Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2007, 07:22 AM
ksb ksb started this thread

5 posts, read 24,521 times

Advertisements

my husband son and I are moving back to the northern suburbs after several years away. Skokie and Evanston work best for us for our work situations. we are having a hard time finding out about the school districts. We have read the "school report cards" but to really know about a school we would like more information than just test scores. Any information that people are willing to share about any school in skokie or evanston (grammer through highschool) would be appreciated. Thank You!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2007, 08:56 AM

62 posts, read 224,830 times
I'm interested in this topic too. We currently live in Evanston with 2 little ones, and I've been asking around to friends and coworkers to find out more information about the public schools. Here's what I've learned: I've heard good things from parents about the King Lab school (but there's a lottery to enter). Online I found that the test scores are good at Willard and Dewey, and not as good at Oakton (I live near Oakton). When I've walked past Dewey, the racial mix of children seems pretty even, but it's not as even at Oakton. My impression of the middle schools' quality isn't as good based on passing comments from a few parents. Evanston High School gets good reviews from parents I've spoken too, with many activities and quality of teaching. I'd like to learn more about the Skokie schools too.

Are there any students, parents or teachers out there who can give more info? Thanks!

Old 05-08-2007, 06:48 PM

please...anyone who has ANY information/opinion, please respond to this post

Old 05-11-2007, 11:25 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,619,556 times
ksb,take a look at the post "Please help me choose a suburb".Someone posted info on Evanston which may be of help to you

Old 05-11-2007, 06:00 PM

153 posts, read 210,088 times
I had my child in Evanston/Skokie School District 65, and it was wonderful. When my child started there Evanston was considered one of the best school systems (as it is today). Evanston Schools are very diverse with a 65% White to 45% Minority rating. Evanston busses for integration (if not Black and Hispanic kids would be at Oakton and Chute). Evanston Schools have many programs for before, during, and after school. Evanston has one of the best and most highly funded special education schools (Park School). My child attended Lincoln School from Kindergarten until Third grade. One reason we pulled him out, is I did not approve of the replacement principal Chris McDermott. Chris McDermott is a sothern girl who in my opinion was too tough and rough with the children. She doesn't believe in parental involment either. The best schools in the Evanston/Skokie 65 are Lincoln K-5, Rhodes K-8 (Timberidge), King Lab K-8, and Nichols 6-8. My child will be attending New Trier in Northfield, as we are moving to Wilmette.

Hope This Helps!

Old 05-13-2007, 01:07 PM

thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs