call it Spring Valley, the Streams, etc...) The description you gave about your family's needs can be met in all of these subdivisions. The only real difference between them is elementary and middle school attendance areas. High knob and Orchard Estates are the smaller subdivisions on the list. Next in line in terms of size would be Farnham and then Arrowhead and the "Streams" area.
Based on your price point, I'd personally go with Farnham or Orchard Estates. However, I don't think there is too much for sale in Orchard Estates right now. Farnham is so great becasue you can ride bikes uptown pretty easily and you are adjacent to Seven Gables Park. Plus, Danada shopping is just a mile away. Orchard Estates is a lovely area. All homes have either cedar shake roofs or are all brick exteriors. Smaller yard but good size trees. I like how it is private but surrounded by Arrowhead so you have lots of kids nearby! The main thing to consider is which school you want to attend in the future. All three attend great elementary schools - Wiesbrook,Madison or Whitter. The middle schools are Edison or Hubble. Hubble is the new school built off of Herrick Road. Edison is an older building but a great school! You can't go wrong with either one in my opinion. All areas have families with children and some empty nesters who are slowly moving out. I really like Farnham and would move there in a heart beat (but my kids would have to change schools and would never let me live it down). Let me know if you have any other questions. You've picked great areas and with this market you can get a great house for the money!!

Old 01-22-2010, 01:13 PM

Thanks so much for your input. A couple of questions.

1) Where is Orchard Estates located? When our realtor searched it in the MLS nothing came up. Do you know any particular streets?

2) Any thoughts about Danada East & West. We like the home sizes there. The lots are smaller & not as many trees though. Are there a lot of children? Is one better than the other? We noticed that Danada West seems to run 100K more for the same house--any thought why?

3) We would be moving from a house built in the 70's and my husband really prefers moving to something newer (late 80s early 90s). We drove Farnham & loved the lots but it appears that the homes are older with some newer homes that are out of our price point...is that a correct assumption?

4) Are there certain subdivisions that are known for their social events: organized playgroups/ block parties/ etc?

I can not thank you enough for taking the time to share your thoughts with us. It is greatly appreciated!

abj602

Old 01-22-2010, 09:31 PM

610 posts, read 2,730,828 times
1) Where is Orchard Estates located? When our realtor searched it in the MLS nothing came up. Do you know any particular streets?

I don't think there is anything for sale in Orchard Estates right now. If you head north on Orchard Rd off of Butterfield you will come to Maplewood Drive. Make a left and that is Orchard Estates. There is one way in and one way out. Great area. All homes built had to be all brick OR have a cedar shake roof. It is surrounded by Arrowhead Subdivision.

2) Any thoughts about Danada East & West. We like the home sizes there. The lots are smaller & not as many trees though. Are there a lot of children? Is one better than the other? We noticed that Danada West seems to run 100K more for the same house--any thought why?

In my personal opinion Danada East and West are very similar. Danada North is not the same as East and West. West is smaller and a bit newer but mostly built by the same people and offer some of the same models/layouts/features. Some people don't like the fact that the AMLI apartments, Rice pool, and ITT are located close to Danada West. However, some of the homes on the East side back up to the Jewel strip mall, the bank and St. Daniel's church. There are lots of kids on both sides! The biggest difference is school attendance areas. They do not attend the same elem. schools. I personally would live on either side, find a home that you like and don't worry which side it is on Just my opinion.

3) We would be moving from a house built in the 70's and my husband really prefers moving to something newer (late 80s early 90s). We drove Farnham & loved the lots but it appears that the homes are older with some newer homes that are out of our price point...is that a correct assumption?

Most of the homes in Farmham are from the 60's and 70's however, many of them have been updated over the years and are really nice! Yes, there have been a few newer homes built in there and/or a few complete remodels done. Don't let the age of the house deter you. It is a great neighborhood.

4) Are there certain subdivisions that are known for their social events: organized playgroups/ block parties/ etc?

I think you will find block parties and social events in just about any neighborhood. I know people who live all over Wheaton and they talk about parties, gatherings, picnics, etc..... I've lived in four different homes and areas in Wheaton and found plenty of social activities

I can not thank you enough for taking the time to share your thoughts with us. It is greatly appreciated!

No problem. Let me know if you have anymore questions. abj602[/quote

Old 01-25-2010, 09:17 PM

4,152 posts, read 7,950,653 times
Danada- Danada East, West or North are all nice and could fit the bill depending on the house. Its not really wooded
Arrowhead-some or most of this is unincorporated and there are no sidewalks in most of it. Some teardown action going on here.
Orchard Estates-not familar probably right under my nose but don't know the name
Farnham- older homes but still nice. There is a new development tucked away in Farnham that is newer and worth looking at but pricey
Marywood - Worth looking into, pricey
Also don't forget Stonehenge west of Danada West and somewhat a similar feel cheaper prices
Briarcliffe This is not as desirable but price could be right for some
Scottdale same comment here
Also check out Beulieue Woods (off Shaffner Rd.) and the Streams (off Weisbrook) in SW Wheaton
Also Legends on Butterfield and another smalll development east of there. Pricey though

Old 03-28-2012, 11:03 PM

11 posts, read 19,019 times
I lived in Arrowhead as a child/teen. It was wonderful and full of kids. I loved waslking to Herrick Lake, the park on Wiesbrook and the Prairie Path to downtown. I went to Hubble but Hubble was on Roosevelt Rd. then. Friends lived in Danada and loved it. Their house was newer but smaller and no trees. My house had a little over an acre, gardens, mature trees and the house was large. My family updated the home. My family's second choice was Orchard Estates (next to Butterfield and Orchard Rd.) I liked Stonehenge but it did not give me that warm welcoming feeling. Ok, I did not like the kids in that n'hood. Briarcliff is too old and the bus ride is a bit long. Don't they go to Glenbard HS? I loved family days at Arrowhead GC and swim and tennis club too. Its a little more intimate than Rice Pool Lake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs