Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2010, 11:03 PM

3 posts, read 23,357 times

Advertisements

My family (husband, 2 kids, 2 dogs) are moving to Chicago for a year. We plan to rent and have been looking at the Oak Park area and Forest Park area as well. I have lived in the city before, and didn't think twice about if I was safe or not, but now that I have kids, the mother bear is coming out in me. I have been reading the threads and can't decide if I should be worried or not about living in OP. We are needing to make a decision on a rental place in the next month. Right now our front runners are on Mapleton Ave close to Division street in OP, and Ferdinand Ave close to Fillmore Street in Forest Park. I know these questions get asked all the time, but I don't feel like I have the answers yet. I just want to make sure I am in a safe area and can walk my dogs, and kids to the park without being worried. I have friends in the city as well, so being able to ride the 'L' in is a huge plus. We want to get the most out of living in Chicago, and don't feel like we will get that living in Elmhurst or something comparable. Thanks for your time and any advice you have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2010, 07:46 AM

214 posts, read 546,401 times
that would be a no-brainer for me. the oak park address is much nicer and the schools are much better.

Old 01-04-2010, 08:07 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,421,872 times
I would tend agree with Hatchetman -- I guess if the OP does not have school age kids I might prefer living in Chicago itself. Maybe if you can a place right next to a park in FP vs something that is not as conducive to little ones in OP that might be a factor, but OP has a much better overall Parks dept...

Old 01-04-2010, 08:20 AM

3 posts, read 23,357 times
Thanks for your replies. We have a 3 year old in preschool, and almost 1 year old. So schools are not a deciding factor, although where the good schools are, I would guess it might be safer and have more families? We are coming from the burbs of Minneapolis, so I thought the city traffic/life might be too much for the dogs and kids. Maybe OP is no different? We will be visiting in a couple weeks, so I wanted to do some research first. The OP address is my first choice too, I just got a little concerned after seeing posts about not wanting to be east of Ridgeland Ave. Is that still a concern? Any thoughts?
Just as an FYI - we are there to open a business in Niles, and then possibly a second one in the Naperville area, so we wanted to be somewhere in between.

Old 01-04-2010, 09:02 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,958,585 times
I wouldn't be too concerned about the Oak Park location. You're actually not far from Ridgeland, and several blocks from Austin Blvd. The vast majority of crime you would have to contend with is of property theft. I would definitely want an alarm system and a secure garage. Bicycles, lawn care equipment, etc, tend to wander off if not hidden away/locked up. Muggings tend to occur late at night to solitary pedestrians who are near the "busier" parts of town (typically near el stations and along Austin Blvd), and are very rare in the SFH parts of OP. That being said, your odds of being a mugging victim are higher in OP than in Naperville or Elmhurst, so depending on your personal tolerance for risk, you may find the crime level: negligible, acceptable, or intolerable. For crime stats, I recommend the Oak Park Police department crime maps. (Oak Park, Illinois Village Departments -- Police Department)

Old 01-04-2010, 05:18 PM

342 posts, read 1,233,244 times
i dont think the forest park elementarys are that bad, but they go to proviso east high, which is not too good of a school. oak park has good schools though. forest park is probably more diverse.
Interactive Illinois Report Card- oak park
Interactive Illinois Report Card- forest park

Interactive Illinois Report Card- oak park & river forest high school
Interactive Illinois Report Card- proviso east high school
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs