Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2009, 09:12 AM

89 posts, read 262,093 times

Advertisements

Chicago is a city of neighborhods, and I believe the same could be said for the burbs.
Chicagoland is massive in size and in my opinion is broken down into categories of communities being in their own worlds.
1. North Shore(Wilmette, Lake Forest, etc.)
2. NorthWest(Arlington Heights, Mount Prospect, Shaumburg, etc.)
3. Border burbs(Lincolnwood, Park Ridge, etc)
4. City, but not city(Evanston, Oak Park)
5. Western Burbs(Elmhurst to Wheaton)
6. Fox River Valley(Geneva, St. Charles, etc.)
7 Southwestern burbs(New Lenox, Joliet,etc.)
8. South Suburbs(Harvey, South Holland, etc.)
9. Near South suburbs(Oak Lawn, Palos Hills, etc.)
10 Satellite cities(Aurora, Elgin, Waukegan, Joliet)

I am sure I am missing some, but I really believe these regions act as their own towns. I.E. people in St. Charles are going to do most of their activties in Batavia, Geneva, St. Charles, wherea people in Lake Forest will stick around the north shore. There are obvious trips to Oak Brook or Schaumburg for the malls, but I really believe for the most part people stay in their areas.

Agree/Disagree?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2009, 09:36 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
There are regional groups that have data on this. The do it for road building and then have lunches and symposium. You'd be surprised how much travel there is from extreme corners of the region -- people have family in one area but can afford a home in another, their job gets switched, they marry someone that loves a certain region, etc.

DEFUNCT AGENCY: the former Northeastern Illinois Planning Commission
whoops -- they've changed their name, try this: CMAP, the Chicago Metropolitan Agency for Planning
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs