Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2008, 11:04 AM

10 posts, read 33,499 times

Advertisements

We are looking for a good town with other young families (we are in our late 20's and have small children). Our price range is 500K and we work from home so being in a certain location is not a huge deal. I do like the location of Glen Ellyn. I'm not sure about the town of Wheaton? Any thoughts?

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2008, 11:49 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,950,653 times
Wheaton is lovely. Its very similar to Glen Ellyn with maybe home prices a tad cheaper. Its larger than Glen Ellyn and has more stores such as those in the Danada area. Shopping is really good, the town has everything you could want. A nice downtown. Lovely trails such as the prairie path, a great park district and parks with 2 pools, good schools. Not much to not like. There are older homes in the north section of Wheaton, and newer ones south of Roosevelt Road. You should be able to find a good home for the amount of money you are citing. Look in Danada North which has large modern but traditional "family homes". For older homes look north of Roosevelt Rd. A great place to live.

Old 10-12-2008, 04:19 PM

15 posts, read 43,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToriaT View Post
Wheaton is lovely. Its very similar to Glen Ellyn with maybe home prices a tad cheaper. Its larger than Glen Ellyn and has more stores such as those in the Danada area. Shopping is really good, the town has everything you could want. A nice downtown. Lovely trails such as the prairie path, a great park district and parks with 2 pools, good schools. Not much to not like. There are older homes in the north section of Wheaton, and newer ones south of Roosevelt Road. You should be able to find a good home for the amount of money you are citing. Look in Danada North which has large modern but traditional "family homes". For older homes look north of Roosevelt Rd. A great place to live.
You pretty much summed up what I usually say. Wheaton is a great town, especially to raise children. There are some lovely homes, and the downtown is great.

Old 10-12-2008, 07:03 PM

1,367 posts, read 5,743,342 times
I grew up in Wheaton, I like both Wheaton and Glen Ellyn. However, the real charm of Wheaton is really in the downtown area an the homes around there. Most of the newer areas were a little generic for my tastes and the areas weren't very "walkable," however the houses in Danada are nice. Especially with kids the area around the library/downtown/Adam's Park would be ideal.

One main distinction between the two is that Wheaton tends to be more conservative and more church-oriented. This could be a plus for some people and a minus for others, but just so you are aware.

Old 10-13-2008, 08:45 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,421,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasesmom View Post
We are looking for a good town with other young families (we are in our late 20's and have small children). Our price range is 500K and we work from home so being in a certain location is not a huge deal. I do like the location of Glen Ellyn. I'm not sure about the town of Wheaton? Any thoughts?

Thanks!!
I think the others have answered nicely, so Ill just say that you cant really go wrong with Wheaton or Glen Ellyn. St. Charles is also very nice in most areas, but might be a bit too far out for you. I have TONS of pictures of each of those towns here on the Chicago Suburbs boards if youre interested....

Old 10-13-2008, 08:58 AM

610 posts, read 2,730,828 times
Wheaton and Glen Ellyn are great towns. For 500k you have plenty of options. If you want old and charming there are plenty of choices downtown. By living in town you can walk to schools, parks, farmers market, train, library, etc... If you want more of a subdivision you will find a few areas in north Wheaton but most are south of Roosevelt (rt 38) Road. The area just south of Roosevelt is still walkable to town and has great schools and parks nearby. Parts of Wheaton attend Glen Elllyn Schools. You'll certainly get more house for your money in Wheaton over Glen Ellyn. I've lived in this area for almost 30years. Wheaton has a great park district just make sure you watch for pockets of unincormporated neighborhoods that are not in the PD boundaries. You can still attend PD activities, you just pay a non-resident fee. There are two pool, one on the north end and one one the south end of town. There is easy access to shopping from both Wheaton and GE. There are some great preschools in both communities and lots of family activites year round. I think you would enjoy this area and the benefits of living here! Feel free to DM me if you have specific questions and I'll be happy to respond.

Old 10-13-2008, 12:48 PM

223 posts, read 758,133 times
Also take a look at Geneva (town next to St. Charles). It also has a charming downtown..

Old 10-27-2008, 05:43 PM

137 posts, read 549,877 times
Yes, Geneva, Batavia and Winfield would all be a tad more affordable...but there's always a trade off. It will all come down to what is more important to you. Schools? Backyard? Pricepoint? Walk-to-town? Thankfully you don't have the commute to work. That's usually the largest determining factor. With that removed the western suburbs is your oyster Good Luck

Old 10-27-2008, 08:22 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,359,859 times
If you are into outdoor activities, i.e. bikeriding, hiking, canoeing - I would recommend St. Charles. The kane county forest preserve system is really excellent as well as the bike paths. They have really good schools and you can get more house your money.

As long as you don't mind being farther from the city. We take metra in for our city visits (hour and ten minutes train ride - station is in Geneva). Or we drive to the el station in Niles (?) I think and ride in to the downtown from there. We don't visit the loop that often, a couple times a year. And drive to the MSI.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs