Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 08:42 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,354,654 times

Advertisements

Currently the income tax burden in Illinois is on the low side at 3%, but our moronic leaders are contemplating raising it to make up for their chronic addiction to campaign contributions from the roadbuilders and other state vendors that funnel funds from overinflated bids right back into the war chests of incumbants... Illinois income tax rate may rise by 50% -- chicagotribune.com

The only 'plus' of property tax is that it is fully deductible on your federal income tax which allows some relief...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2009, 05:03 PM

34 posts, read 127,842 times
Default Don't Buy Right Away

We left IL in 2007 after living there our entire lives. My husband and I are self-employed, and the tax burden we were saddled with, when added to our $6000 annual property taxes (on a house that sold for just under $300K!) became unbearable. Right now in many states including IL, home prices are dropping while property taxes are rising because they average out previous years' assessments along with the current ones.

I highly recommend renting near your job first. North Chicago is a ways up there, so commute-wise you're probably going to end up living in Lake County, which has similar property taxes to McHenry County, where we lived. Get to know the surrounding areas while you're renting; talk to coworkers about their homes, their commute times and their property tax levels. You won't regret it.

Old 11-06-2009, 06:26 PM

342 posts, read 1,232,451 times
you could try zion, mundelein, gurnee, or grayslake.

Old 11-08-2009, 02:16 PM

7 posts, read 20,896 times
I can see some advantage to renting for a year to get more info about the area and to save more money, but I am also wondering if it would be a mistake to not take advantage of the low interest rates and the $8000 tax credit

Old 11-10-2009, 05:55 PM

34 posts, read 127,842 times
I understand your concern. But as long as unemployment stays high, house prices will slide. It could be that by waiting, you'll save more than $8K on the price of a house. It's a tricky thing to time the housing market; good luck to you whatever you decide!

Old 11-11-2009, 08:56 AM

94 posts, read 257,652 times
Many people choose to live in Wisconsin and commute to jobs in Lake County (I used to work with some residing in Racine & Pleasant Prairie). Schools are supposedly better in WI--which is one of the many reasons so many corporations base themselves along the expressway corridor.

Good luck in your search.

Old 11-11-2009, 09:28 AM

3,339 posts, read 5,987,739 times
I would look at Mundeline, Grayslake, and Buffalo Grove. I just did a very quick search on the MLS and I don't think you would have trouble affording a home in those areas. It won't be a mansion or anything, but there are definitely homes available.

Old 11-11-2009, 11:27 AM

4 posts, read 9,142 times
If the school districts are most important to you, I would look at schools that meet the talents/interests of your children and then work from there. You are not likely to get much of a house for that price range near a really good school though. I think that you will have to decide your priorities and go from there. My boyfriend's family live in the Grayslake/ Fox Lake area and his brother plans on moving out of the area before his kids get to school age to get them in better schools.

Old 11-13-2009, 11:23 PM

7 posts, read 20,896 times
Any thoughts on Antioch? Seems like some nice homes out there for good prices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs