Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 04:12 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,152,881 times

Advertisements

If I had meant to paint AH as "one of those far-out, new-construction, moon-scape, non-walkable areas" then I would have described it as "one of those far-out, new-construction, moon-scape, non-walkable areas." But that's not how I described it. I described it as "post-war suburbia." So you're objecting to a straw-man of your own creation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2009, 06:59 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,259,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
If I had meant to paint AH as "one of those far-out, new-construction, moon-scape, non-walkable areas" then I would have described it as "one of those far-out, new-construction, moon-scape, non-walkable areas." But that's not how I described it. I described it as "post-war suburbia." So you're objecting to a straw-man of your own creation.
True. But the central part of the town was settled in the 1800's after the railroad came through. Although much of the town is post war suburbia, there is a core that is pre WW2, so I find your description inaccurate and "sloppy painting with a broad brush". So please be more accurate and I won't be so critical. Kapeesh? OK, let's peace-out.

Old 05-12-2009, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
True. But the central part of the town was settled in the 1800's after the railroad came through. Although much of the town is post war suburbia, there is a core that is pre WW2, so I find your description inaccurate and "sloppy painting with a broad brush". So please be more accurate and I won't be so critical. Kapeesh? OK, let's peace-out.
My God, you're like a gnat buzzing around someone's ear. What will it take to swat you away?

Old 05-13-2009, 04:49 PM

Default Be more accurate in your information/descriptions

Quote:
My God, you're like a gnat buzzing around someone's ear. What will it take to swat you away?
Just be accurate and I'll buzz off. It's more "than a few historic houses surrounded by fields of post war raised ranches". Although most of AH is post WW2,there are many blocks of pre WW2 homes. And the housing stock is quite varied and much more than "fields of raised ranches".
So just put away the broad brush and paint with a more accurate brush.
And, again, i respect the fact AH is not "your cup of tea."

Old 05-13-2009, 06:08 PM

Listen, I'm not in the habit of qualifying every statement I make for fear of offending someone's delicate sensibilities, especially when a generalization will serve the purpose just fine. This whole thing started when I offered a quick and convenient explanation as to why I was not the best person to ask for an opinion on AH. My description was adequate for that purpose, and I stand by it for that purpose whether you like it or not. Now go nip at someone else's ankles for a while, OK?

Old 05-14-2009, 06:52 PM

So by your logic I can make broad, somewhat inaccurate statements about areas I don't like and if I'm called on it I can make excuses and justify my answer instead of admitting a mistake in my answer or information?!

And as the youngsters would say....."whatever!"

Old 05-14-2009, 06:59 PM

I just don't know why you keep trying to argue with someone who has repeatedly demonstrated little or no interest in the argument, so I will try my best to make this as clear as possible for you: Shut up.

Old 05-15-2009, 10:51 AM

16 posts, read 53,245 times
I moved from NJ to chicago area two years ago. I think you really need to rent for sometime before committed to buy. This is a huge area and the traffic is horrible. you really need to find out where you and your wife (maybe after six months) will be working.

Old 05-15-2009, 11:26 AM

921 posts, read 1,095,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by remus View Post
I moved from NJ to chicago area two years ago. I think you really need to rent for sometime before committed to buy. This is a huge area and the traffic is horrible. you really need to find out where you and your wife (maybe after six months) will be working.
Thanks Remus.
So are you saying that traffic is worse than in NJ?
How did you like the chicagoland and life there comparing to NJ?
What areas (suburbs) will you recommend to me?

Old 05-17-2009, 10:44 AM

Quote:
I just don't know why you keep trying to argue with someone who has repeatedly demonstrated little or no interest in the argument, so I will try my best to make this as clear as possible for you: Shut up.
I continue the argument because I feel your description of AH is wrong. However, what I forgot to consider is the different shades of glasses we all look through. You feel AH is "fields of post war raised ranches" and they "look like someone planted a bunch of Monopoly houses". Instead of recognizing it's a feeling I was arguing it as a fact. Since you FEEL that way about AH, I will apologize for hassling you for your feelings and for confusing your feelings as facts. There is no way I will get you to change what you said because that's the way YOU see it and I just have to respect that. And I will state that I FEEL and SEE that AH is much, much more than how you describe it. It is a mix of 100 year old homes and homes from just about every decade since. It is a vibrant downtown that reinvented itself and features mid-rise condos with stores and restaurants on the ground level. It is a tree filled, lush and green community with an abundance of parks. It is a place that in no way feels "cookie cutter" or like "one big subdivision"-it's been around way too long and most neighborhoods are 25-100 years old. It is my home town and, for better or worse, I will get pi**&# off when I feel it's being depicted inaccurately.
So now Drover, I think I understand your point of view better and instead of "pushing each others buttons" perhaps we can simply agree that we see AH through much different sets of glasses and that there's no right or wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs