Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 02:29 AM

16 posts, read 37,572 times

Advertisements

I'm being transferred through work from So Cal to Chicago and will be working in the city. I posted in the Chicago forum but thought I'd check out the suburbs as well as it might be more fitting for a family. I need some advice on where to live as I have never been to Chicago. My budget is up to 2,500 but would like to stay around 2,000 if I can. I'd love a back yard and prefer 3 bedrooms but will settle for two.

I have lived in So Cal my whole life so this will be a huge change. I'm an artist so I'd like an area with character... Artsy is a plus! Good schools are important as I have a 4 year old son. A safe place with parks, good restaurants, a nice pub and a good community for children. I just learned that when moving my son will have to have another year of daycare due to his birthday falling 9 days past the cutoff for kindergarten. I'm not sure what daycare costs are but i'll need to find a good one and factor that in.

Thank you for any help you can give me,

Tamara
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2009, 08:56 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times
What kind of housing budget will you have?

Old 05-22-2009, 09:46 AM

My budget for rent is up to 2,500 but would like to stay around 2,000 if I can.

Old 05-22-2009, 11:04 AM

305 posts, read 1,116,755 times
A lot of people get sick of reading/writing about Oak Park and Evanston on this board, but there's a reason they are so often written about. They fit your bill better than any other suburbs. If you can do without the "artsy" part, I'd add La Grange to your list.

Old 05-22-2009, 11:16 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
As much as I hate to admit it, the "artsy" feel is hard to find outside of Oak Park and Evanston if you want close to Chicago and acceptable level of schools and affordability...

Old 05-22-2009, 12:01 PM

Thank you, I'll search those areas.

Old 05-22-2009, 12:30 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times
I live in Naperville and love it, but it's not artsy.

Old 05-22-2009, 12:38 PM

I like artsy but don't have to have it... Most important is a nice safe community with a great kindergarten and daycare. I'll check out Naperville too.

Old 05-23-2009, 04:52 AM

1,273 posts, read 4,420,131 times
TamaraStarr,

If you are looking into Evanston it will remind you a lot of Pasadena. Evanston has a nice central downtown area along with a few other shopping districts in many other neighborhoods. Evanston is a college town (Northwestern University) and is even more liberal than Pasadena if that is what you are looking for. Evanston is more family friendly than Pasadena and has much better public schools.

If you are looking for an area like San Marino or La Canada Flintridge then I would look further north into areas like Wilmette, Winnetka, or Glencoe. These areas are dominated by families and have schools that are superior than anywhere in Chicagoland, just like San Marino and La Canada Flintridge in Los Angeles. These areas are more conservative and don't offer an artsy or ethnic vibe at all.

If you wan't to look into the western suburban areas Evanston is a combination of Oak Park and River Forest and Wilmette, Winnetka, and Glencoe are most similar to Hinsdale, Clarendon Hills, Western Springs, and Downers Grove.

Evanston offers public pre-k and there are many good private options in Evanston, Wilmette, Winnetka, and Glencoe. Most private pre-k schools charge around $7k-$9k in the Chicago area. Private K-12 is much cheaper, generally around $16k-22k. This is mainly because there is more competition from the public schools here in Chicagoland than in Southern California and the schools here tend to give away a lot less financial aid.

Old 05-23-2009, 09:04 AM

342 posts, read 1,232,886 times
you should definetly go with oak park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs