Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 01:25 PM

5 posts, read 24,813 times

Advertisements

Moving to great lakes naval base.

Military housing is in north chicago or in glenview? something like that. The schools suck. So i have read...or see by the test scores.

Is there anywhere in north chicago that is good?

Where should a family with 4 kids under the age of 6 move to for 3 years?

Where should I avoid?

Should I rent or should I buy?

I think libertyville sucks.... mainly the name of it makes me barf. Not sure why it does...sorry to all you libertyville-ians. I would like to get into green oaks school? but really I am not rich and cannot buy a 600,000 dollar house.

more like 150.... and or 1500 for rent.

yes...suck...but whatever. Where are some places that are close to BAse that are good and where should I avoid?

all info much appreciated. Right down to offers of housing available with pics thanks.

So anything you got let me know, even if it is about the best most authentic places to eat at... pizza and chinese. yes.

So let me know everything I will need to know.. but the most important is the places to avoid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2009, 02:05 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
I believe the schools that serve base housing are part of NORTH CHICAGO SD 187 and the results are pretty disheartening: Interactive Illinois Report Card

You are going to have a hard time finding anything to rent in Green Oaks, it is tiny speck of town, and the floor price is nearly $400K, which does not buy much: 1973 Red Fox Ln, GREEN OAKS, IL 60048 | MLS# 07353344

If you are going to rule out Libertville you are basically turning your back on the best shot at a really good school district, but hey if saying the town's name will cause you nausea I suppose that is a good reason...

The other nearby towns with schools as good as Libertyville are far more expensive. Vernon Hills is in the same district, though the elementary schools are considerably different, not sure what age your kids are but that might be a factor.

Lots of posters here LOVE Evanston, I think that is long commute and some areas are dicey with crime...

Tough choices, you could almost say --

Old 12-09-2009, 02:53 PM

Default .

I will live in libertyville the name is just boring. Or liberal.... I really do not know... So Libertyville is a good district?

The housing I have seen offered look shady... are there parts of libertyville I should look out for?

Thanks for your response.

Old 12-09-2009, 03:13 PM

313 posts, read 596,654 times
Over 70% of political donations from Libertyville go to Republicans. People around here are going to have a hard time associating Libertyville with "liberal"

Old 12-09-2009, 03:34 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,488,861 times
Libertyville is a high class, really nice suburb. There are a few pockets you should avoid, but I doubt they would pass the eyeball test to you anyways.

Old 12-09-2009, 03:52 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
There are really no "rough" areas in Libertyville itself. The least desirable portion is sorta close to an older industrial area, but that area is also SUPER close to the library, shops, restaurants, and a VERY pricey development that surrounds a former quarry. Nice trade-offs. Libertyville has a much broader mix of people than it did even a few years ago -- the growth of jobs has lead to a influx of people from other parts of the world. many of whom are not at all interested in the old GOP warhorses that at one time dominated the area.

Schools are a big draw as is the nice mix of walkable streets and some charming older homes with a big selection of homes from every era, post war, Brady Bunch era, disco, 90's and brand new tear downs. Rentals are not cheap, but if you ought to find something suitable if you look hard enough. Most landlord don't need to advertise much as demand is mostly solid. Stuff along busier roads may be OK is the back yard is set off a ways -- I myself rented such a house a loooong time ago. Worked out great.

Old 12-09-2009, 04:41 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,419,077 times
If you're going to rule out Libertyville, this one's a no-brainer. Look at Lake Bluff, and specifically the areas near Highway 41 & also near Waukgean Road (the Knollwood section of town). They should might have rental properties off of Waukegan Road, for example, that MIGHT fit your budget. You'll be about 5 minutes away from the base. Definitely no more than 10 minutes. Actually closer to Great Lakes than Libertyville would be. Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frickable View Post
Moving to great lakes naval base.

Military housing is in north chicago or in glenview? something like that. The schools suck. So i have read...or see by the test scores.

Is there anywhere in north chicago that is good?

Where should a family with 4 kids under the age of 6 move to for 3 years?

Where should I avoid?

Should I rent or should I buy?

I think libertyville sucks.... mainly the name of it makes me barf. Not sure why it does...sorry to all you libertyville-ians. I would like to get into green oaks school? but really I am not rich and cannot buy a 600,000 dollar house.

more like 150.... and or 1500 for rent.

yes...suck...but whatever. Where are some places that are close to BAse that are good and where should I avoid?

all info much appreciated. Right down to offers of housing available with pics thanks.

So anything you got let me know, even if it is about the best most authentic places to eat at... pizza and chinese. yes.

So let me know everything I will need to know.. but the most important is the places to avoid.

Old 12-09-2009, 10:37 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,792,528 times
Avoid Waukegan and North Chicago. Libertyville is fine. Gurnee is a less expensive option. Lake Bluff and Lake Forest are very pricey.

Old 12-10-2009, 12:35 PM

So waukegan road though is good? which I found a short sale prolly gone now but hesitated as I do not know if waukegan rd right outside base is good...sounds like it is.

Would love lake bluff but very exspensive. My husband is telling me the detailer has a rental in waukegan and for some reason I do not want to go there either! It sounds gross. haha...

So someone mentioned not going there is it icky? is it rough do the schools suck?

I am currently in Moore oklahoma... no ofense but I hate it! I hate oklahoma too! hate it with a passion of ten thousand burning suns and I do not want to be stuck in another oklahoma.

I am determined to have a great life in Chicago .... So you are really helping. thank you for responding!

I can handle republican land... okay I like libertyville.... not the far west closer to base...

What is the info on park city? is park city icky schools and crappy streets with shady peeps?

and what is the news with gurnee? are they not so good too?

Old 12-10-2009, 12:53 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,792,528 times
I don't know much about Park City... But Libertyville and Gurnee are nice, stable communities that aren't nearly as expensive as Lake Bluff and Lake Forest. Waukegan and North Chicago are a bit rough, and have considerable issues with gangs and crime.

This may offend some people, but I would avoid living too close to concentrations of low-income rental housing in any Chicago suburb--especially if you're buying a home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs