Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 12:20 AM

15,586 posts, read 27,686,628 times

Advertisements

^ Oberweis! Oberweis! Oberweis! ^
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2010, 03:43 AM

1,273 posts, read 4,425,113 times
An old phrase I learned in political science at Mount Holyoke: "Democrats always worry that the public will find out about their proposals or actions. Republicans always worry that the public won't find out about their proposals or ideas." I am not sure who said it, but as a person who has tried to be involved in Republican politics in urban communities like inner-city Los Angeles and Chicago, in addition to local committees, I can say that it is extremely frustrating to see Democrats destroy urban neighborhoods and urban schools, and urban minorities continue to vote for the Democratic Party. I used to be more willing to consider candidates outside the Republican Party, but after Democrats destructive actions to limit school-choice and their closer and closer relationship to trial lawyers I have a very hard time believing anything they say or supporting any of their proposals. I once went to a New Trier Democrats event where they tried to say that allowing for open-enrollment in schools it could potentially destroy the quality of the education students at New Trier Twp. schools receive. I increasingly find Democratic policies to be racist, classist, elitist, and bad for America.

Old 01-12-2010, 08:33 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,104,831 times
US-Traveller - That is an interesting take, and I'm sure that there are those who truly espouse the ideas you claim and politics attracts some truly selfish and loathsome people of all political persuasions. However, surely you have to see the mistakes the Republicans have made over the years attempting to court the urban community.

Growing up in and around Chicago, and never living in what could be considered an affluent community, I early on got the impression that the Republicans would rather we simply not exist. The Dems, for all their faults (and believe me, they have faults), at the very least, weren't trying to slash public services, cut taxes on people whose incomes were out of reach for most everyone we know, slash public transportation, didn't succumb to the culture wars which seemed to demonize urban neighborhoods and their residents (I grew up knowing people on welfare, and none of them were Regan's famous 'welfare queens'). If the Republicans truly want to make inroads into urban areas, they are going to have to address these issues. Given the last national election, with Palin's comments about the "pro-america parts of america" they don't seem all that willing to acknowledge that quite frankly, in urban areas they have a huge image problem they are loathe to address least they alienate a certain base who thrive on the very image that alienates them in urban areas.

Old 01-12-2010, 09:14 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,846,216 times
Most folk want more and someone else to pay for it.

The candidate who walks the fine line best at convincing people that he/she can achieve this, is the most likely to be elected, regardless of party affiliation.

Top 5 employers in Chicago:

1. U.S. Government
2. Chicago Public Schools
3. City of Chicago
4. Walmart
5. Cook Cty.

Reducing government spending means reducing services and eliminating jobs which means NOD CUT people and increased unemployment benefit costs. And around we go.

Last edited by linicx; 02-11-2010 at 06:05 AM..

Old 01-12-2010, 12:00 PM

3,699 posts, read 5,014,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
US-Traveller - That is an interesting take, and I'm sure that there are those who truly espouse the ideas you claim and politics attracts some truly selfish and loathsome people of all political persuasions. However, surely you have to see the mistakes the Republicans have made over the years attempting to court the urban community.

Growing up in and around Chicago, and never living in what could be considered an affluent community, I early on got the impression that the Republicans would rather we simply not exist. The Dems, for all their faults (and believe me, they have faults), at the very least, weren't trying to slash public services, cut taxes on people whose incomes were out of reach for most everyone we know, slash public transportation, didn't succumb to the culture wars which seemed to demonize urban neighborhoods and their residents (I grew up knowing people on welfare, and none of them were Regan's famous 'welfare queens'). If the Republicans truly want to make inroads into urban areas, they are going to have to address these issues. Given the last national election, with Palin's comments about the "pro-america parts of america" they don't seem all that willing to acknowledge that quite frankly, in urban areas they have a huge image problem they are loathe to address least they alienate a certain base who thrive on the very image that alienates them in urban areas.

Yeap and this is why they have such trouble in urban areas. Bush cut taxes on people making $100,000 or more(well the vast majority of people I know make much less than that). I know people that DEPEND on the cta to get to work and you want to cut it???? And growing up I got the feeling that if you were not white, with 2.5 kids in some burb they were not interested in you.

Their positions are irrelevant for many city dwellers and until they find a way to make them relevant they will have problems. I also suspect that many of the burbs are getting big city type problems as population increases. Small government and personal responsibility work best in small situations. In larger areas there will need to be more rules, more people enforcing the rules and so on. For instance if the city tried to save money by plowing the snow like some of the more distant burbs it would shut down. That maybe the reason why they are turning blue more than anything else. I sometimes wish Chicago had a Republican party like New York's but alas we do not.

Old 01-12-2010, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
...Top 5 employers in Chicago:

1. U.S. Government
2. Chicago Public Schools
3. City of Chicago
4. Walmart
5. Cook Cty.
I find it very hard to believe Walmart employs more people in Chicago than Cook County government. There are what 2-3 Walmart's in the entire city?

Last edited by Avengerfire; 01-12-2010 at 01:51 PM..

Old 01-12-2010, 01:11 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,104,831 times
There are quite a few Walmarts in Cook County, just not in the city.

Old 01-12-2010, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
There are quite a few Walmarts in Cook County, just not in the city.
middle-aged mom listed the "Top 5 employers in Chicago" not the "Top 5 employers in the Chicago area" or the "Top 5 employers in Cook County."

Something is not correct with the rankings.

I would love if she posted the link where she found this info to see what criteria was used. There is no way Walmart has more employees in the City of Chicago than Cook County government does.

Old 01-12-2010, 02:48 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,846,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
middle-aged mom listed the "Top 5 employers in Chicago" not the "Top 5 employers in the Chicago area" or the "Top 5 employers in Cook County."

Something is not correct with the rankings.

I would love if she posted the link where she found this info to see what criteria was used. There is no way Walmart has more employees in the City of Chicago than Cook County government does.
I too was very surprised by Walmart being on the list, given there are not many stores. My best guess is that it might include Sam's Club and the massive regional Walmart Distribution center. I am thinking the Crain's count may mean people who live in Chicago and work in the area.

Perhaps someone is a member of Crains online and can locate the specific article.

CRAIN'S CHICAGO BUSINESS Ranked by number of employees as of 9/30/2008

A list of the area's 25 largest employers, ranked by number of Chicago-based full-time employees. Published Jan. 5, 2009.

Rank Company No. of full-time local employees as of 9/30/2008:

1 U.S. Government 78,000
2 Chicago Public Schools 43,910
3 City of Chicago 35,570
4 Wal-Mart Stores Inc. 23,453
5 Cook County 22,142 6 State of Illinois 18,124

Old 01-12-2010, 03:10 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,975,889 times
Chicago's Largest Employers | Crain's Chicago Business
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs