Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 07:50 AM

6,358 posts, read 8,932,034 times

Advertisements

Which Chicago suburbs, do you think, are really "own little world"?

By that, I'm suggesting that when you enter them, you are in a place, a place apart that manages to hold on to its individuality more than most suburbs and establishes an identity or uniqueness (personality, if you will), basically its own. Often these type of places have few of the expressways and major, totally malled main arteries making straight ways through them and making it impossible to tell one town from the next.

While not trying to guide with my picks, I use the following more for benchmarks:

Evanston: it's a real college (make that university) town giving it loads of personality. It is more a city in the suburbs than a suburb and with its age comes tradition.

Oak Park: similiar to Evanston, it trades Northwestern University for the Frank Lloyd Wright district. Evanston's role in north suburbia mimics Oak Park's in west suburbia

Riverside: Frederick Law Olmsted created a layout for a real world apart

Lake Forest: it's the closest we have to the Hamptons. A place that screams that "riche" does not have to come with "noveau"

Schaumburg: the exception to the rule: it is lined is totally connected to its neighbors and blends in with them. Yet for sheer power, it is our only true edge city and stands out in that regard.

St. Charles, Geneva: the charm belt towns of the Fox River Valley

Naperville: the ultimate executive relo town, Naperville manages to create identity with a stellar downtown that caters to a huge population base that manages to be both stimulating and suburban at the same time.

Highland Park: for those familiar with it, despite the fact that it is anything but small, HP comes across as its own little world with little through traffic (outside of 41 on its outskirts) and a real connection between citizens and town.

Park Forest: our best example of the post-WWII, welcome back the troops, baby boom, organization man, planned community that, along with others of ilk (Levittowns) created a model for the rise of suburbia.

With no suggestion of inferiority in any sorts, the type of suburbs that would not make the list include places like Niles, Morton Grove, Deerfield, Mount Prospect, Bellwood, Glendale Heights, Alsip, Country Club Hills, Tinley Park, Crystal Lake
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2009, 09:16 AM

179 posts, read 489,718 times
edsg25: Although far far south suburb, Manhattan is a little town that meets that description. Some of it is purely because of its proximity, others because of the general feel you get when entering the village's outer limits. It's a throw-back in time to some extent, and I mean that in a good way. The village is beginning to see growth, new subdivisions popping out all over. Still, the downtown area and main part of town retains a look of Norman Rockwell to some extent. Just a more relaxed feel and warmth. For some it might not provide all that they need entertainment-wise, but the larger towns and city remain close for those pursuits. Coming home to this smaller village helps you unwind and slow down. I think ... a very good mix of life.

Old 03-22-2009, 05:13 PM

63,917 posts, read 47,156,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
Schaumburg: the exception to the rule: it is lined is totally connected to its neighbors and blends in with them. Yet for sheer power, it is our only true edge city and stands out in that regard.
Not sure I follow this one....

Old 03-22-2009, 05:19 PM

The 100 square mile, greater Barrington area is indeed its own little world.

Depending on where....

Hip village rehabs
Historic District
"Leave it to Beaver" like sub divisions
Lakes, lakes and more lakes
Ravines
Country estates
Horse farms/ Riding trails
Throphy Mansions
River/Boating lifestyles

Just beyond the Village of Barrington, you know you are in the country.

Old 03-22-2009, 10:18 PM

333 posts, read 1,154,735 times
Rosemont- one little gated, exclusive community with about 2000 people. Good luck trying to commit a crime there.

Old 03-22-2009, 10:23 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,853,374 times
The town of Golf.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golf,_Illinois

Old 03-22-2009, 11:17 PM

11,975 posts, read 32,000,361 times
The historic home belt from LaGrange through Western Springs into Hinsdale. The older areas along the BNSF Metra just somehow feel distinct from the surrounding post-war suburbia in that direction. And when La Grange is the "slum" of the three, you know you're in rich company (though I personally like La Grange better than the others because it is less mucked-up with teardowns).

Old 03-23-2009, 06:43 AM

945 posts, read 1,997,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Not sure I follow this one....
Agreed (Schaumburg???)- The OP left out so many, it's overwhelming. Here are some more:

Wheaton (of course- and we, the residents, are accused all of the time of being in "our own little world"!)- and a beautiful campus of Wheaton College and great vibe in the downtown. Who can forget the historical "popcorn shop" full of happy children (and adults) picking their candy in a 4 ft. wide store? Still in the guiness book, to date.

Glen Ellyn
Downers Grove
Lisle
Hinsdale
La Grange
Western Springs
Claredon Hills

And so many more I am probably forgetting that would fit the original "in there own little world" criteria, compared to the ones the OP listed.

Old 03-23-2009, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Oh my, yes.....

Old 03-23-2009, 09:40 AM

220 posts, read 748,286 times
I definiately agree with Riverside and would add Brookfield.

They are both somewhat isolated and seem insular (in a good way).

I would also add the village center for Long Grove.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs