Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 08:23 AM

2 posts, read 6,970 times

Advertisements

My wife and I live in Milwaukee, and I am looking for work in and around Chicago.

We often disagree on living in the city (she) vs the country (me), but when it comes down to it, we both want lots of greenspace nearby, whether it's in the form of public parks, farmfields, bike trails, community gardens, or zoning/design that holds back some land from the shovel. For me, ideally, a big yard or farmland nearby is best, so I can fulfill my dream of having a small (to very small) hobby orchard and farm.

And even I have come to like the density of a large city (if not metropolis), amenities, and culture, though Chicago is a big leap in density for both of us. That could be acceptable given enough greenspace to mask the presence of all the people around.

I'd like to consider cities and towns that are on or near any Metra line, no matter how far out.

Other factors are important, too, but for now, please give us some idea of where your favorite little paradises may be found out from Chicago and why they charm you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2010, 09:19 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,617,005 times
You dont mention a price, but we have enjoyed Barrington Hills for the space (5 acre min,) beauty (rolling hills, heavily wooded,lakes)and wild life,yet Chicago is close enough to enjoy on occasion. Bull Valley in Woodstock is similar. Those huge house-hotels seem to be popping up spoiling many a view and chopping down trees and older homes for a chance to live in a castle, but thats a gripe with many towns. McHenry area still has farmland and some open spaces that are very nice. Richmond,Wilmot also come to mind.

Last edited by nanannie; 01-12-2010 at 09:27 AM..

Old 01-12-2010, 09:21 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
I am in the Village of Barrington, surrounded by the greater Barrington area, which encompasses about 100 square miles and touches 4 counties, Cook, Lake, Kane and Mc Henry.

The majority of the area outside of the village is one or more acre zoning. The commute to Chicago is about an hour on an express train.

The area is beautiful, with rolling hills, ravines, lakes and woods.

Old 01-12-2010, 11:03 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,911,642 times
True, Barrington Hills is great if you are fabulously wealthy. If not, you may want to check out Beach Park. Close to either Zion or Waukegan Metra stations, it is adjacent to IL Beach State Park, and a few Lake County preserves. And you may be able to afford an acre or two there.

Old 01-12-2010, 02:23 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
True, Barrington Hills is great if you are fabulously wealthy. If not, you may want to check out Beach Park. Close to either Zion or Waukegan Metra stations, it is adjacent to IL Beach State Park, and a few Lake County preserves. And you may be able to afford an acre or two there.
We have no idea how much the OP can afford or wants to spend, or not.

The greater Barrington area is huge and there are properties with land that can be had for $350-400K. Beleive it or not, most folk in the greater Barrington area are not wealthy.

Only a tiny percentage of property in the Beach Park area has any land to speak of.

I do like Nanannie's suggestion to consider the greater Woodstock/Bull Valley area, too.

Then there's Wadsworth and Antioch, near the Wisconsin border. Probably easier to commute to Mil. than Chicago, from there.

Old 01-12-2010, 05:04 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,287,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomdeme View Post
My wife and I live in Milwaukee, and I am looking for work in and around Chicago.

We often disagree on living in the city (she) vs the country (me), but when it comes down to it, we both want lots of greenspace nearby, whether it's in the form of public parks, farmfields, bike trails, community gardens, or zoning/design that holds back some land from the shovel. For me, ideally, a big yard or farmland nearby is best, so I can fulfill my dream of having a small (to very small) hobby orchard and farm.

Other factors are important, too, but for now, please give us some idea of where your favorite little paradises may be found out from Chicago and why they charm you.
Harvard has a lot of greenspace in the area.

Old 01-12-2010, 08:57 PM

37 posts, read 116,929 times
Hello. What is your home price range? How soon are you looking to move? I suggest Mchenry area. I am about to list my 3 bed lakefront home in the middle of peterson park in Mchenry. It's five minutes from metra station and has the secluded look and everything you are looking for.
pm me for details if interested.
Keven

Old 01-13-2010, 10:56 AM

223 posts, read 757,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomdeme View Post

And even I have come to like the density of a large city (if not metropolis), amenities, and culture, though Chicago is a big leap in density for both of us. That could be acceptable given enough greenspace to mask the presence of all the people around.

I'd like to consider cities and towns that are on or near any Metra line, no matter how far out.

Take a look at Elburn/Geneva.. Elburn is cheaper and more country-like, Geneva has a very nice downtown and lots of bike trails, forest preserve, etc..., although a house there close to the train would be relatively expensive

Old 01-13-2010, 04:02 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,266,813 times
Depends on your definition of green space. I'm 2 blocks from a 50 acre lake, bike paths, parks and lots of green space surrounding it. My lot is about 1/5 acre and although I can see my neighbor's homes, I don't feel right on top of them and there are tons of mature trees. So no Orchard or large lot, but here smack dab in the middle of suburbia, I have a spot with some nice nature around me without the distances/hassles of having to live farther out for more rural surroundings.

Old 01-13-2010, 08:39 PM

2 posts, read 6,970 times
Thanks for the feedback so far. To answer questions about our situation, we could make the move two to five months from now. As for price range, I prefer not to rule out options, since I would hope I'm willing to pay for paradise. That said, we plan to live well below our means and have simple tastes.

To clarify the desired acreage, anywhere from 1/2 to 2 acres is enough, and I can have a flexible concept of greenspace.

Last edited by tomdeme; 01-13-2010 at 10:07 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs