Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2009, 12:21 PM

5 posts, read 13,431 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
It is a bit depressing to me that Skokie has so many empty store fronts right now. Any small business owners from Skokie here? Wondering what the main culprit of so many places going out of business (besides just the economy) I have been thinking of opening up a florist but it seems that Skokie is dying a little on the whole. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2009, 12:45 PM

249 posts, read 685,932 times
It'd be great if they actually built the Yellow Line station at Oakton that has been discussed for YEARS. ... Everytime I am in downtown Skokie, it feels like a ghost town. There's that big cluster of condos/townhouses north up Lincoln, but it seems like the people never come out (or they only go as far as their cars and then drive somewhere else to shop/dine/etc.) ... If that Yellow Line station ever opens, maybe people who work in downtown Chicago would consider that section of Skokie as a reasonable option. Then downtown Skokie can become a bit more of the "walking community" that it seems to be striving to be, and that could support some more small shops. Good to see the bakery reopened. And Village Inn is always a good time.

In truth, downtown Skokie and any independent stores will have to care out a niche that's distinct from Old Orchard and everything up around there, because all those chain stores are such a magnet. (And that's recognizing that even Old Orchard isn't doing that well in these economic times.)

Old 10-30-2009, 01:31 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,786,052 times
I lived in Skokie during a part of the 80's. Old Orchard and other retail on Skokie Blvd and further West on Demster made it a tough go for most small businesses. The area around the Swift has been a no mans land for decades.

Old 10-31-2009, 05:00 PM

1,070 posts, read 2,922,315 times
It's sad to see, true...but it's okay, I still buy my jewelry there...

and as Johnny said, they will have to fulfill something that Orchard doesn't...which is what? That's the question that SBO have to answer, and do something about.

Old 11-02-2009, 09:41 AM

591 posts, read 664,375 times
I lived in Skokie in the late 50's. for 12 yrs. Went to Niles East. Its a shame to hear this. We visit every 2 or 3 years.

Now we live in Southern California. About 60 north of San Diego. The business's are like that here too. when and if things get better, we will see a change. One thing we have to stay POSITIVE.

Old 11-02-2009, 11:44 AM

86 posts, read 312,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Northside View Post
It'd be great if they actually built the Yellow Line station at Oakton that has been discussed for YEARS. ...
Don't quote me but I *think* this is closer to fruition than it has ever been. Seems like the last press release I saw re: CTA improvements had this near the top of the list (if that means anything), and the price tag was somewhat less than I would have expected.

I'm not sure about the potential of that station, in itself, to realistically bring the Loop within reach of Skokie residents, mainly because Metra doesn't stop at Howard (the Yellow line terminus).

The direct-but-slow option would be Purple all the way from Howard to Loop, and even then, only during rush periods. (Purple ceases Loop service between 9:30am- 3:00) Red line to loop on regular basis is not practical for efficiency/safety reasons. Metra is reachable only via a short hop north or south (either by CTA, or walking). I'm all for the Skokie station but I think it requires some adjunct planning, to be a high-usage commuter option.

(Personally- I'd make the effort, imperfect as it would be w/o accompanying Metra changes - I just don't know how many others would.)

Old 11-02-2009, 12:09 PM

1,070 posts, read 2,922,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybee View Post
I lived in Skokie in the late 50's. for 12 yrs. Went to Niles East. Its a shame to hear this. We visit every 2 or 3 years.

Now we live in Southern California. About 60 north of San Diego. The business's are like that here too. when and if things get better, we will see a change. One thing we have to stay POSITIVE.

Well, things aren't that bad. Skokie is still a nice place to live, work etc. it's just that some of their small business is dying.

Old 11-21-2009, 11:08 AM

86 posts, read 312,554 times
Update on new Yellow line station at Oakton:

Delayed Downtown Swift Project Back on Track (http://www.pioneerlocal.com/skokie/news/1888515,skokie-dtownswift-111909-s1.article - broken link) (Skokie Review, Nov 17th)

Old 06-27-2010, 11:00 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,644,182 times
The Oakton Station broke ground a few days ago.

http://www.pioneerlocal.com/skokie/news/2419126,skokie-station-062410-s1.article (broken link)

http://www.transitchicago.com/news_i...akton-yel.aspx

http://www.egovlink.com/public_docum...021%202010.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs