Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 02:12 PM

1,273 posts, read 4,418,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by neeshera View Post
There is a new property at 4440 W Lunt in Lincolnwood which is currently on the market for $1.090,000. The original listing price in 2006 was $1,389,000. It has been sitting on the market for two years and the last price drop happened in Oct. 2008 from 1,149,000 to its current price.

This house is very close to Proesel Park and has 5 bdr and 4.1 bth with a 2 car garage. The basement is unfinished. The refrigerator, washer-dryer and carpets are not installed and are waiting to be selected by the buyer. Of course, that means, the quality of those are waiting to be decided on the negotiating price.

I seriously believe this house is extremely overpriced and the builder needs a reality check.

Any realtors out there who have advice on what should be the starting price for negotiations and how much this house is really worth for?
I know that home and it is priced very appropriately. Lincolnwood new construction homes have sold for over $3 million. That area is a hot bed for new construction. It is high quality by DS Development who also builds in Glenview and Wilmette. If you are looking at the home I wouldn't be worried.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2009, 11:33 AM

51 posts, read 156,128 times
My realtor says, considering all the unfinished aspects, the house would be more appropriately priced if it was offered at $750,000.

Old 03-06-2009, 09:12 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,721,445 times
There are no closed comps, including short sales, within the area that would support a revised ask price of $750,000.

It looks to me like the builder is in a break even situation, relative to financing. I have no idea of the terms associated with such financing or if the builder has the money to write a check, at closing.

Maybe someone else will buy this place, or maybe not. Buyers with the ability to pay cash or obtain financing at this price point, have time on their side and may have a wider net, in terms of areas they are willing to consider.

Last edited by middle-aged mom; 03-06-2009 at 09:35 AM..

Old 03-06-2009, 07:56 PM

51 posts, read 156,128 times
Middle aged mom, your reply baffles me. I really couldn't figure out what you are trying to convey. Mind clarifying further?

Old 03-06-2009, 08:58 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,160,449 times
What she's saying is that 750K is a lowball offer and that their asking price is justified.

Old 03-07-2009, 10:56 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,721,445 times
Here I am.

Again.....I do not work this area nor have I personally seen the subject property or any of the recent closed or active comps. There may or may not be something significantly " off" about it or the specific location, that cannot be gleaned from the MLS.

When I look at online comps for homes that recently sold/closed in this area between $700-750, there does not seem to be any basis for a reasonable comparison to the subject home, apples and oranges.

Based on this, an offer in the $700's appears to be a serious low ball without factual defense. Would a cash sale and the ability to close quickly make a difference to the builder? I do not know.

To accept such an offer, it appears the builder would need to address the difference between the debt load and the closed sale price. I know the builder's name and reputation. I do not know how many spec homes this builder carries or their financial condition.

There is no doubt that there are one off $1MM+ spec homes, in the greater Chicagoland area, that have sold at deep discounted prices because there was no other choice. To assume that all spec homes, everywhere, will sell at 30-40-50% discounts seems somewhat unreasonable.

I bow to any agent who really knows the local dirt. I also know that some agents do not do their homework and sustain the fantasies of buyers that they can get a steal of a deal on any home, not to different than some agents who take significantly overpriced listings. It's sometimes the buyers and sellers who are being sold, not the properties. Know what I mean?

Old 05-24-2009, 03:44 PM

7 posts, read 31,063 times
Default How are schools in this area?

Neeshera,
I'm also looking at buying in Lincolnwood - but not this particular property. Could you give me some insight? How are the public schools in this area?

Thanks.

Old 05-26-2009, 11:32 AM

15,586 posts, read 27,604,670 times
I wonder if this house has sold yet and for how much if it has.

If it has not I wonder how much the asking price is now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs