Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 01:43 PM

1,273 posts, read 4,420,470 times

Advertisements

Take a look at this home that just hit the MLS in Evanston.

925 Edgemere Court, Evanston, IL, 60202 - MLS ID#07199576 - Single Family Home real estate - REALTOR.com® (http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/925-Edgemere-Court_Evanston_IL_60202_1108806785 - broken link)

The home is located in Southeast Evanston on a private lane just east of Sheridan Road. It offers 50 feet of private deep water frontage on Lake Michigan.

Schools are Lincoln, Nichols, and Evanston Township High School.

This home is among the most expensive on the North Shore at the moment.

I think the home should be priced at $4-5 million instead of $9 million.

Old 05-09-2009, 01:58 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,803,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by US-Traveller View Post
I think the home should be priced at $4-5 million instead of $9 million.
Based on what? I can see few problems with this place, and the location is among the best in an ultra-exclusive area. It's about $818 per square foot as currently priced, and I could see it going for $600-$700 per square foot. But not much less.

Old 05-09-2009, 05:04 PM

1,083 posts, read 3,726,237 times
Its grossly overpriced compared to comprable properties in Winnetka, Kenilworth & Wilmette.

Check out 1000 Michigan in Wilmette. Is a nicer property in the NT district, larger waterfront and they are asking $4.7 Million.

If the property in Evanston is deep water, there wouldn't be a private beach.

Last edited by Anthera; 05-09-2009 at 05:16 PM..

Old 05-10-2009, 03:06 AM

1,273 posts, read 4,420,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthera View Post
Its grossly overpriced compared to comprable properties in Winnetka, Kenilworth & Wilmette.

Check out 1000 Michigan in Wilmette. Is a nicer property in the NT district, larger waterfront and they are asking $4.7 Million.

If the property in Evanston is deep water, there wouldn't be a private beach.
Correct. It is very overpriced when compared to similar properties in neighboring communities like Winnetka, Wilmette, Kenilworth, and Glencoe. There are even more affordable lakefront properties in Highland Park and Lake Forest.

Correct. The home has a deep water lot. I have attached a link to the virtual tour.

VHT - Real Estate Photography, The VHT Tour, 360 Scenes, Video Production

Old 05-10-2009, 09:54 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,398,794 times
Overpriced, IMO. Lakefront or not, that home is not worth that price.

Old 05-10-2009, 12:45 PM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,164,465 times
White elephant

Real estate is heavily about location/setting/feel/neighbors; who the hell wants to live in Evanston?

IIRC, ?595 Sheridan in Winnetka sold in ?'02 for about $3.5MM/acre; costs about $1-2K/sf to build a bespoke, latest-tech house

Not many who can afford >$5MM houses want used houses; any used house on desirable land is a land buy and teardown, and buyer wants to design/build what they desire w/a competent architect and builder

Most people only build one primary family house in their lifetime; why reside in someone's used, ancient house?

Old 05-10-2009, 04:17 PM

1,966 posts, read 6,078,629 times
I personally prefer Evanston to the other North Shore communities. When places are uniformly wealthy they lose a lot of their energy and spontaneity. I strongly prefer the vibe of a place with a mixture of people -- students, some rich people, some struggling artists, people from different countries, some blue collar people. Evanston has much more of that. Anyhow Evanston has more and better commercial areas than any of the other North Shore communities. I like to get out of my house.

Old 05-10-2009, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajolotl View Post
I personally prefer Evanston to the other North Shore communities. When places are uniformly wealthy they lose a lot of their energy and spontaneity. I strongly prefer the vibe of a place with a mixture of people -- students, some rich people, some struggling artists, people from different countries, some blue collar people. Evanston has much more of that. Anyhow Evanston has more and better commercial areas than any of the other North Shore communities. I like to get out of my house.
Evanston is very nice, but most people looking to spend over 4 million on a house don't look there. I don't know what the highest priced residential property is that has sold in Evanston, but I'm sure it wasn't anywhere near 9 million, or 4 million.

Old 05-10-2009, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsw View Post
White elephant

Real estate is heavily about location/setting/feel/neighbors; who the hell wants to live in Evanston?

IIRC, ?595 Sheridan in Winnetka sold in ?'02 for about $3.5MM/acre; costs about $1-2K/sf to build a bespoke, latest-tech house

Not many who can afford >$5MM houses want used houses; any used house on desirable land is a land buy and teardown, and buyer wants to design/build what they desire w/a competent architect and builder

Most people only build one primary family house in their lifetime; why reside in someone's used, ancient house?

Now, now, I know you don't like used houses. But most people on the NS do. Most of the older lakefront homes are renovated by their new owners, not demoed. 595 Sheridan was an exception, not a general example.

Last edited by Anthera; 05-10-2009 at 05:41 PM..

Old 05-11-2009, 08:32 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,403,413 times
The comps for such a property are not there. On the one hand this does not really matter, as this is NOT the kind of thing that regular financing would be involved with, but in the broader sense it is a factor.

A quick glance at the photo's reveals design choices that, to put it nicely, are "highly personal". The odds of these choices resonating with another buyer are extraordinary slim. If the owner is a builder it would be kind of standard for the builder to have a large list of concessions that they would make to suit a new buyer. It appears to my eye that there are likely code violations that a town like Evanston would NOT grant exceptions for --- unshielded light fixtures too close to showers, stairs lacking handrails, problems with lighting runs unless commercial rating standards were followed, possible egress issues.

Entirely possible some fool spent $9M or more on this property and wants to try and recoup that outlay, but that is not how to price a property. At this price point it would compete with places in Aspen, Monaco, and any number of high dollar locales that are all seeing major fall-off in demand.

What is the unique appeal that could not be recreated at a far lower price point?

Unless there is some secret, I see as a massively mis-priced mistake...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs