Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2008, 04:00 PM

1 posts, read 6,589 times

Advertisements

Hi-

We are considering a move to Glen Ellyn and have three young children. Can anyone tell me about the schools- we are interested in both private and public elementary school options. Thanks so much!

Julia003
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2008, 04:54 PM

1,216 posts, read 5,776,274 times
Juila -- I can't help ya with that... as i dont live there... but if you use the "search" function and type in "Glen Ellyn" there will be lots of threads, as it is talked about a lot.

Old 11-28-2008, 06:32 PM

610 posts, read 2,729,575 times
Glen Ellyn has two different elementary districts 41 and 89. Both feed into the same high school district which is 87. District 41 is located in the downtown and north side of GE whereas 89 services the south end of GE and the far east side of Wheaton. Both are very good. As far as private schools there is St. Pet's in downtown GE. Has a great reputation and used to have a waiting list. With the economy I know most of the private schools are down in enrollment. St. James is in the south end of town and is also a good school, a bit smaller than St. Pet's. If you have an idea of the type of house you are looking for, your price point and any special characteristics you want in a neighborhood/school let us know and we can respond more specifically to your needs.

Old 11-28-2008, 07:14 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
If you are not from the area you should also realize that there are portions of 'unicorporated' Glen Ellyn served by other school districts as well. School district boundaries can have a MUCH bigger impact on price/value than "mailing address"...

Old 11-29-2008, 11:36 AM

1,909 posts, read 3,783,320 times
All k-5 glen ellyn schools are excellent. Same with the middle schools Hadley and Glen Crest. For some odd reason Glenbard south hs and glenbard west have had issues making the grade, but on a whole they are better than a lot of their suburban counter parts. St pets and st james are catholic private schools. There are some PROD private schools in wheaton if you are not a catholic. Benet and montini private hs are around but they have drug issues.....

Old 11-29-2008, 11:42 AM

Default Not believable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeShoreSoxGo View Post
All k-5 glen ellyn schools are excellent. Same with the middle schools Hadley and Glen Crest. For some odd reason Glenbard south hs and glenbard west have had issues making the grade, but on a whole they are better than a lot of their suburban counter parts. St pets and st james are catholic private schools. There are some PROD private schools in wheaton if you are not a catholic. Benet and montini private hs are around but they have drug issues.....

All excellent PUHLEASE!

And the Catholic schools have drug issues but the public schools don't?

Gimme a break!

Old 11-29-2008, 11:45 AM

1,909 posts, read 3,783,320 times
Tell me whats wrong with Park View, Briar glen, West field, or arbor view elementrary schools. You give me a break, I grew up in that white picket fence neck of the woods for the first 12 years of my life. Nothing wrong with the elementray schools. Its not like your going to find better schools in less affluent places like Lombard or Glendale Heights...

I never said the public schools didnt have issues, but Benet and Montini academy have been known for their drug issus. This often happens in Private highschools that are not boarding schools. I don't know why you are so outraged....After all I grew up there.

Old 11-29-2008, 02:29 PM

To think "because you grew up there" automagically makes all the grade schools "excellent" is just too silly to comment on.

It is outrageous to denigrate any school as having "drug issues". It is even more ridiculous to claim that residential high schools are immune (or more prone) to such problems.

How are the schools in your current location? Excellent as well? Drug issues?

Come on...

Old 11-29-2008, 02:39 PM

16 posts, read 30,208 times
All schools can have minor drug problems.

Glen Ellyn, Wheaton, Downers Grove and Naperville are in the top 20 in the state.

Go to greatschools.net and check for yourself.

Good luck with your move.

Old 03-08-2009, 08:50 PM

6 posts, read 24,583 times
Hi Julia.

Someone else asked a similar question to yours. S/he is somewhere in the computer near you. Since I answered his/her question already, I just copied my reply again here. Sorry for the impersonal nature of that. As with him/her, please call or e-mail if you would like to hear more stuff. Ph # and E-mail at the end. Good luck with your quest.

Hello. I am a 50 year old man with a wife and two boys. One in college and one in high school at Glenbard West in Glen Ellyn. I was also raised in Glen Ellyn. As a kid, I thought that all towns would be filled with people that have a sense of humor, and are smart but not uppity. I thought that all towns would have natural beauty and visual interest , including excellent and varied architecture. I love to garden and enjoy/need to be surrounded by natural and man made beauty. I have rewarding career working as a landscape architect, primarily designing parks, public gathering spots and open spaces. I believe my sense of humor and appreciation for the visual arts, and other good suff all came about as a result of being raised in Glen Ellyn.

A few years ago I attended my son's middle school open house. Ten minutes or so with each teacher and then down the hall to the next class. Seven or eight in all. What blew me away was that, as I walked through the halls, I saw the same faces coming at me as I did While attending the same school thirty years earlier! Even more interesting was that I remembered most of their names. Many of my high school friends have moved back to Glen Ellyn after living elsewhere.

A few years ago my son, then twelve, and I decided to make a film of the townsfolk in various comunities. Just for fun. When we went downtown Glen Ellyn and filmed, everyone wanted to know what we were filming, who we were, if our film was a class project or some kind of documentary. They laughed and joked with us. We then went to a couple other communities to film. Wheaton and Naperville. The folks in Naperville covered their faces, didn't find us interesting and didn't joke around with us. A couple of them were kinda p'd off.

One thing that I like about glen ellyn is that, as a kid, I could ride my bike all over town without crossing a major thoroughfare. Unlike Hinsdale or Naperville (especially Naperville). The traffic in Naperville is also extremely bad. I can drive from Glen Ellyn to Northbrook in about the same amount of time that it takes to drive across Naperville (don't quote me on that).

I had heard of a couple of national surveys that were taken that concluded that Naperville is one of the best towns to live in in the United States. Not sure if top one hundred, ten, or what. I'm sure the scores are based upon a combination of home prices, conveniences, schools, etc. Not sure where Hinsdale or Glen Ellyn compare. Many of my HS friends bought their first homes in Naperville and several of those then moved back to GE later.

Naperville is a longer commute to the loop in Chicago if you're doing that. Some of my architect and landscape architect colleagues used to use the term "contrived quaintness" to describe Naperville. Except for the downtown and college vicinity, of course.

I don't have a lot to say about Hinsdale. I did some residential landscape design there when I was in business. Kind of intense I would say. Lots of attorneys, bigger business owners, Chicago bankers and traders. Older money. I think a lot of "move backs" too, like Glen Ellyn. Beautiful homes. Higher floor area ratio than GE or Naperville (i.e. huge houses on medium lots). Two communities I did like in that area however are LaGrange (I lived there for two years) and Western Springs.

When I turned 50, My wife and I decided that we (she also grew up in GE) had lived in Glen Ellyn most of our lives and that a change of climate and scenery might be a welcome thing. Because of my need to surround mysely with interesting and beautiful things and people, I decided to look for a job in the northwest (of the country). So three months ago I moved to a little town about twenty-five miles north of Seattle and about one hundred miles south of Vancouver Canada called Mukilteo. I just heard this morning that Mukilteo, in the local native Indian language, means "friendly place to meet".

So hear I am, in Mukilteo, WA on the computer, looking on craig's list and elsewhere for a home in Mukilteo or Everett WA to swap for mine in Glen Ellyn. So I typed in "Mukilteo"+"Glen Ellyn" or "Everett"+"Glen Ellyn" and your thread came up. Have you been to / written about either Everett or Mukilteo on the Internet? From where are you moving in California? Come to think of it, Glen Ellyn is kinda a smaller (and less expensive) version of
Carmel or La Jolla. In fact the owner of Shannon's Irish Restaurant downtown GE also owns a restaurant in Carmel.

mod cut: removed contact information and reason for contact

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juila003 View Post
Hi-

We are considering a move to Glen Ellyn and have three young children. Can anyone tell me about the schools- we are interested in both private and public elementary school options. Thanks so much!

Julia003

Last edited by scirocco22; 03-10-2009 at 11:19 AM.. Reason: use a DM for this
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs