Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 10:52 AM

2,300 posts, read 6,182,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
This thread is completely filled with ridiculous exagerations. Sure, we have problems with our political system in Illinois, but comparing us to Cuba and China and calling for armed revolution is just ludicrous. And our tax burden in Illinois is pretty average (either 22 or 30 of 50 states according to two recent pulished sources). Get a grip, people. This kind of rhetoric makes you sound like nut jobs.

That said, let's make sure we get rid of Pat Quinn and Todd Stroger in the next election, and let's repeal their burdonesome tax raises.
Apparently you just moved here. You do realize, your vote is COMPLETELY meaningless in this state. The machine has the winning candidate ordained years before the election. That sounds a lot like a third world dictatorship to me, and without a viable vote, there is no way change things.

And as I stated, our tax burden is not the issue. I kind of have a problem with people STEALING my money for corruption. I also have a problem with driving on roads that are nothing but potholes. Once again, it's like we're living in some bannana republic. We don't need the Olympic comittee here, we need the UN to liberate us and bring us free and fair elections.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2009, 02:11 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,784,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiestate View Post
Apparently you just moved here.
Nope. But apparently you've never lived anywhere else.

I agree that we've got corruption problems in Illinois, but the posts about "how to cope", leaving the state, and armed revolution are just silly. And candidates outside of the two party "combine" or machine have won the governor's office in the past. It's not impossible.

Old 04-08-2009, 04:42 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,260,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiestate View Post
Apparently you just moved here. You do realize, your vote is COMPLETELY meaningless in this state. The machine has the winning candidate ordained years before the election. That sounds a lot like a third world dictatorship to me, and without a viable vote, there is no way change things.

And as I stated, our tax burden is not the issue. I kind of have a problem with people STEALING my money for corruption. I also have a problem with driving on roads that are nothing but potholes. Once again, it's like we're living in some bannana republic. We don't need the Olympic comittee here, we need the UN to liberate us and bring us free and fair elections.
Not true. We have had Republican governors in the past. I dunno, but I think Thompson, Edgar and even Ryan did a better job than Dan Walker and Blago.
The Repub's need to focus on fiscal issues and not social issues and find a credible, moderate candidate. Even thought they are not binding referendums, the votes in NW Cook against the extra sales tax and to secede from Cook County are the first shots "across the bow". Now if we can only get the "lemmings" in Chicago to vote out Stroger with a reformer.........oh well, one can only dream. The lure of moving to Texas, to get away from IL politics and weather gets stronger and stronger.

Old 04-08-2009, 04:54 PM

I never said we didn't have Republican governors. In fact, I never mentioned political parties at all. The Machine is bi-partisan.

Old 04-08-2009, 05:02 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,260,841 times
I see your point. But the Machine refers to Democratically controlled Chicago politics, ya know "vote early, vote often" and the "bring out the dead voting techniques". And, at least the crooked Repubs got more done to benefit taxpayers than the crooked Dem governors

Old 04-08-2009, 05:18 PM

I suppose there are actually two Machines. The largest and most powerful is Chicago and Cook County, which is entirely Democrat controlled. Then there is the Illinois machine, which is bi-partisan and does include Chicago and Cook County.

Old 04-08-2009, 05:28 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,257,297 times
I know a nice little Red state where taxes are cheaper, roads are better, the winters are more mild and there is no gun laws. It is a right to work stae. Instead of the Democratic macbine, cities march to the tune of the church and so do the politicians in the state and in DC You'll never find a beer tent at an Oktoberfest. Nor will you find a bar with a television and kitchen so you can't eat a hamburger and watch a ball game on the weekend. Stores close at five. The bars in the county are open after 10pm, but mpt in your neighborhood. Walmart is in your town to be sure, but if you want to shop at Costco, Trader Joe's or Whole Foods, you'll drive 200 miles -maybe more. If you want an upsale night on the town with average food, you'll drive 100 miles for that too. You won't ever have to worry about medical care or a health department. And don't take anyone you love to the nice local hospital because its a 50/50 chance he/she won't get out alive. The nearest safe hospital is 200 miles or more. The school system is run by a board of church members who tell the mother if they don't agree to buy new football uniforms, or build a new school, computer classes will be cancelled and the school day shortened two hours. And they build a brand new school with another flat roof without one window in it after spending $200,000 to mitigate mold in the 5 year old f;lat roof, elementary school the year before.

Old 04-08-2009, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
I know a nice little Red state where taxes are cheaper, roads are better, the winters are more mild and there is no gun laws. It is a right to work stae. Instead of the Democratic macbine, cities march to the tune of the church and so do the politicians in the state and in DC You'll never find a beer tent at an Oktoberfest. Nor will you find a bar with a television and kitchen so you can't eat a hamburger and watch a ball game on the weekend. Stores close at five. The bars in the county are open after 10pm, but mpt in your neighborhood. Walmart is in your town to be sure, but if you want to shop at Costco, Trader Joe's or Whole Foods, you'll drive 200 miles -maybe more. If you want an upsale night on the town with average food, you'll drive 100 miles for that too. You won't ever have to worry about medical care or a health department. And don't take anyone you love to the nice local hospital because its a 50/50 chance he/she won't get out alive. The nearest safe hospital is 200 miles or more. The school system is run by a board of church members who tell the mother if they don't agree to buy new football uniforms, or build a new school, computer classes will be cancelled and the school day shortened two hours. And they build a brand new school with another flat roof without one window in it after spending $200,000 to mitigate mold in the 5 year old f;lat roof, elementary school the year before.
Perfect!!!

Somehow, I don't think the aforementioned red state and Illinois are my only options. I'm pretty sure there is a happy medium out there.

Old 04-08-2009, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
I see your point. But the Machine refers to Democratically controlled Chicago politics, ya know "vote early, vote often" and the "bring out the dead voting techniques". And, at least the crooked Repubs got more done to benefit taxpayers than the crooked Dem governors
If you ever read John Kass, he theorizes that there is a huge bi-partisan machine in Illinois that he calls the "combine". The Republicans in Illinois have been just as crooked as anyone else, though many think Jim Edgar and Jim Thompson were clean. However, after "Big Jim's" pro-bono defense of George Ryan, I'm really not so sure about him...

Old 04-08-2009, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
The lure of moving to Texas, to get away from IL politics and weather gets stronger and stronger.
Texas is almost as bad as Illinois. They have a long history of corruption in that state almost as bad as Illinois'. And they even took it national. George W. Bush was the ultimate machine candidate, and he did what he was supposed to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs