Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2006, 01:13 PM

21 posts, read 45,816 times

Advertisements

I am a Physician at Northwestern, Rush, and Glenbrook and I have lived in Kenilworth for 17 years and I love it the it is a great community on the lake with a great small town feel while close to Northbrook Court and Old Orchard Shopping Malls. The average home price here is round 1.5 Million though.

I would recommend North and Northwest Cook County because of it's beauty and amenities. One problem with them none of them are affordable, but if you have time and look around you can find that cheap gem!

I would reccomend:

Evanston - pop.71,000 - average single family home:$750,000

Evanston is home to Northwestern University and two great hospitals Evanston Hospital, and St. Francis Hospital. 45 mins to Stroger

Taxes: $10-40K p/y
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Skokie - pop. 65,000 - Single Family Home:$450,000

Skokie is a thriving community with great schools and shopping. It's rich history as one of Chicago's first Jewish communities. It is right on the Edens expswy which flows to the Kennedy. 32 mins to Stroger.

Taxes $6-10K p/y
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lincolnwood - pop 27,000 - Single Family Home: $600,000

Lincolnwood is a quiet community under going ReGentrification from Ranch homes to mansions. Large Parks, Good Schools, Close to Downtown Chicago and Sauganash. 30 mins to Stroger.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Wilmette - pop. 25,000 - Single Family Home $750,000

Great North Shore Community home to famed Baha'i Temple and Plaza Del Lago. Great Lakefront Homes and High-Rises. Plenty of new construction
Taxes: $10-$32K p/y
-----------------------------------------------------------
Kenilworth - pop. 2,500 - Single Family Home: $1.5 Million

My hometown- It is small and it has the best school system. Although the cheapest home on the market here is $650,000! We are the 11th most affluent community in the US so living here is highly unlikely.
Taxes $17-$150K p/y
60 mins to Stroger
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Winnetka - pop. 26,000 - SFH: $800,000

Winnetka is the most lively of the Far North Cook Suburbs it is the 2nd to last community befor Lake County which is really country in my opinion exluding Highland Park and Lake Forest People ha! It is the seat of New Trier Township.
Taxes $6-$30K
75 mins
----------------------------
Glencoe - pop. 20,000 - SFH:$825,000

Last N. Cook County Suburb by far the most diverse in my opinion. It has a great Elementary and Middle School System. Wonderful quaint downtown.

Taxes: Low
100mins
---------------------------------

Other Places

Schaumburg- pop. 120,000 - SFH $300,000

Thriving NW Suburb i used to live here it was really great and it is changing for the better it was always nice though. Home to Woodfield mall.
30mins to stroger
-------------------------
Hoffman Estates/ Barrington Area - total pop is about 90,000

Mostly new construction area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2006, 08:03 PM

2,300 posts, read 6,181,850 times
Look in the southwest suburbs, near the Stevenson. Overall, traffic is the least horrible on the Stevenson, especially for the reverse commute. Plus, homes are generally cheaper down that way. Stickney, Countryside, Bolingbrook would be good places to start looking. Do not look up north. The only direct route would be the Tri State to the Eisenhower going to Stroger. You're looking at massive traffic backups much of the time on both roads.

Old 11-19-2006, 01:55 AM

260 posts, read 1,145,394 times
Try Elmwood Park, which oddly enough is as safe as you'll find because it's a Mafia town. They keep things quiet there, and provided you don't **** off anyone important, they'll stay out of your way. The schools are all right too, and the housing prices will fit into your range.

Old 11-28-2006, 07:35 PM

111 posts, read 275,477 times
Dont be scared by those housing price figures. Evanstan Il, is not San Ramon CA, it is NOT that costly.

Old 11-28-2006, 08:04 PM

2,300 posts, read 6,181,850 times
According the Chicago MLS listings, you can find 8 homes in Evanston for $250-300,000. These are the cheapest homes in town. They're small, older, frame houses, in a city with some high crime areas. I don't know where these are at, but I'm guessing they're not in the most desirable parts of town. Oh, and property taxes run $4000-5000 a year.

It's about the same situation in Oak Park, but with even higher taxes.

Certainly, not as bad as California, but I wouldn't exactly consider it a bargain. You can get a lot more house for your money in St. Louis, Milwaukee, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs