Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2007, 10:41 AM

8 posts, read 60,204 times

Advertisements

We're moving to Chicago in a few months and want to hear you opinoins on whether we should live in Evanston or La Grange. I want to live near a nice town center with shops, restaurants, etc. I don't really want to live in a congested area where it's hard to find parking everywhere you go.

We're in our thirties and have a 15 month old so schools will be important in a few years.

Thanks in advance!!!!
Suzanne
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2007, 05:40 PM

942 posts, read 2,583,495 times
Talking Definately

Definately Elmhurst!!!!!

Old 02-12-2007, 05:32 PM

677 posts, read 4,210,409 times
I'd suggest La Grange, but my opinion is biased because I live in the next town over. The schools in La Grange perform better on state testing than Evanston's, but a child can get a good education in either school system. La Grange has a central area with shopping and restaurants, whereas in Evanston it's more spread out. Evanston has a more urban feel because of this. Both towns have parking garages near the commercial area, but the street parking situation in Evanston is very congested - at least it was when I lived there, but I lived on a major road so maybe it was just my neighborhood that was bad. It's also very congested near the university, and that isn't going to change. I've never had trouble finding parking in La Grange.

Old 02-16-2007, 10:27 AM

331 posts, read 1,544,766 times
There will be parking and a bit more safety in LaGrange. You won't find much else you're looking for in the close proximity. At the beginning it'll look good, but you'll be bored eventually. Try searching northeast part of Evanston. I you don't like it or can't afford it, you might want to follow previous poster's advise and look at Skokie if you want all that you listed and an easy access to Chicago.

Old 02-16-2007, 12:05 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,725,561 times
If you can find a house in Evanston, I'd go there. I lived there twice and I also lived in Brookfield, which is close to LaGrange. There's nothing wrong with LaGrange, it was a bit too suburban for my tastes.

Old 03-09-2007, 04:43 PM

76 posts, read 476,113 times
Cool Tough Answer

Hi, Suzanne well you picked some good towns. Evanston borders Chicago, it has nice schools but the town can be mixed. Some areas are very expensive, and some are not very nice. La Grange has good schools.. and nice neighborhoods, and if u ask me , I would say La Grange, I guess I like the urban feel it has, eventhough it is still as a nice subarb. I guess I don't care for the suburban feel of Evanston. Good Luck!

Old 04-07-2007, 05:00 PM

23 posts, read 153,820 times
Wink Evanston good and bad

Well, like someone said above Evanston borders Chicago so that part isnt particularly a good area. However, if you go farther north a nicer quieter Evanston does exist. If you go to the Evanston police departments website, they have something called crime reports for each day of the year, and if you scroll through that you get the crimes(ie. burglaries,armed robberies, thefts, assaults) in the city and addresses and dates they occurred so you get a hint of which areas to stay out of.

Old 08-22-2011, 06:00 PM

4 posts, read 9,473 times
Default Evanston or La Grange?

Just wondering where this family ended up and if they like it. Our family is also moving to Chicago area and have similar questions about a family-friendly area to raise our young kids in. As the original poster said, we also are looking for not too busy of any area with decent parking, schools and amenities. I welcome any advisement you have! Thanks in advance!
Jennifer

Old 08-24-2011, 11:07 AM
mh7

102 posts, read 332,957 times
I live in La Grange & think its great. Parking is rarely an issue, the schools are good, there are plenty of local restaurants & good proximity to the mall in oak brook if you are looking for shopping. The area is super kid friendly too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs