Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2006, 10:27 AM

246 posts, read 329,034 times

Advertisements

Guess it depends on taste & tolerance for a commute. Huntley is way out there. It's also brand-spankin' lookalike subdivisions on what was corn fields 3 years ago. Yet there's the Huntley Factory Outlet which lures all kinds of characters off the Interstate. Good people watching.

If you're working in Des Plaines have you considered Arlington Heights?

Magpies
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2006, 03:05 PM

7 posts, read 22,696 times
I'm used to commuting up to an hour each way now (live in southern california).

I did look at Arlington Heights, Hoffman Estates, and La Grange, but I seem to be getting more for my money in a home in McHenry, Algonquin, Crystal Lake and Huntley.

How are the schools in those areas ?

Old 07-12-2006, 11:47 AM

1 posts, read 2,058 times
Default Also looking around Round Lake

I'm also relocating to the Round Lake area in the next 30 days, but all I need is a 1 bedroom apartment. Would like a nice, newer, secure or gated complex in the area. Rent from $500-$800 month.

Can anyone offer some suggestions? i plan on coming out the last week of July to take a look around. Anything within 20 miles would be fine.

Thanks so much for your help.

Old 07-25-2006, 08:45 PM

6 posts, read 35,897 times
Default No to McHenry

I've lived in and around McHenry County for over 20 years and lived in McHenry for over 10 years and my children attended the public schools. While I first want to say that there were so many dedicated professionals in the school system, it's unfortunate that much of the community places more importance on where they're going to race their ATV or snowmobile and who has the best prices on beer.

The elementary school system just passed a referendum after at least 4 attempts; only after threatening to cut out ALL extracurricular activities and have half day sessions for students. There have been plenty of people who have risen above the established standards of the community and have been able to attend quality colleges, but if you're looking for communities that place more of an emphasis on providing a quality education for their children, look at either Cary or Crystal Lake. Huntley is part of a large consolidated school district that has had its share of failed referendums as well, (I can't recall if the most recent one passed). Both Cary & Crystal Lake are on the Metra line, which provides commuter service to Des Plaines - not sure exactly where in Des Plaines the job is, but there is Pace bus service from the Des Plaines train station as well. Good Luck.

Old 07-26-2006, 09:02 AM

7 posts, read 22,696 times
illinnative

Thanks for the information. What about the schools in Lake in the Hills ?

Old 07-26-2006, 07:20 PM

6 posts, read 35,897 times
Default Info on schools

Lake in the Hills does not have its own school system. One section of the community is aligned to the Crystal Lake schools and the other part of town is aligned to Community District 300, which spans several communities. The downside of District 300 from my perspective is that if the district decides to redistrict because of overcrowding at certain schools, you may find your kids attending a school several miles away. (This has happened.)

One other item regarding Lake in the Hills is that there is no center of town. There are plenty of stores along a major thoroughfare (Randall Road), and the community has tried to develop a community feeling, but it's more difficult because the area has just exploded over the past several years. So if having a true town spirit with a center of town is important, Lake in the Hills would not be the best choice. Otherwise if that isn't an issue, Lake in the Hills may suit your needs.

Again, good luck with your move!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs