Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 07:35 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,713,615 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete MUFC View Post

I forgot to mention in my previous posts that I am also going to check another locations in AH, on the N Kennicott Rd where many condos are available.
Sounds to me like you are talking about the Greenbriar Apartments and other similar bulidings, in the area.

Many of these units are for rent, too. There is nothing good or bad about this area. It's just blah and not walking distance to anything. Closer to town/train is generally more desirable.

Buildings that do not allow rentals tend to hold their value better. On the flip side, if you cannot sell you cannot rent.

I am trying to read between the lines, here. What's the urgency to buy, now? Are there relocation benefits that will expire, ala use em, or lose em? Is it the first time home buyer tax credit?

If the urgency is not externally motivated, please consider an annual rental and take your time getting to know the area, especially if you are looking at condos and townhomes.

The condo market in general, is getting softer by the day, right now.
Buildings that are dominated by retired folk might be safer bets from a current assessment standpoint. You really need to focus on the percentage of units which are not current, the reserves and the source of heating.

There are some condo complexes where half the units are in foreclosure, owners are not paying their assessments and therefore fuel bills are not being paid. The ones I am thinking of are in Des Plaines, not AH. Much depends on when the building was converted and who bought into the building. Proceed with an abundance of caution and make sure you get full disclosure on the association.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2009, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete MUFC View Post

Here is the address for the duplex in question:
549 LYON Dr BUFFALO GROVE

Is this helpfull? Can you provide more info now?

Thanks a lot
It's for sale. It's for rent. The ask price is < what the owner's paid.

These are tiny homes, without basements. The claim to fame is that they are in th Stevenson School District and the property taxes reflect this.

Given you are 14 years away from having a child in high school, it does not make a lot of sense, to me, to pay these kind of taxes, relative to the size of the home, unless you use the school.

Old 05-04-2009, 10:28 AM

921 posts, read 1,095,205 times
[quote=middle-aged mom;8627026]
I am trying to read between the lines, here. What's the urgency to buy, now? Are there relocation benefits that will expire, ala use em, or lose em? Is it the first time home buyer tax credit?

Yes, a little bit of both, and I prefer to own rather then rent.
After my last visit (this past weekend) to Chicagoland a lot more things are clearer.
I will definitelly go with a condo or single family (if got luck to find one within my price range) and not looking to a townhome or duplex.
It will definitelly be downtown area, as I realized that all the properties in whatever downtown area, tend to keep better prices and btw look nicer.
I checked some condos in Des Plaines, AH and Mt Prospect over the weekend and didn't like anything outside the downtown areas.
As for the downtowns, this was only my third visit to the area, but it looks like that DP is trying to build a downtown similar to AH. Is it only me or...?
I restricted my serch criteria a lot and It's going to be between one of these places and in these order:
1.AH
2.DP
3.MP

Des Plaines came into consideration, after I visited a friend of mine who owns condo in "Sierra" condos at Lee St.
I liked the condos there and also saw a lot more similar condos in the city on Mill St, River Rd, Thacker... There is a nice library too, couple of restaurants and major highway nearby.
Also, a beatiful complex called "Stone Gate condominiums" is there too and their prices are well below the market (they say it is builder closeout), however I would be more concerned of all those power lines right behind the buildings and also trains. Any thought on this?
Anyone more familiar with DP and life, school, safety there?

As I said, AH is definitely my top choice and I liked what I saw, it is just that DP has a lot of beatiful condos too and they are cheaper than AH.
It is true that mostly retired folks live in that building, but any building I went to was the same.
I just don't want to have any problems with other people not paying their assessments or so, and this building looks OK in that point of view.

Any input is greately appreciated.

Thanks.

Old 05-04-2009, 06:53 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,258,305 times
It's a personal preference thing. I do not like Des Plaines. Mt. Prospect does not have the downtown vibe and activity AH does. Being in walking distance of downtown AH is really desirable. I am not a fan of the older condos. I worry that it will be as noisy as when I rented. I perceive the newer units will have more soundproofing. No evidence, just my perception. The Kennicott area near Rand Rd. is Blah.
Check out Lake Arlington Towne on Schoenbeck Rd. just North of Palatine Rd. You are walking distance to a 2 mile bike/walking trail around 50 acre Lake Arlington. Its townhomes and single family. I did see a recent listing around $220. Again, it may be too "suburban vs. urban" for your tastes, but I love this neighborhood and I don't have to drive to the lake-I walk/bike/run. Still aggravates me that they expanded the parking lot so humungously-oh well.
Oh, and if your right on AH rd., no worries, your too many blocks from the apartments on Dryden. And those apartments aren't hard core bad. Just not as solid as the surrounding area. Although visually it looks better than it did 15 years ago.

Old 05-04-2009, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Well, part of what you're asking is speculation ("is this a good place to invest?") and I try to avoid engaging in that kind of thing. I'm also not the best person to ask when it comes to opinions about suburbia, especially post-war suburbia. It would be all I could do to not slit my wrists if I had to live anywhere near AH. But obviously it suits a lot of people's needs just fine, so you'd be better off getting opinions from those who have a higher tolerance for suburbia than I do.
Drover, I respect what you're saying. But the area just outside downtown AH has many pre WW2 homes and several historic homes. So if you ever had to move out here for some strange reason, put the blades down and let us guide you into the older part of town. After all, AH was Dunton-a railroad town that has some history

Old 05-04-2009, 10:43 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,152,881 times
Oh. Well in that case I'm sold. A few historic homes surrounded by fields of post-war raised ranches as far as the eye can see, as if someone planted little Monopoly houses instead of corn seeds. Let me pack my bags.

Old 05-05-2009, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Oh. Well in that case I'm sold. A few historic homes surrounded by fields of post-war raised ranches as far as the eye can see, as if someone planted little Monopoly houses instead of corn seeds. Let me pack my bags.
Ok, I'll take the bait...............you been out here? Down Euclid, west of Dryden and East of Walnut? Then north of Euclid across from the library?
Now if you want even more, check ou Glen Ellyn down Main St. between downtown and St. Charles Rd. Oh I forgot, ONLY Chicago has pre WW2 neighborhoods and homes with charm

Old 05-06-2009, 08:28 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,152,881 times
Yes I've been out there, countless times. It's not my thing, OK? I'm glad you like it out there, but I don't. And your hectoring is not going to change that.

Old 05-06-2009, 02:52 PM

I'll second that Lake Arlington is certainly worth looking at. It's a solid area with good amenities, although not walkable to town/train.

Old 05-08-2009, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Yes I've been out there, countless times. It's not my thing, OK? I'm glad you like it out there, but I don't. And your hectoring is not going to change that.
Ok. That's cool. Many of us have different tastes. I just didn't appreciate your statement, because it made AH sound like one of those far-out, new-construction, moon-scape, non-walkable areas-WHICH IT MOST CERTAINLY IS NOT. So no intention to hector or hassle, just an issue with your choice of words. Again, no qualms with your choice/preference where to live-just choice of words.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs