Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2007, 11:14 AM

1 posts, read 3,596 times

Advertisements

Hello there,
I just got a new exciting job in Kenosha, WI, and my fiance and I are going to be moving. But here's the thing- he works in Ukraine Village, west of dowtown Chicago, I'm going to be working in Kenosha.

Where the heck can we live, where we can have a house, with a yard, around $250,000, and that my fiance won't have to commute over an hour?

I don't care about my commute, I just don't want him to get drained by driving.

Any ideas? We really want a nice house to start our life together.

Thank you,
Kenosha Bound Laura

Last edited by KenoshaBound; 05-22-2007 at 11:30 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2007, 03:40 PM

58 posts, read 252,441 times
http://maps.google.com/maps?tab=wl - this one is for Oak Lawn area (couldnt find Ukraine Village) to Lincolnshire IL.

http://maps.google.com/maps?tab=wl - this one is for Lincolnshire to Kenosha.

its about half way ish. i hope that helps.

cammy
815 276 5875

Old 05-22-2007, 05:54 PM

677 posts, read 4,209,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NannyinHE View Post
http://maps.google.com/maps?tab=wl - this one is for Oak Lawn area (couldnt find Ukraine Village) to Lincolnshire IL.

http://maps.google.com/maps?tab=wl - this one is for Lincolnshire to Kenosha.

its about half way ish. i hope that helps.
Those links don't work...also, homes in Lincolnshire are much, much more than $250k. KenoshaBound - sorry, but $250k doesn't buy much within an hour of Chicago. Try Streamwood/Hanover Park/Carol Stream, that's probably the closest. If your fiance can take Metra instead of driving, that will give you more options, especially in northern Lake County. Or, you could even live in Kenosha, where you'll be able to get a bigger, newer house for $250k. His commute will be more than an hour but he won't be driving, so it won't be as stressful.

Old 05-22-2007, 07:47 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,340,834 times
Northern Lake County -- grayslake and antioch come to mind -- both are on metra and easy drive to kenosha.

I think streamwood/hanover park would be too far to drive to kenosha...just because I drive from barrington to richmond, il every day -- that is not as far as you would be going and its about 45 minutes for me....you would have to traverse all of lake county to get home, would be too much I think.

I think northern lake county is your best option (more affordable and he can take metra).

specific towns I would suggest

Grayslake, Antioch, Lindenhurst, Fox Lake, Gurnee, Wadsworth, Winthrop Harbor (maybe) Round lake (maybe)

There are lots of unincorporated ares in there too....just do some exploring and you are sure to find something. I really think the metra will save the day though.....you should be able to find a middle ground if he can take the train.

Old 05-24-2007, 10:41 PM

58 posts, read 252,441 times
sorry the links didnt work. hope your search is going well. i agree with the comments too about moving to kenosha and taking the train. it'd save on a lot of car related things (not just gas, oil changes and regular maintenance too)

good luck

Old 05-30-2007, 07:43 AM

59 posts, read 248,602 times
Default Burbs

Avoid Round Lake,Waukegan,Zion and North Chicago. MAJOR Gang and Drug issues there. $250k is not going to buy you anything in Chicagoland exept in Antioch. I grew up in Antioch and it is a great little town. Well not so little anymore. My folks have lived there for 47 yrs and still love it. If you look at Antioch aviod a subdivision called Tiffany farms. My Dad tells me there is a registered sex offender in the neighborhood. The homes are cheep because no wants to move there. If you are going to look in Lakke Co. Go to the Lake Co sherrif web site for sex offenders. Also avoid a new subdivision by Neuman Homes. I have been told by frinds who live in Lake County and are in the trades. That the homes are not worth the money. Check out a new subdivision called Trevor Creek. Huge homes but my understanding is they are affordable.

Good Luck

Old 05-30-2007, 07:46 AM

59 posts, read 248,602 times
Antioch has a Metra station that will take you to Chicago.

Old 06-21-2007, 07:30 PM

1 posts, read 3,421 times
Default MisInformation

There are very nice homes in Waukegan, Round Lake, Zion, and North Chicago. Yes, there are some areas in these cities that have problems. However, every city, including Antioch and Grayslake, have these same issues. It all depends on where and how you are looking. My suggestion is to find a realtor if you are having difficulty finding an area. I've grown up in all of these areas and didn't have a problem. They are not ideal for Chicago commuting because it is a bit of a drive, but that is why there are many metras in the area. You will not have a problem finding something in your price range in the lake county area.

Old 06-22-2007, 09:16 AM

60 posts, read 347,816 times
Exclamation You will need a realtor to help you on this one...

Unfortunantly in that price range you are either looking to buy in a not so nice community, or go into a condo in a more affluent community.

ALSO, more bad news... 294/94 has now been placed under construction for widening from just north of O'Hare to the state line from it's current state of 3lanes on each side to 4 lanes on each side. I believe this year they are working on the area around Touhy, Dempster, and Golf, and then next year they are going to move a little further north. Anyways, this project is supposed to take years to complete making traffic a complete nightmare headed for the state line. Sorry to tell you that, but look on the bright side, once completed your commutes will be much lower.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs