Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 03:40 PM

42 posts, read 199,705 times

Advertisements

We are a professional Jewish couple in our 30s, with small kids, trying to decide between Wilmette and Northbrook. Any insights on those 2 suburbs?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2009, 04:14 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,361,596 times
I think there are threads on this. There are some differences in the kinds of housing that may be available, the mix of religious / ethnic backgrounds, overall both have a lot to offer.

Northbrook does have some houses with some "older charming" features, but the majority of the town was built closer to Vietnam Era than WWII era, in contrast to much of Wilmette which was part of the first "baby boom"-- that is biggest obvious difference. Result is that many people are attracted to one and not the other.

Old 01-26-2009, 04:25 PM

47 posts, read 193,051 times
You may want to consider Glencoe as well - some parts are insanely expensive, but others aren't that far off from Northbrook and Wilmette prices, especially in this economy. Glencoe has a substantial Jewish population as well.

Old 01-26-2009, 04:26 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,288,050 times
Since you mentioned that you are Jewish I know that Northbrook has a decent population living there. I don't know about Wilmette though.

Old 01-26-2009, 06:38 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,786,761 times
Wilmette is infinitely more charming than Northbrook, IMO.

Old 01-26-2009, 06:54 PM

60 posts, read 291,711 times
I live in Wilmette, and there are lots of professional couples with kids, and plenty of Jews, although if I had to guess I'd say they are a minority. The kids do get a school holiday for Rosh Hashana & Yom Kippur.
I've lived in places where the Catholics socialized with the Catholics and the Jews hung out with other Jews, and Wilmette doesn't seem to be that kind of place. I don't know much about Northbrook except to say that my son would like to live much closer to the Lego store at the mall.

Old 01-26-2009, 10:51 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,606,786 times
There are jews all over the North Shore. You can take your pick of which burb you like best. There will be plenty of your people no matter where you choose.

Old 01-27-2009, 10:53 AM

939 posts, read 2,380,017 times
If you want to be around more jews and have quicker access to a synagogue, then Northbrook. Wilmette has a smaller Jewish population. Closest synagogue would probably be in Skokie. Northbrook isn't as charming as Wilmette and doesn't have the lakeshore. More house for your money in Northbrook, but it's farther away from the city. My choice would be Wilmette, but I'm not Jewish so that's not a factor for me. If I were you I'd also consider Glencoe and Highland Park as well, as they both have synagogues, are on the lake, and have good schools (as do Wilmette and Northbrook).

Old 01-27-2009, 10:59 AM

1,083 posts, read 3,724,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paige65 View Post
If you want to be around more jews and have quicker access to a synagogue, then Northbrook. Wilmette has a smaller Jewish population. Closest synagogue would probably be in Skokie. Northbrook isn't as charming as Wilmette and doesn't have the lakeshore. More house for your money in Northbrook, but it's farther away from the city. My choice would be Wilmette, but I'm not Jewish so that's not a factor for me. If I were you I'd also consider Glencoe and Highland Park as well, as they both have synagogues, are on the lake, and have good schools (as do Wilmette and Northbrook).

Congregation Sukkat Shalom is in Wilmette. I know lots of jewish people who live in Wilmette. I guess its what your comfort level requires. HP is very jewish, Glencoe less so. Buffalo Grove & Deerfield more, Kenilworth much less. Do you need 50% + to be comfortable, or 20%? None of the Northshore or Notquitenorthshore suburbs is without a significant jewish population.

Old 01-27-2009, 11:10 AM

939 posts, read 2,380,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthera View Post
Congregation Sukkat Shalom is in Wilmette.

Thanks for your correction. I didn't know that. And I agree with the rest of your post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs