Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 10:54 AM

59 posts, read 156,280 times

Advertisements

Here's the scoop. I moved to Chicago earlier in the year and I'm currently on the northside preparing to move when the lease expires this coming Nov-Dec.

I'm VERY interested in renting a house with 3-5 Bedrooms for around 1,500-2,000 a month and would like to know what are some local sentiments of the many of the suburbs around here.

This is the kind of home I'm interested in:

Quick facts: DINK, business owner, non-religious (incase there are some OVERLY religious neighborhoods).

Preferably within 40 minutes driving of Downtown Chicago.

Any suggestive towns at all guys? I'd like to keep my thoughts as minimal as possible to be open to everything and learn all I can from those who already know far more than I do. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2009, 12:31 PM

1,273 posts, read 4,418,969 times
Most neighborhoods where you'll be able to rent a home like that are going to be over 40 minutes from the Loop and are going to be more conservative family-friendly neighborhoods.

From the picture of the house and your price range I think I would recommend a place like Hoffman Estates, Gurnee, or Elgin, all of which are close to an hour or more from the Loop.

Old 09-06-2009, 05:45 PM

3,131 posts, read 11,646,444 times
we have homes like that in sugar grove, but are more than 40 minutes from the city. we are along the I88 corridor, so access is quick, but drive times during rush hour are what they are!

Old 09-06-2009, 11:18 PM

65 posts, read 295,001 times
Crystal Lake, Fox River Grove and Cary have plenty of homes that resemble your picture for reasonable prices. But, 40 minutes to the loop won't get you out of the city limits if you're talking commute times to work during rush hour.

Old 09-07-2009, 08:31 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,613,090 times
For less then 40 min, try Elmhurst, Villa Park,Lombard,Itasca.

Old 09-07-2009, 12:16 PM

Thank you for the responses everyone.

Old 09-08-2009, 08:24 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,261,841 times
Do you want just like the picture, with no trees and a true "prairie experience"? Or are you willing to rent a somewhat older home that has been fixed up that is situated in a mature neighborhood with lots of GROWN trees? Also, moving way out can really suck when it comes to commuting into the city for work-so be careful to pick wisely in relation to work and future work opportunities.

Old 09-08-2009, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
Do you want just like the picture, with no trees and a true "prairie experience"? Or are you willing to rent a somewhat older home that has been fixed up that is situated in a mature neighborhood with lots of GROWN trees? Also, moving way out can really suck when it comes to commuting into the city for work-so be careful to pick wisely in relation to work and future work opportunities.
I appreciate the concern, but I've taken all of that into account. If you're going to suggest any neighborhoods I'm not interested in "mature" neighborhoods.

Thanks

Old 09-08-2009, 08:41 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,261,841 times
That's what the questions were for, clarification. I'm not going to use my time providing info on areas you are not interested in. Good luck with your serach.

Old 09-08-2009, 09:03 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,361,596 times
There are lots of established neighborhoods with brand new construction due to the prevalence of teardowns and in-fill construction.

If schools are not a concern towns like Addision offers some of the best bang for the buck.

You can also find new construction in nearby Lombard, Villa Park, Bensenville, Wooddale, would all be very good for <40 min commute. You might find a place close to West Chicago Metra that might be close to 40 mins.
While all these towns are well established they do have significantly more affordable new construction than towns with higher performing schools.

I would recommend some town in the SW corridor, but many of them have higher building codes and probably would not allow a home with vinyl siding, or even first floor in cedar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs