Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 08:11 AM

1,464 posts, read 5,513,822 times

Advertisements

To the person that suggested Palos Park and Lemont... Kudos to you. You can get an amazing house in either one of those towns for about 80% of what you would pay to live in the Du Page County towns. Other towns to consider if you are planning to buy a house, would be Lockport, Homer Glen, New Lenox, and the western fringe of Orland Park. Any one of those towns are only a matter of a couple miles to I-355 which will take you just about right into Burr Ridge (then use Archer if I-55 is bad) in under 20 minutes as there is nearly NO traffic which is nice. I-55 is absolutley horrible during rush hour so everyone that is suggesting to move into towns that will require you to drive in either direction on I-55 (Stevenson).... ARE YOU CRAZY?! I almost forgot to mention, I-55 is going to be torn up for a while from I believe Weber Road all the way to I-80 for a widening project where they are going to add on, you ready for this? A WHOLE LANE! OOOOOOHHHHH AHHHHHHHH. This might bring this freeway up to 1960s standards finally.

As for the winters... Don't let everyone scare you. There are two sides to Chicago proper. The north, city, and west areas which get horrid winters (which Burr Ridge really isn't in) (40+ inches of snow a season, springs that start about April 20th due to lake cooling, cooler summers; maybe 6-10 X 90 degree days due to lake breezes, and temperate falls)

Then theres the south, far south, and IN side to the city (25-40 inches of snow a season, spring starts more about April 1, hot and humid summers; maybe 10-40 days above 90 degrees due to urban heat islands around Joliet, Orland Park, and the SE burbs and NW IN industrial areas throwing off tons of heat, and temerate falls but southern areas can still spike 90 degrees from time to time well into October.

Its really like a tale of two cities when it comes to Chicago's weather.

Last edited by NYrules; 09-12-2008 at 08:25 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2008, 12:19 PM

694 posts, read 2,017,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoWeekendFun View Post
Hi, I used to live near Burr Ridge and think the closest suburbs are Darien, Claredon Hills, Downers Grove, Willowbrook and Oak Brook. Oak Brook and Burr Ridge are the most expensive by property values, Darien and Willowbrook are the least expensive. There are a ton of homes available in those areas due to the mortgage crisis, so you could buy something for a lot less than market value right now. Check out those suburbs on Realtor.com or look up the towns on Craigslist.org under real estate for sale to find specific places to live. Overall Burr Ridge is a nice place to live and has good schools. It is one of the smaller lesser known sw suburbs but still a good place to come live in the suburbs of Chicago. It is about an hour or more to the city by car on I-55 depending on traffic. There is lots of shopping at Oak Brook Mall and all along Rt-83 that should be useful and there are many social things to do too. I hope this helps!

Chicago Weekend Fun

You do realize that your responding to a post from 15 months ago, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs