Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 10:38 AM

1,083 posts, read 3,723,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajolotl View Post
Thanks for the link. This is a stupid idea. One gets in the honors class by doing superior work in the non-honors equivalent and being promoted by instructor consent. There should be no other way. These other well-meaning schemes just spread the mediocrity.

I support additional assistance for poorer performers (to some degree) but this isn't they way.

I doubt it does anything to help the pooper performers. I think it just bring down the high performers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2009, 10:55 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,259,148 times
The wonderful, debatable and somewhat subjective topic of school quality.
Just wondering, why would someone send their child to private school if the local schools are good? I understand the religion aspect. Not picking a fight here, just looking for some opinions.

Old 04-28-2009, 11:01 AM

374 posts, read 1,036,191 times
Chet - Why are you down on OP schools? The US News list is based on nonsense. OPRF doesn't teach to the tests. Ask any excellent high school teacher who is not an OPRF teacher what they think of OPRF; they will be the first to tell you that the teachers, most of whom have masters at the very least, have wonderful latitude to teach. As you are surely aware, this was one of the first years that everyone had to take the ACT; this brought OPRF's scores down compared to previous years. Further, they have incredible diversity that brings down the test scores. This is also the first year "where they didn't even rate a bronze."

Even the Oak Park elementary schools have similar issues. Take a look at Whittier School, for example. 97 percent of the white students meet or exceed while only 30 percent of the black students do. You can compare that 97% to only the best white suburban elementary schools in all of Chicagoland, such as Sears School in Kenilworth. Therefore, the average test score is artificially low.

To the OP - if you are looking for uber-educated population with a liberal bent and more urban feel, move to Oak Park. You will be able to walk many places as well.

Old 04-28-2009, 11:09 AM

Quote:
To the OP - if you are looking for uber-educated population with a liberal bent and more urban feel, move to Oak Park. You will be able to walk many places as well.
Couldn't the same be said of Evanston?

Old 04-28-2009, 11:13 AM

374 posts, read 1,036,191 times
Yes. Oh, I think some people want private school for a smaller feel school. Where I come from, excellent public schools are really small. Here it seems that Chicagoland schools are huge. So some people choose private so that they have a better chance to make the sports teams or have a greater sense of community environment in a small school.

Old 04-28-2009, 11:22 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,346,203 times
I am not down on OPRF, I believe the data from US News is NOT based on a single factor, and is one of the only sources that I have any respect for.

There is so such similar source for elementary school, and the data from the Illinois tests is very disappointing.

I have personal experience with the staff at many high schools in Chicago and the suburbs (I taught for several years), and many teachers have excellent credentials. Unfortunately those credentials do not translate into performance of the students.

Old 04-28-2009, 12:35 PM

1,083 posts, read 3,723,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
The wonderful, debatable and somewhat subjective topic of school quality.
Just wondering, why would someone send their child to private school if the local schools are good? I understand the religion aspect. Not picking a fight here, just looking for some opinions.
Private schools may offer different styles of learning which would be better for your child. There may be opportunities at the smaller private school which wouldn't be there at a larger school. If you really care about sports, your child might stand out as a QB at a smaller school, than 4th string at NT or ETHS. A shy child might blossom at a small more inclusive school. Working parents might appreciate LFA & WA ability to board students when the parets have to go out of town.

Old 04-28-2009, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthera View Post
Private schools may offer different styles of learning which would be better for your child. There may be opportunities at the smaller private school which wouldn't be there at a larger school. If you really care about sports, your child might stand out as a QB at a smaller school, than 4th string at NT or ETHS. A shy child might blossom at a small more inclusive school. Working parents might appreciate LFA & WA ability to board students when the parets have to go out of town.
Good points. It would not have occurred to me that the need for boarding would be a reason. Seems like many who do private school on the North SHore are in a higher earnings category than I am-along with the extra hours and travel this sometimes requires.

Old 04-28-2009, 01:44 PM

49 posts, read 162,090 times
We are not Catholic, we are not religious. I would not be opposed to a Catholic school for my oldest daughter if it were a school that was focused on community service and helping people. My daughter is agnostic, so they probably would not accept her. Because of NCLF the schools seem to give kids that don't try at all more opportunity than good kids who make B's and come to school everyday. I am only commenting on our experience. I have thought about Waldorf schools as i think they teach children in a more natural way, however this won't work for my high schooler as she has spent 11 years in regular schools. My 12 year old plays guitar and likes to write songs so she would like a school with a good arts program.

Old 04-28-2009, 01:47 PM

49 posts, read 162,090 times
Also, my oldest daughter has played lacrosse(her current school doesn't have a team),she currently runs cross country and track.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs