Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 01:36 PM

107 posts, read 248,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
The SunTimes list is a very one dimensional regurgitation of the data from the weak State of Illinois assessment, which based largely on ACT scores. Rankings that incorporate more useful data, such as success on AP tests, are incorporated into the list compiled by US News...
Not to beat a dead horse........Dont colleges/universities rely heavily on your ACT scores in the application/acceptance process? I would say ACT score is a pretty good bar to measure schools, especially if that is what colleges are looking at when accepting students. That would make the Sun Times ranking a very good measurement of High Schools in Chicagoland.

I am not directing this at you Chet, just have seen a few threads where people bash the LF schools but they are probably better than 90% of the schools in chicagoland and probably the country....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2010, 02:21 PM

109 posts, read 354,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
No, not faulty. I never claimed LFHS is bad.

It is true however that GreatSchools is a _J_O_K_E_ -- any time you let EVERYONE'S "input" effect a rating it is too easy to manipulate...

The broad categories of US News are useful and valid. Based on performance / result there is not a whole lot of to separate schools in the silver category from one another. I rather like this approach becuase I believe it is more useful than claiming there is only one "best" school. You must realize though that US News data is based on actual performance, not some qualative examination of the school, just solid statisical analysis.

There are significant differences in the kinds of classes offered at LFHS and NTHS, the relative ease of transition to certain kinds of colleges, the overall structure of the faculty, evaluation of students and faculty and many more details that escape people who have not had direct experience wih both schools.

In fact, though I do not live in the New Trier district, I have had direct experience with several of their faculty members. I believe in many ways they, as a group, are more serious than any other public high school in Illinois. Becuase of factors beyond the seriousness / quality of the faculty (mostly the preparedness / motivation of the students...) the performance of other affluent schools is essential the same... I believe that if detailed longitudinal studies of the success of the students were also factored in the habits that are fostered at some schools would expose the value of the some of the methods that are done better at various high schools in the region. I also know that this sort of longitudinal data would be even more susceptible to specific famial situations, thus few researchers bother using to evaluate schools. It is more often a sociological investigation than one of educational methodology...
How does everyone's input affect the greatschools ratings? I've always thought that the greatschools site had 2 separate ratings -- greatschools ratings and parent ratings. Neither is factored into the other.

From the website:

Quote:

What do GreatSchools Ratings tell me?

Our ratings provide an overview of a school's test performance by comparing the school's state standardized test results to those of other schools in the state. Ratings are given for each grade and student category (gender, ethnicity or other student group) for which test results are available. Keep in mind that when comparing schools using GreatSchools Ratings, it's important to factor in other information, including the quality of each school's teachers, the school culture, special programs, etc.
Which tests are GreatSchools Ratings based on?
GreatSchools Ratings are based on each state's main standardized tests. To get the details on specific tests used in your state, go to any school's ratings page and click on the link below the ratings that says "See which tests were used."
What data is used in calculating GreatSchools Ratings?
GreatSchools Ratings are based on the most recent available standardized test results for schools in each state. The results we use are typically the percentage of students scoring at or above the proficient level on the test in each grade and subject (e.g., grade 4/math) and each grade, subject and student category (e.g., grade 4/math/Hispanic students). The proficiency levels and student categories are defined by the state Department of Education.
How do GreatSchools Ratings compare to the ratings given by the state Department of Education?
Some states have their own ratings systems, and their method of calculating ratings may differ significantly from the way GreatSchools Ratings are calculated. GreatSchools Ratings are based solely on test performance for one year. Check with your state Department of Education to find out if your state has a rating system and how its ratings are calculated.

Old 07-23-2010, 09:15 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,704,723 times
The only schools that rely heavily/exclusively on ACT schools are state universities.
While the admissions to some programs at say the University of Illinois are highly competitive, the excessive reliance on test scores tends to result in specific kind of student gaining admission, one that is likely to be almost by definition, more uni-dimensional than the type of student that is evaluated by a broader set of criteria... I further know, having children that graduated from a school whose demographics are similar to LFHS, that few parents are satisfied with merely having their children accepted to even a challenging program at UofI.

Regarding the value of "rankings" that merely regurgitate (and frankly overly simplify...) the data from weak state requirements I find them to be easily misused.

I would further strongly disagree that the mere result of required test necessarily makes one school "better" than another, yet neither would I suggest that such data is irrelevant. Rather it one piece of a picture of how the students perform, and as I said before that performance is not a direct measure of the quality of the high school. Sites that promote this myth get my hackles up...

Old 07-25-2010, 05:43 AM

1,273 posts, read 4,431,447 times
I'd also like to point out that New Trier doesn't have the easiest crop of kids to deal with. New Trier does have slightly more economically disadvantaged students than Lake Forest High School and Hinsdale Central High School, yet it out performs both on evaluations.

Old 07-25-2010, 02:32 PM

6,358 posts, read 8,887,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by US-Traveller View Post
I'd also like to point out that New Trier doesn't have the easiest crop of kids to deal with. New Trier does have slightly more economically disadvantaged students than Lake Forest High School and Hinsdale Central High School, yet it out performs both on evaluations.
you can't escape the fact that even wealthy towns like the ones that make up New Trier Twp have some areas that wouldn't be considered wealthy by any stretch.

But if I were to look at NT Twp, I'd be hard pressed to find any areas where there would be housing affordable for low income (economically disadvantaged) students.

Where would those areas be? Certainly Kenilworth is off the table in that respect; not a chance. Afterwards, I would think Winnetka could be virtually eliminated. Glencoe has a long standing, but small black community that has never been considered disadvantaged. Wilmette is more likely to see what you describe as it is sort of a transition area between Evanston and the towns to the north. But where in Wilmette could you find low income familes? East? No; that's pure North Shore. West? Basically Skokie type housing with high prices due to NT location. Central? A few blocks to the west of Green Bay are nothing too special, but hardly low income by any stretch of the imagination. Indeed, some of the cheapest older homes on the North Shore abut the downtown districts, but the ones in NT Twp that fit that description are better off than comparable areas in Hghlnd Pk

Inland in Northfield? The parts that go to NT are basically pretty well off; the western fringe of Northfield has a trailer park on Waukegan, but it feeds into Glenview public schools and GBS.

I'm at a loss: where would New Trier get low income kids?

Old 07-25-2010, 03:02 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,704,723 times
Default Agreed..

...part of me things the low income kids most from families running a full blown tax dodge.

Or some poor kid whose dad has stopped making child support payment.

Or some drugged divorcee that can't find the checks.

The whole of the distict probably does not have enough affordable housing to cover two city blocks.

Old 07-25-2010, 03:11 PM

1,083 posts, read 3,737,467 times
Geez Chet - ever heard of people losing their jobs? Or divorcees that aren't drugged out working at minimum wage. Or widows?

There are lots of apartments in downtown Wilmette & Winnetka above the retail stores. Kenilworth too. Most of them are very run down and dated. Almost all of the Hubbard Woods shopping district has dingy apartment on the 2 & 3rd floors. Directly accross from NT is a large 1920's apartment building with very rundown units.

Old 07-25-2010, 03:25 PM

507 posts, read 881,344 times
Great if you're rich,sucks if you're not as you're likely a servant.

Old 07-25-2010, 08:40 PM

107 posts, read 248,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by US-Traveller View Post
Stevenson has more economically disadvantaged kids and is much more affordable than New Trier and Stevenson outperforms New Trier so it is hard to figure.

I guess when the school is top 10, whether it is three or 7 it doesnt really matter, people probably look at other things when picking the town.

Old 07-27-2010, 02:50 PM

6,358 posts, read 8,887,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianHunter View Post
Stevenson has more economically disadvantaged kids and is much more affordable than New Trier and Stevenson outperforms New Trier so it is hard to figure.

I guess when the school is top 10, whether it is three or 7 it doesnt really matter, people probably look at other things when picking the town.
and Stevenson has a modern, knock 'em dead, fully loaded physical plant that New Trier would die for
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs