Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 09:37 AM

5,525 posts, read 14,019,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc875 View Post
Glenn Ellyn-what are the characteristics of the city? What about Lombard.?There are some nice condos on main street, but the downtown seems more sedate and sleepy than Wheaton or Naperville. And the commute is about 20 minutes to my office.

I like the idea of Oak Park-historic homes and close to the city. I imagine it to be a hip and vibrant town. Is it considered a desirable and safe place to live, for a single woman? The commute though, will be about 35-40 minutes from my office, in the reverse direction of traffic.

Thank you. Finding a home in an entirely new area is daunting. I appreciate the input.
My situation was somewhat like yours. I lived for several years in Davis Square, Somerville, prior to moving to Chicago for a job in Geneva, IL. My wife and I looked at housing in Geneva and Naperville before settling in Oak Park. We found the housing and vibe somewhat similar to what we were used to, while the commute to Geneva was (barely) tolerable from Oak Park.

I know a fair number of singles who live in OP (work in the western burbs) and spend a fair bit of time in Chicago. If you choose to live here, be prepared to spend a lot of your time stuck in traffic. The worst part of the commute will be the return in the afternoon which is always worse than the morning outbound. It can take an hour (or occasionally more) to get from Naperville to OP, and the majority of the backup is on I-290 (between Hillside and Oak Park.)

I take the train most days and have near complete control over my work schedule, so the long commute doesn't bother me. I found the amenities of OP worth the trade-off. Obviously you'll have to decide for yourself whether it makes sense for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2009, 02:13 PM

55 posts, read 162,771 times
Cambridge, Mass.....it is like no place on earth!!! People from all around the world speaking different languages... great (uncommercialized) coffee shops and Burdick's chocolates to mention a few. I lived there and I miss it too!

Ok, so the commute from Oak Park to Naperville would be a NIGHTMARE. Check out www.traffic.com to calculate the trip at the time you would be commuting. Everyone has different levels of tolerance this would at least give you an idea.

If you are looking for "charm" I would have to agree with other posters when they mention Wheaton and Glen Ellyn. My husband and I have been "interviewing" :-) suburbs have been very impressed with both....even the restaurants....Ivy in Wheaton...YUM! No they aren't as close to the city as Oak Park, but your commute will be SIGNIFICANTLY easier everyday!

Wishing you all the best....welcome to the Midwest!

Last edited by trickygal; 11-30-2009 at 02:13 PM.. Reason: clarification
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs