Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 10:59 AM

1,966 posts, read 6,074,538 times

Advertisements

Yeah, there are so many white kids in Beverly that I'd expect to see the opposite effect. I know a guy with 13 kids. Five is typical. Irish catholics ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2009, 11:26 AM

4,593 posts, read 9,192,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajolotl View Post
Yeah, there are so many white kids in Beverly that I'd expect to see the opposite effect. I know a guy with 13 kids. Five is typical. Irish catholics ...
Yeah when I drove around Beverly, I seen more white kids(including white teens) than blacks of course. Beverly & Morgan Park suppose to be the pioneers of integration/diversity, but a very low enrollment of white students in the public schools. I guess some things will never change. Is it really worth all that money to send kids to private schools?

Old 07-07-2009, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
Yeah when I drove around Beverly, I seen more white kids(including white teens) than blacks of course. Beverly & Morgan Park suppose to be the pioneers of integration/diversity, but a very low enrollment of white students in the public schools. I guess some things will never change. Is it really worth all that money to send kids to private schools?
Oh yeah, worth every penny. I'd put that just after eating and shelter on my priority list.

Old 07-07-2009, 11:34 AM

By the way people in beverly are working very hard to change it. Duncan was involved until he went to DC. Problem as I see it though is that no one really knows what to do. A committee exists and they meet, have goals, and talk. There was talk of a group enrolling all of their kids together (several hundred), but that kind of social engineering is hard to orchestrate.

East Beverly has the same problem with the elementary school (Barnard). Bottom line is that white people just don't feel comfortable around so many blacks. I have heard some horror stories of whites who have attended. Maybe they are exaggerated, maybe not. I live nearby but have no way of knowing.

Old 07-07-2009, 11:41 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,455,878 times
Quote:
I notice in majority white suburban towns that have a noticeable minority population, the schools rarely reflect the community. Now look at Flossmoor and Homewood. Homewood is 73% white and Flossmoor is 61% white, but all(excpet one) of Flossmoor schools are over 60% black. H-F High school was over 60% white in 2000, mysteriously its 35%(and steady shrinking) white according to 2008. Is this another form of white flight in schools or is it culturally white households have less kids? Or is it a combination of both?
Check how ISAT scores have trended during that time period. That may shed some light on the mystery for you.

Old 07-07-2009, 11:54 AM

I think when I checked into this that like 40% of the students get passing scores (on something just above a literacy test). And this was top notch for CPS. Up the street Julian was like 10%. And that was still pretty decent for CPS compared to a lot of 3% scores in worse neighborhoods. It boggles the mind.

Old 07-07-2009, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
Check how ISAT scores have trended during that time period. That may shed some light on the mystery for you.
That is not going to say much. H-F high school is now 55% black and All subjects meet & exceed rate is 65%. It haven't change much when H-F was over 50% white.

Lets be honest now. No matter what the income status blacks have, many white parents don't feel comfortable sending their children to a school that have ''too many'' blacks.

Old 07-07-2009, 12:52 PM

Quote:
I think when I checked into this that like 40% of the students get passing scores (on something just above a literacy test). And this was top notch for CPS. Up the street Julian was like 10%. And that was still pretty decent for CPS compared to a lot of 3% scores in worse neighborhoods. It boggles the mind.

The meet and exceed for all subjects is at 48.9% for Morgan Park High School in 2008. Compare to Percy Julian 8.1% just several blocks away. That is way better than a huge amount of Chicago high schools. And I thought my old high school(Thornton Township) that is at 35% was horrible.

I use this website to find information on Illinois schools
Interactive Illinois Report Card

Old 07-07-2009, 12:59 PM

Quote:
The meet and exceed for all subjects is at 48.9% for Morgan Park High School in 2008. Compare to Percy Julian 8.1% just several blocks away. That is way better than a huge amount of Chicago high schools.

I use this website to find information on Illinois schools
Interactive Illinois Report Card
Still dismal though compared to so many other places. I went to a public high school in a non-wealthy area and on the equivalent test we were 99.9% meets or exceeds.

Old 07-07-2009, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Still dismal though compared to so many other places. I went to a public high school in a non-wealthy area and on the equivalent test we were 99.9% meets or exceeds.

What area was this?

And the high school?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs