Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2009, 01:11 PM

4 posts, read 13,524 times

Advertisements

We're looking to buy a house and have settled on Wheaton. All parts of Wheaton seem to be nice, yet I'm wondering about the Wheaton College neighborhood, specificly south of the College Ave Metra train stop (train is a big plus for us). There are new, nice-sized houses sitting on blocks with mostly small, older (substantially lower value) homes (for instance, there is a $1M house surrounded by $200-300K ones). They say never to buy the nicest house on the block. Anyone have thoughts on this area? Is it up-and-coming? Any thoughts on Wheaton in general? Thanks in advance!

-Brian

Last edited by brh129; 10-29-2009 at 02:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2009, 01:55 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,492,660 times
Hey Brian,

There are some good real estate people in this forum so I'm sure they will be along soon to help you. I think Wheaton is an ok town, I have spent several several nights there and never had a "close call" with crime or anything. My brother lived in some apartment (the tallest building in Wheaton iirc) and we were within walking distance of some decent pubs and restaurants. Good luck!

Old 10-29-2009, 02:03 PM

3,131 posts, read 11,650,631 times
wheaton is a very well-respected suburb. As with most older established homes, there is variety. I think that a home is the area of wheaton college would hold its value well.

Old 10-29-2009, 03:47 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,413,242 times
I would not apply the term "up & coming" to an area that has been in demand for decades. The fact is that tastes / needs in housing drive the tear-downs in desirable areas, not any 'gentrification' trends where undesirable elements need to moved out

Crime is a non-issue and the resale value of homes anywhere in DuPage Co within walking distance of the BNSF or UP-West is quite solid-- for families the area is hard to beat. College Ave station in particular has several expresses under 40 minutes.
http://metrarail.com/content/metra/e...20Schedule.pdf

It would only be a little risky to buy a brand new house that is much larger than the average on a block in that desirable section of Wheaton, simply because the current likelihood of the smaller houses being upgraded / torn down is nowhere near as high as it was a few years back. But that does not mean that the older homes are ever really going to go "down hill" and those are not really your competition either.

The competition might be other houses elsewhere in town that might be slightly newer or more upgraded than yours at the time you may want to sell and that is so hard to predict as to be impossible.

The older smaller house might carry a lighter tax burden, but that too is something that ought not to be too big a concern, as there is some offset in having a house that probably is more efficient and won't need as much maintenance.

I might be a little reluctant to fall in love with a $1M in Wheaton unless I had also throughly evaluated what that would buy in towns with an even greater 'desirability' factor. In town Glen Ellyn & Elmhurst ought to be evaluated, as well as similar sections of the in-town areas further west in Geneva, and of course you would be wise to at least give serious consideration to the similarly developed sections of Naperville, Downers Grove, Hinsdale, Clarendon Hills, Western Springs, LaGrange and maybe even Riverside along the BNSF.

The truth is that if you have lots to spend the variety of housing has never been more varied.

Some of the folks that grew up in a specific town and now have the income to put a "house of their dreams" on even the same lot where they were a kid is one aspect that draws people back.

Old 10-29-2009, 04:00 PM

4 posts, read 13,524 times
Thanks, Chet, for a very helpful, intelligent reply!

I agree with your advice, as well. We originally started looking in La Grange, Western Springs, Downers Grove, etc. Unfortunately we don't have anywhere near $1M to work with (half that). What can be had in Wheaton seems like a nice compromise.

Old 10-29-2009, 04:58 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,413,242 times
Ah, so you already know that you won't be buying the most expensive place in town!

You know there is a bit a of price premium for the stuff north of the tracks. I think that may be due to the historic uses / relative proximity to the Roosevelt Rd commercial district and some factors like schools district boundaries.

Mostly nothing to worry about, but I would hope your agent has given you data to help determine what really is the smartest move.

There are some very attractive older homes in the area north of the tracks and some pretty good looking stuff south. Mostly personal preference these days:

901 N PRESIDENT, WHEATON, IL 60187 | MLS# 07326907

1607 E Indiana Ave, WHEATON, IL 60187 | MLS# 07298775

Old 10-29-2009, 10:47 PM

610 posts, read 2,730,266 times
Overall Wheaton is a very good community and the area you mentioned south of College Station has a nice mix of homes in various price points. The area around Lowell Elem. School is very nice and has a great sense of community. Lot sizes are a bit smaller in that section of town but you have all the conveniences of being close to town. Lowell Elem. and Franklin Middle school are great. That area also attends Wheaton North HS which also has a good reputation (unless you ask a south sider ) Prices south of the tracks are a bit better than those north of the tracks and once you cross over Roosevelt prices get better but the area is a bit different as are the schools. You would certainly have a good selection of homes in the 400-500k range throughout Wheaton. It really depends on what features of a home are most important and if your family has any other needs to be met. In my personal opinion Wheaton has different communities within the community and each little section of town has it's own flavor. I've lived south, north and smack dab in the middle of town and all three were very different. It is hard to explain it but if there is a certain "feel" you are going for I'd be happy to give you my personal opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs