Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 09:40 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,280,940 times

Advertisements

Very valid points Chet. I mention districts 25 and 23 because I have personal experience and direct first person testimonials from people I trust. 90% and above average district scores, on the ISAT, to me also reflect the quality of the district.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2009, 09:51 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,304,965 times
I have to disagree on the Blue Ribbon site, Chet, but only because the rank isn't current for all schools. For instance Peoria has 5 Blue Ribbon Elementary schools, but only 1 rating is from 2008. The others are from 2005. I do not know what that should tell me?

Old 09-09-2009, 10:28 PM

198 posts, read 822,859 times
I'll let someone else handle the north shore discussion although it looks like you started to concentrate your research efforts there - probably because New Trier ranks so high on so many polls. Consistently also ranked quite high are Hinsdale Central and Stevenson, again I'll leave the northern areas to others although from personal house hunting experience Stevenson doesn't feed from many old and charming areas as the other two.
We live in the Hinsdale Central district so I can talk about that area. Hinsdale itself has a 21minute express train commute to the loop and many of its very charming homes are walking distance. A few years ago I had clients getting 900K for their teardown ranches in the center of town but those days are gone and your money goes much further now.
As one of the other posts mentioned, LaGrange has a great commute time (17 minutes) and most of its old and charming area is within walking distance and will fit nicely in your budget. Western Springs feeds into the LaGrange high school and has many charming older homes. Riverside Brookfield High School received high rankings on one of the most recent national polls and Riverside is almost all old and charming. If you look further west, Glen Ellyn has a very well respected high school right in the middle of town and a beautiful collection of older homes walking distance to town, train and school. I especially like the Lake Ellyn section behind the high school. It's worth a drive one Sunday - it has a slightly longer commute but not as long as Naperville so it just might be that perfect compromise you seem to be searching for.

Old 09-10-2009, 08:44 PM

7 posts, read 19,377 times
To get a preliminary feel for school districts, I would check out greatschools.net if you haven't already. The website gives each school a rating, has the student and faculty's ethnic diversity, and has the actual number of students in each school if small classrooms are high on your list. Also, you can look at what parents and students themselves have to say about the schools.

I agree with you, start with the high schools then work your way down, because the fact of the matter is preschools in the suburbs can be flexible, high schools are not. If the schools in your district for older kids are pretty good, and the preschools aren't, consider enrolling your child in a preschool near your work. It might actually work out better since you are actually near your child during the day.

Old 09-12-2009, 05:47 PM

3 posts, read 6,831 times
Thanks for all the help!

I think we definitely are going to look at Arlington Heights as well as some of the more eastern North Shore communities.

La Grange and Western Springs also look interesting.

What about Northbrook?

Old 09-18-2009, 08:14 PM

80 posts, read 155,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OakBrookMom View Post
I'll let someone else handle the north shore discussion although it looks like you started to concentrate your research efforts there - probably because New Trier ranks so high on so many polls. Consistently also ranked quite high are Hinsdale Central and Stevenson, again I'll leave the northern areas to others although from personal house hunting experience Stevenson doesn't feed from many old and charming areas as the other two.
We live in the Hinsdale Central district so I can talk about that area. Hinsdale itself has a 21minute express train commute to the loop and many of its very charming homes are walking distance. A few years ago I had clients getting 900K for their teardown ranches in the center of town but those days are gone and your money goes much further now.
As one of the other posts mentioned, LaGrange has a great commute time (17 minutes) and most of its old and charming area is within walking distance and will fit nicely in your budget. Western Springs feeds into the LaGrange high school and has many charming older homes. Riverside Brookfield High School received high rankings on one of the most recent national polls and Riverside is almost all old and charming. If you look further west, Glen Ellyn has a very well respected high school right in the middle of town and a beautiful collection of older homes walking distance to town, train and school. I especially like the Lake Ellyn section behind the high school. It's worth a drive one Sunday - it has a slightly longer commute but not as long as Naperville so it just might be that perfect compromise you seem to be searching for.
if i may interject in this topic? how diverse in la gange and is ita good commute for north michigan ave?

Old 09-24-2009, 06:54 PM

60 posts, read 291,938 times
I love Wilmette. You can get a house west of Green Bay Road for well under a million, and most people I've met are unpretentious, fun, and friendly. Lots of Obama signs during the election, more minivans and Subarus than SUVs. Most people are white, Indian, or Asian, so not the most diverse place, but there are many different churches and a couple of synagogues. Quite a few of my kids' friends have parents born in other countries. There's plenty of doctors and lawyers, but I also know house painters, construction workers and accountants. Parents are very involved with their kids' activities. If you buy here, don't stretch your budget too much so you can sign your child up for lots of fun stuff through the park district. We live in the McKenzie elementary school district, and we've been very happy with our school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs