Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 09:14 AM

1,989 posts, read 4,485,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CD1996 View Post
Nope...after your classy response Anthera I still don't get it. It's a freakin' lake. If it was an ocean I would understand. There's a sucker born every minute...
I've lived here and on the east coast. If you stand on the shore, it's damn hard to tell the difference. And to me, the noticeable differences are upsides: 1. No hurricanes. 2. No mouthful of salt water when you swim, no stinging eyes.

"If it was an ocean I would understand."

Yep. Don't get it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2009, 09:22 AM

5,751 posts, read 10,441,627 times
3. No sharks

Old 02-11-2009, 09:46 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,972,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
3. No sharks
And no jellyfish, Portuguese Manowars, barracuda, or strange pollution from China!

I think people like being on the Lake in Chicago. It certainly looks like an Ocean. I suppose it might be disappointing if you're into warm beaches or surfing--but hey, it is what it is. The views are similar.

Old 02-11-2009, 10:09 AM

5,751 posts, read 10,441,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
And no jellyfish, Portuguese Manowars, barracuda, or strange pollution from China!

I think people like being on the Lake in Chicago. It certainly looks like an Ocean. I suppose it might be disappointing if you're into warm beaches or surfing--but hey, it is what it is. The views are similar.
Some people actually surf too! I remember seeing it somewhere near Milwaukee (Sheboygan?). Thought it was hilarious but it looked fun...

Old 02-11-2009, 10:42 AM

2,329 posts, read 6,667,250 times
Theres actually a group of people who do winter surfing on the north shore (as the waves are bigger in fall/winter). ..there was a Chicago Tonight profile on them about a year ago. With wetsuit technology, its actually possible to stay out there hours at a time and stay warm

It looks like some other groups are also petitioning Chicago proper to open up to surfing as well
Surfers appeal to surf Lake Michigan - 12/08/08 - Chicago News - abc7chicago.com

Old 02-11-2009, 10:53 AM

214 posts, read 681,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post

Nothing from China but plenty of "stuff" from Northshore Channel overflow, Milwaukee, etc. But don't get me wrong - I have a lake view from my office and I love it. And having spent many a vacation on the Gulf and in Santa Monica, the lake sure does look like an ocean to me.

I've also seen people surfing in Sheboygan.

Old 02-11-2009, 05:00 PM

14,339 posts, read 14,734,023 times
They surf around here with wet suits, I think its great and the wave action from Sheboygan all the way up to Door County is awesome at times.

I don't have a lake view being 5 blocks away but I sure can hear it, roaring like a steam engine!

Old 02-11-2009, 05:12 PM

1,083 posts, read 3,743,558 times
Could the chip on this guy's shoulder be any bigger?

Old 02-11-2009, 08:40 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,819,055 times
"I was actually out here two months ago and surfed the fresh water for the first time. I kept thinking, great, I don't have to take a shower," said James Dribram, professional California surfer.

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?sec...cal&id=6545081

MORON ALERT!!!

Old 02-11-2009, 09:12 PM
SBD

52 posts, read 207,254 times
I've been to the Glen many times and don't like it at all. very cookie cutter homes with tiny lots. I know some of the homes on the golf course are bigger (house and lot), but the majority have the exact same yard with no trees taller than 12 feet. The lake they put in is nice, but I can't imagine strolling through the Glen in the hot summer sun without an ounce of shade. There is something very valuable about tree lined streets, different size/shaped lots and various styles of housing all in a single neighborhood. While the Glen provides retail and restaurants...it doesn't provide any of the other stuff, which I personally feel makes a community feel like a neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs