Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 08:37 PM

3 posts, read 25,751 times

Advertisements

What's the area like? I'm thinking about moving there and would love some information. I'm looking for a well-maintained, safe area. Are there better/worse parts of Villa Park?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2007, 07:49 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,344,148 times
I think a lot of villa park is very good. I think the far north part that borders onto North avenue (route 64) can be kind of not so good. And stay out of Brandywine subdivision. Otherwise it is good. I know lots of people who live there and like it.
I can't comment on schools because I don't know about those.

Old 04-05-2016, 11:05 PM

2 posts, read 5,801 times
oh no, I was looking at a townhouse at the brandywine area. what's wrong with that place?

Old 04-06-2016, 08:19 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
Brandywine has a bit of a notorious reputation of attracting bargain-minded owners and tenants. The HOA really has a hard time dealing with folks that sometimes massively overcrowd their units with multi-generational families and/or extended "guests". The quality of construction was never great and more than a few places have been DIY renovated in unsafe ways. There are some issues with police coverage, poor coopertion between DuPage Co Sherif, Vulla Park and Oakbrook Terrace Police due to bordering jurisdictions...

The location is very convenient for folks that want good access to offices in the greater Oak Brook area, as well surprisingly quick access to Chicago via Roosevelt of the Ike, and even suburbs closer to Schaumburg via 290 off of Rt 83 but the negatives really should be considered...

I've owned rental properties in Villa Park and many tenants told horror stories of absentee landlords that really never did anything to maintain their properties. I recall one especially terrible story of a tenant who could not get the landlord to do anything to clean up the smoke damage when an adjacent unit had a grease fire in their kitchen. There is just no excuse for that as any insurer will happily pay out on such claims, though they may re-rate one's coverage and I suspect that a crummy landlord like that is not going to want to do anything like ensure there are smoke detectors / CO alarms -- lack of those things can make any residential unit, especially multi-family, a death trap!

Old 04-06-2016, 09:51 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,934,805 times
I've heard bad things about it. I think you can find better properties in other suburbs nearby. There are even some budget type townhomes in Wheaton if you know where to look and you would be far better than going to Brandywine.

On the other hand my cousins live in South Villa Park slightly north of Roosevelt Rd. Its fine. There are a variety of houses there, some large newly built mc mansions.

Old 04-06-2016, 01:29 PM

2 posts, read 5,801 times
oh wow that is really good to know. thank you guys a lot for the review! I will look in wheaton and south villa park. thanks again was very helpful!

Old 04-06-2016, 05:47 PM

3 posts, read 6,603 times
Do look at Brandywine as a comparison point. Some of what was said was true many years ago. But within the last several years, there have been strict restrictions on occupancy and also no renting is allowed unless it's to an immediate family member. Current landlords were grandfathered in but once a place is sold, zero renting is allowed unless it is to immediate family. These new rules were upheld after lengthy court battles - BW is serious about it and believe me, they come down HARD on offenders. Your life will be misery until you comply. And fines get upheld and throw in BW laywer fees for good measure.

It is a financially very well-run community. There has NEVER been a special assessment and I bet you can't find any other condo/TH development that has been around for awhile that can say the same. They have a boatload of reserves, to pay for any conceivable future maintenance project. Oh and if you try and skip a few HOA dues payments (currently about $200 per month) guess what? You will get a not so nice letter and you will be coughing up those dues PLUS the laywer fees to write you that letter. These are GOOD things because they keep the place running well.

True, the town homes do sell for lower prices than single family homes as you can expect. That does attract people who can't / don't want to pay a lot. But really, things are much better there and right now there are some real bargains to be had.

Old 04-06-2016, 05:59 PM

3 posts, read 6,603 times
I just had to register so I was wondering if my post went through and I see it did. Anyway, I have lived in VP for over 40 years and I owned 2 BW town homes back when there were not as many rules. I still own one rental so I have firsthand information

It's true the south end of VP is a little nicer than the north. But there is a wide variety of homes at many price points. We are SO close to ALL major highways and expressways. You can be on any major road within minutes. If you DO look at BW, one thing I can offer is this: most of BW lies west of Ardmore but some of it is east of Ardmore. To me, the East-of-Ardmore areas seemed nicer, less congested, maybe a little more stable.

Old 09-24-2016, 10:35 PM

341 posts, read 412,113 times
Right now I live in Orland Park, IL butmay be getting a job in Oak brook Terrace. It is about ½ commute Oak brook Terrace has one sky scraper and mostly offices. I knowthat Oak brook Terrace shares a zip code with Villa Park.

I am 37/m/single. Looking for astudio/efficiency about ½ drive or less from Oak brook Terrace. Anyideas? Thanks.

Old 09-25-2016, 09:36 AM

20 posts, read 20,925 times
From what I know, Villa Park is quite trashy. But it shouldn't be an issue as long as you live in a safe place with an easy access to the Metra train station.

Tell me though, what do you look for in a community? And what is your background? This is probably more important than what I've heard or my personal opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs