Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 04:11 PM

7 posts, read 48,596 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any info on Eisenhower high school in Blue Island, Illinois? I recently moved to Alsip from Chicago Ridge, Illinois and my child attends Hamlin Upper Grade Center. She is very happy in Alsip and doesn't want to move again. She would have to attend Eisenhower for high school but the test scores are awful. I am not so concerned about that because she will test into the honors program and hopefully the classes will be challenging, but I am wondering if there is a problem with gangs or violence at the school and in the surrounding neighborhood (Blue Island). With the economy the way it is I don't want to take a chance on enrolling her in Queen of Peace and then having to take her out if we can't afford it and South Side Baptist seems to be too small. Marist is out of the question because I don't want her in the city for anything and there is no diversity there. If anyone knows anything about safety and honor's classes at Eisenhower, please let me know because I need to start making some decisions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2009, 08:54 PM

2,561 posts, read 2,179,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alsipian View Post
Does anyone have any info on Eisenhower high school in Blue Island, Illinois? I recently moved to Alsip from Chicago Ridge, Illinois and my child attends Hamlin Upper Grade Center. She is very happy in Alsip and doesn't want to move again. She would have to attend Eisenhower for high school but the test scores are awful. I am not so concerned about that because she will test into the honors program and hopefully the classes will be challenging, but I am wondering if there is a problem with gangs or violence at the school and in the surrounding neighborhood (Blue Island). With the economy the way it is I don't want to take a chance on enrolling her in Queen of Peace and then having to take her out if we can't afford it and South Side Baptist seems to be too small. Marist is out of the question because I don't want her in the city for anything and there is no diversity there. If anyone knows anything about safety and honor's classes at Eisenhower, please let me know because I need to start making some decisions.
Not that it matters because Marist probably is somewhat similar in cost to Queen of Peace, but I don't really understand the concern with Marist being in the city. It's pretty much the most southwestern point possible right across the street from Alsip and surrounded by a big field. My aunt used to work at Peace and currently works at Eisenhower. I don't know specifics regarding gang situations there but Peace is obviously a bit different.

Old 01-23-2009, 05:20 AM

Default Concern with Marist being in the City

I just don't want anything to do with the City of Chicago and do not want my children attending school there.

Old 01-23-2009, 07:35 AM

1,464 posts, read 5,508,487 times
You don't want anything to do with the city of Chicago? Yes, Mt. Greenwood is downright terrifying! LOL! And you're not questioning quality or safety of life in Blue Island, but you are for Mt. Greenwood saying you don't want anything to do with it? LMFAO! Talk about needing to get your priorities straight. Theres a reason for those low test scores at Eisenhower. Ever see who the primary group of people is that is moving into that town and sending their kids to that school? Its LOADED with Latinos which many of them speak little English, so how can they be expected to test well on acheviement tests when so many of them can barely speak English and are just out of Mexico? https://www.city-data.com/school/dd-e...school-il.html And, yes there are a lot of kids from the inner city that were forced out to BI thanks to Daley knocking their homes down to build million dollar condos, so guess what else has followed the kids out of the city... Take a guess... They are bringing all the problems from the big bad city of Chicago right with them.

Seriously Marist is an excellent school and is pretty much right across 115th Street from Merrionette Park.

Old 01-23-2009, 08:15 AM

1,156 posts, read 3,749,542 times
FWIW, I'm over at Eisenhower several times a week (afterschool time) and so I see the kids firsthand. There are many good kids with good parents from humble to middle class backgrounds who are getting a decent education there. However there are many more kids from single parent homes, low-income homes, etc. and educational attainment is not always the primary concern. From what I've seen, cream rises to the top at Eisenhower, so a successful student will have opprtunities to participate in special programs that they might get squeezed out of at another more competitive school. I do not work with the faculty, so I really couldn't give you an estimation of their abilities.

I think the surrouning neighborhood isn't really an issue other than the high school population. I would recommend visiting the school and see how it looks in the hallways, the rules they impose, how lunchroom looks, etc.

Old 01-23-2009, 08:50 AM

To the OP, are you originally not from the Chicago area or the south side? I am just curious because I would think for the most part you'd be somewhat familiar with some of the area schools, even if from Chicago Ridge. If you are not from the area, then it's understandable you are associating Marist with the city of Chicago because it's in Chicago. I still am not seeing the connection despite being "within" the city limits, even though it's probably more isolated from being in the city than 95%-100% of the city.

Old 01-29-2009, 10:04 PM

Smile Eisenhower High School

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdc3217 View Post
FWIW, I'm over at Eisenhower several times a week (afterschool time) and so I see the kids firsthand. There are many good kids with good parents from humble to middle class backgrounds who are getting a decent education there. However there are many more kids from single parent homes, low-income homes, etc. and educational attainment is not always the primary concern. From what I've seen, cream rises to the top at Eisenhower, so a successful student will have opprtunities to participate in special programs that they might get squeezed out of at another more competitive school. I do not work with the faculty, so I really couldn't give you an estimation of their abilities.

I think the surrouning neighborhood isn't really an issue other than the high school population. I would recommend visiting the school and see how it looks in the hallways, the rules they impose, how lunchroom looks, etc.

Thankyou. I appreciate this info.

Old 03-13-2009, 07:33 AM

[quote=NYrules;7131513]You don't want anything to do with the city of Chicago? Yes, Mt. Greenwood is downright terrifying! LOL!

Chicago's Mt. Greenwood neighborhood is very terrifying for my interracial family.
Concerned parent speaks out | Mount Greenwood's Southwest Observer: News for Mount Greenwood, Beverly, Morgan Park

First black students to attend Chicago's Mount Greenwood Elementary School return to find the racism of the community is still alive - Substance News

Column: Cold blast from the past - Mary Mitchell

Old 03-20-2009, 08:38 PM

2 posts, read 7,711 times
Wow im definitely insulted... As both a resident of the city and a graduate of Marist...Yes Marist is in the city of Chicago but it's a privately owned and operated school by the Marist Brothers. It's a Catholic school, the tuition you pay is going to the brotherhood. Secondly Alsip is not a shining jewel when it comes to villages. Nice yes but not without its problems. Eisenhower does have a very bad reputation in the area and as a local suburban firefighter i have seen some of it's problems first hand but it is not by any means a bad school. The best way would be to visit the school and meet the faculty. Dont rule out Marist or McAuley or Queen of Peace though all are very good schools and in my opinion and experience offer a completely diffrent experience then you could ever find in any public school.

Old 03-21-2009, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by probemedic View Post
Wow im definitely insulted... As both a resident of the city and a graduate of Marist...Yes Marist is in the city of Chicago but it's a privately owned and operated school by the Marist Brothers. It's a Catholic school, the tuition you pay is going to the brotherhood. Secondly Alsip is not a shining jewel when it comes to villages. Nice yes but not without its problems. Eisenhower does have a very bad reputation in the area and as a local suburban firefighter i have seen some of it's problems first hand but it is not by any means a bad school. The best way would be to visit the school and meet the faculty. Dont rule out Marist or McAuley or Queen of Peace though all are very good schools and in my opinion and experience offer a completely diffrent experience then you could ever find in any public school.
Agreed with all this. One could argue that Mt. Greenwood is a better neighborhood than Alsip.

Also, Marist is about as isolated from anything dangerous as possible while still being in the city limits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs