Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2009, 03:30 AM

9 posts, read 26,508 times

Advertisements

Hello, everyone. I am from Chicago but currently living in Warrenton, MO (about 50 miles or so west of St. Louis). I want very much to come home. But I am unemployed, so it is proving to be a difficult task. I am finding it hard to find work up there BEFORE I move back, yet I don't have the money to find a decent place to live to get established there first. Kind of the ultimate Catch22. I can currently afford about $800 a month for rent, but I am having a hard time finding something nice for that price. (I really need a 2 bedroom or at least a 1 bedroom with extra space and lots of storage). I've also gotten really attached to having my owner washer and dryer and do not want to give those up when I come back! It is making it tough to find a place. Also, I'm an Administrative Assistant with more than 10 years experience desperately looking for a decent job. If anyone knows any resources or leads for a home or a job, please, please let me know! I appreciate any help you folks can offer!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2009, 05:47 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,669,943 times
Well are you looking to live in the city or the suburbs? This is the burb forum. If you are looking for city info I will ask this thread to be moved to the city forum.

Old 07-27-2009, 08:14 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,368,303 times
The unemployment around here is very high. You may be better off in MO. The competition for even admin jobs is very stiff. And you know how expen$ive chicago metro area can be. Personally I would wait a year, til the recession is waning.

Old 07-27-2009, 08:40 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,454,108 times
You can find a nice place for that price out in the Sycamore/DeKalb area. Its about 15 miles West of the Western burbs, so its kinda close I guess. Sycamore is very safe and is quite charming, and rent is about 1/2 what it is in Chicagoland. Just an idea....

Old 07-28-2009, 12:52 AM

I'm sorry, Avengerfire, I wasn't clear. I had been reading about Berwyn and I lived in Berwyn for 15 years, so I was thinking of maybe Berwyn again. Or I've considered moving toward the south or west suburbs, like possibly New Lenox or Naperville. Niether of these look like places I can afford htough which is why I was thinking of heading back to Berwyn again. LaGrange is great, too. Had a place lined up there that had everything I need and for my price, but she backed out. Bummer. So not really too interested in living in the city itself because I know I can't afford it. Any suggestions?

Old 07-28-2009, 12:55 AM

Thanks, gardener34. I guess the job scene is just as bad there. It is really, really bad here. When I look at job postings up there, it appears better because there are more jobs listed. When you look for the same jobs here, there just aren't any. There might bea few, but they all turn out to be temp assignments or part-time or extremely low paying. I realize that there are more people there and therefore more competition for the jobs that are listed. I was just really hoping to meet some people in here who might know someone who needed an admin person and could point me in the right direction.

Old 07-28-2009, 12:59 AM

Thanks for the Sycamore/DeKalb suggestion, Steve-O, but that is way too far out there for me. That is one of my complaints here. I'm too far from everything. St. Louis isn't a completey bad place to live, if you have a job and can afford to partake in things in the city. But I live 50 or 60 miles form the city, and there is no public transportation here at all, so it is really not very convenient for me. Plus I really can't afford to do anything right now anyway, so I'm really isolated. At least back in Chicago, I'd have some friends I've known all my life that I could hang with even if just watching TV or renting a movie. I used to think I wanted to lived in a big house out in the country, but since I moved to Warrenton, I've learned a lot about myself! I hate being in the middle of nowhere! I'm more of a city gal, I guess!

Old 07-28-2009, 06:06 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,669,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmb421 View Post
I'm sorry, Avengerfire, I wasn't clear. I had been reading about Berwyn and I lived in Berwyn for 15 years, so I was thinking of maybe Berwyn again....
You can find a large one bedroom in the city (or most suburbs) easily for $800. In some circumstances you might be able to find a two bedroom for $800.

It all depends on where you are trying to find a job and if you need solid public transit.

More than likely you are going to have to give up on that in unit washer and dryer fancy however.

Also what is your definition of nice?

Old 07-29-2009, 03:29 PM

179 posts, read 487,084 times
Imb421: You mentioned that you were possibly interested in New Lenox or further south of the city. Now that the I-355 extension is completed, many towns along the southern tip of that corridor have become much more attractive for commuting. Lockport might be a good fit and in the price range you are hoping for. Manhattan might also offer you the financial flexibilities and housing price-points you seek. Both communities have train service to the city. Manhattan's service is a bit more restrictive as they offer fewer commuting times, but that train service has now opened up this community for people such as yourself needing a good mix of rent/purchase value, plus access to employment opportunities. It's growing quickly and though south ... is still within the highly touted Lincoln-Way Community High School District. Property values in this community will be protected fairly well for that reason alone.
I hope these suggestions assist you. Please write if I can be of further assistance or answer anymore questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs