Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 08:29 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,302,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomdeme View Post
Thanks for the feedback so far. To answer questions about our situation, we could make the move two to five months from now. As for price range, I prefer not to rule out options, since I would hope I'm willing to pay for paradise. That said, we plan to live well below our means and have simple tastes.

To clarify the desired acreage, anywhere from 1/2 to 2 acres is enough, and I can have a flexible concept of greenspace.
Try Prospect Heights, specifically neighborhoods that attend Dist 23 and Hersey HS. Nice 1/2 to 1 acre lots, lots of mature trees, yet close to shopping and 2 Metra lines. Also close to O'Hare yet far enough so jet noise is not aggravating. It's a suburb with a small-town rural feel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2010, 10:53 AM

178 posts, read 603,288 times
I'm enjoying reading along on this thread. We, too are considering a move to Chicago and are a bit freaked out by the density. We'd love some space--about as much as the OP indicated--and I am learning that to get that (without paying more than a million for a home), there will likely be at least an hour commute to/from downtown by train. Does this sound accurate?

One poster said that the train would be expensive from someplace as far out as GEneva. Hhow expensive? Can someone elaborate on that? It's factor that we're not used to considering.

Thx!

Old 01-20-2010, 12:57 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,008,289 times
Tickets The ticket prices are based on the zones traveled. This site has just about everything you could possibly want for commuting info.

Old 01-20-2010, 01:34 PM

3,131 posts, read 11,669,888 times
metra station is in elburn. the elburn, sugar grove, maple park, kaneville areas are all very rural. lots of open space and farmland. the areas outside of elburn can be to the train station in 15 minutes. there are a variety of housing sizes, prices...from town homes to million dollar mansions.

Old 01-21-2010, 06:05 PM

13,009 posts, read 18,974,181 times
Train tickets are not that great a burden. From zone H (35-40 miles) it costs $152.55 monthly. Zone J (45-50 miles) is $178.20. The cost per mile generally goes down the farther out you go.

Old 01-22-2010, 03:40 PM

10 posts, read 50,835 times
While you will not get a farm setting here...all these areas have Metra hubs and great park ditricts/preserves and would be consider popular west suburban locatoins. While pricey, the downtown quandrants of Naperville have a fabulous nature setting, yet cosmopolitan downtwon for the wife.

Naperville
Downers grove
Wheaton
Glen Ellyn

Old 01-25-2010, 08:00 PM

1,070 posts, read 2,927,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cookpr View Post
While you will not get a farm setting here...all these areas have Metra hubs and great park ditricts/preserves and would be consider popular west suburban locatoins. While pricey, the downtown quandrants of Naperville have a fabulous nature setting, yet cosmopolitan downtwon for the wife.

Naperville
Downers grove
Wheaton
Glen Ellyn
Out of those, I'd suggest Wheaton. Just cosmo enough, but still beautiful and safe with lots of mature trees and nature otherwise.

Great suggestion

Old 01-25-2010, 09:01 PM

4,152 posts, read 7,978,331 times
Wheaton fits part of the bill. Lots of green space, parks, trails, etc. No farm or orchard but you could have a big garden and some trees depending on the lot. Also look into Winfield or Warrenville. They are closeby but have somewhat more of a rural feel to parts of them. All near the UP train line and transport into Chicago.

Old 01-25-2010, 10:07 PM

1,070 posts, read 2,927,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToriaT View Post
Wheaton fits part of the bill. Lots of green space, parks, trails, etc. No farm or orchard but you could have a big garden and some trees depending on the lot. Also look into Winfield or Warrenville. They are closeby but have somewhat more of a rural feel to parts of them. All near the UP train line and transport into Chicago.
I love Winfield. That would be a great place to raise kids...

Old 05-03-2010, 10:09 PM

22 posts, read 50,047 times
Parts of Barrington are not as expensive as you think. We actually moved to over an acre in a beautiful green space for a good price. Lots of express trains to Barrington. PM me if you want more info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs