Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2007, 06:52 PM

1 posts, read 5,363 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I know there's a lot of threads along these lines but when I searched I couldn't find a specific answer to my question, hoping one of you can help.

My wife and I both work in the Loop and have a baby in a daycare there that we really like. It is time to move to a bigger place though and we are looking at Oak Park, Forest Park, Brookfield etc. Basically, whichever location we choose it's looking like our daily drive will be from 290/Harlem to the Loop. Give or take an exit. Arriving in the Loop at 8am, leaving at 5pm.

So, any estimates on what that drive time would be? I've heard it's brutal but it's not like it's far, only about 12 miles or so. Are there any other cunning routes, like Roosevelt maybe?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2007, 07:53 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,192,341 times
There's no way to avoid a jam trying to get in the Loop at 8 am. Take the Metra train or the el. If you must drive, the radio gives the commuting time every 10 minutes. If 1-290 (the Ike) is jammed, try North avenue or Roosevelt on the south. Neither will be much better, tho'. My best estimate is 30" for the eight or so miles in to the loop.

Old 05-18-2007, 07:07 AM

108 posts, read 502,896 times
It's one of the worst expressways I've ever been on once you get west of Austin. It was even at a traffic jam on Saturday night at 11pm, that should give you some indication of what your in for. Roosevelt is a good alternate route for the heavy congested areas, and I think you could cut up Austin or Cicero and not have to be in any of the not so nice areas that are in between Oak Park and the west loop.

but what do i know, i live and work in the western suburbs...

Old 05-24-2007, 10:34 PM

2,300 posts, read 6,187,202 times
Don't even think about driving. You must take Metra or the El.

Old 05-27-2007, 07:45 PM

7 posts, read 34,802 times
Hi,

I do this drive daily from Oak Park. It's really NOT BAD. Not sure what the above people are referring to. You have to get on at Austin and you will be fine. I leave at 7:45 and get there at 8:05 latest daily. Been doing this for years. It's very consistant too, give or take 10 minutes.

It actually takes me longer to take the "L", which is why I opted to drive instead. Trust me, I do this daily!

I would agree that anywhere before Austin is horrible, but as long as you get on 290 at Austin you are smooth sailing!!!!

Old 05-28-2007, 04:40 PM
mdz

622 posts, read 2,620,694 times
I make that drive a few times a week anywhere between 6:15-7:15. First obstacle is the entrance ramp from harlem which is usually backed up quite a bit. you'll sit through 2-3 lights on average. When it's real bad I snake through Oak Park to get to Austin, but that takes time as well. Once you're on at Harlem, it's real slow until austin, then a bit slow before the slight curve around Cicero (amazing what a little curve in the road will do to people), then picks up once you get closer to western. Then it's backed up badly as of late near the kennedy/dan ryan interchange. This is because of the current dan ryan construction, hopefully that gets better after this year. All in all, brandon is pretty much on target to the travel time from austin. Not horrible in am.

What's much much worse is coming home. I can leave anywhere between 5:30 and 6:30 and it's pretty horrid no matter what. Usually 30 minutes from the beginning of the expressway to Harlem, but some days (especially fridays) can be 10-15 minutes longer. The part that I really hate is getting to the darn expressway. I work just north of the loop and it's brutal to get to the road.

Bottom line--if the metra train is an option, do it. I try to take it as much as I can during the week. The reduced stress, the walking to and from the train, and the occasional beer on the way home do wonders for one's psyche.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs