Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 04:02 PM

5,993 posts, read 13,208,336 times

Advertisements

I would say for the most part, most Eastern Europeans in the area are largely "blue-collared" because they come here for employment opportunities because the economies of those countries have been screwed up by communism and have only made modest recoveries from that period

(this varies of course: Poland and Czech republic have made the greatest strides, whereas Russia, Belarus, and Ukraine are still struggling. And the former Yugoslavian countries were the probably the most well off before the breakup but have been devestated by their war in the 90s).

Anyways, there are certainly many affluent eastern Europeans (some of my own Polish relatives could fit this category) for the simple reason that anyone who lived under communism is less likely to take for granted the opportunities to own and run your own business. So many of them can be rather ambitious and have done quite well for themselves, hence they live on the North shore.

I suppose the same can be said for Asians such as Chinese and Vietnamese as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2008, 10:07 PM

18 posts, read 78,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Though Polish culture is close to German culture in many ways...
True to some degree. It would be like saying New Orleans and Boston share the same culture Poland is a relatively large country, and due to its history, was influenced by many other countries and cultures. There are several regions of Poland with cultural differences. What we have in Chicago (and other places with a significant amount of Polish immigrants) is what I call a 'uniform Polish culture'. I'm sure this applies to other groups of immigrants.

BTW - Polish and Russian may sound similar, but they are two completly different languages. Polish is West Slavic, Russian is East Slavic. Many middle-aged and older Poles know at least a bit Russian, because it was obligatory for a long time in Polish schools. Otherwise, it's rather difficult for a Pole to understand what a Russian person is saying. Oddly, this does not work the other way around - many Russians have no problem understanding the Polish language. It's a mystery to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
Poland is eastern Europe. Period. Any slavic or formerly communist country is eastern Europe. NOT central Europe.
Poland is in Central Europe. You are talking of the Cold War, that was some time ago. Things have changed, there are many reasons why currently Poland is not included in Eastern Europe: history, religion, culture and language among them. The same applies to other countries, like the Czech Republic, Slovakia and Hungary.

Quote:
Anyways, there are certainly many affluent eastern Europeans (some of my own Polish relatives could fit this category) for the simple reason that anyone who lived under communism is less likely to take for granted the opportunities to own and run your own business. So many of them can be rather ambitious and have done quite well for themselves, hence they live on the North shore.
I'm from Poland, so I like the idea of being affluent
However, the OP is talking about women, not families. I highly doubt a sudden outburst of affluent single women from Poland and Russia, occupying the North Shore. I agree with other posters, they are probably nannies.

Old 09-19-2008, 08:20 AM

111 posts, read 382,756 times
When I lived on the northwest side of Chicago, I would go to Old Orchard for Christmas shopping, work clothes, etc. There were always a lot of Eastern European women there, and given the number of bags they were carrying, and the way they were dressed, I'm pretty confident most of them were not nannies. I don't know where they live--probably not Kenilworth or Lake Forest--but there is certainly a significant population of well-off Eastern European immigrants in the northern suburbs.

Old 09-20-2008, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnm68 View Post
but there is certainly a significant population of well-off Eastern European immigrants in the northern suburbs.
Well I can't speak for countries other than Poland, but I don't find it strange that more Polish immigrants are now better situated then a couple of years ago. Though I still doubt it's in a range that makes it shocking

Poland has changed and immigrants from Poland are a bit different now, maybe not all of them, but certainly a significant percentage. Poland is no longer a poor country, although many Poles still have to struggle to live decently, as the cost of living is European but the salaries are not. Historical and economical changes have affected Polish emigration. The USA has become less attractive, in favor of other European countries like the UK, primarily because it's a lot easier to emigrate to them legally and they are closer to home. I suspect less new Polish illegals coming to the US, as it is not as affordable as some time ago. The older illegals may still be waiting for an amnesty, since they have been here for years and often have nothing to return to.
Also, since Poland has been excluded from the DV lottery for a few years now, a lot less 'accidental' people come to the US. Right now it is mainly family based immigration, and people on work visas for professionals, who are able to legalize their permanent stay. Finally, the changes I mentioned before influence the fact, that many more Poles coming to the USA are well-educated and know English, making it easier for them to find good jobs.

That said, seeing Polish (or Russian, Ukrainian, ect.) women shopping in Old Orchard is hardly a way to presume they are well-being immigrants. Heck, I sometimes shop at Old Orchard and I'm far from rich Also, keep in mind that many Polish women (as other European women) are likely to spend a lot of money on clothes. The same applies to men, but they tend to buy expensive cars instead I'm not saying this is typical, but it's not unusual. My cousin works with two Polish immigrants who live together in a basement, eat junk food, don't have medical insurance, but drive new BMWs.

One last thing: the US dollar is now dirt cheap and the Polish zloty very strong. This makes shopping in the USA very affordable. Lots of people from Poland come here not to work, but to shop. Designers clothes and cosmetics can be 50% cheaper than in Europe. Electronics also, not to mention cars. I recently read an article claiming that European-made cars are cheaper in the USA than in Europe! Even including customs and transportation.

Sorry if I made any mistakes, English is my second language.

Old 09-20-2008, 09:21 AM

339 posts, read 620,414 times
Quote:
Poland is eastern Europe. Period. Any slavic or formerly communist country is eastern Europe. NOT central Europe.
Sorry. If you look at the map you see that it is Prague, the capital of the former Czechoslovakia that is in the heart of Europe. CENTRAL Europe.

The language that people are hearing in Highland Park is RUSSIAN. The Russians have a h-u-g-e community there. Their nannies are Polish, but the residents are Russian. They have been there over 20 years when many were able to leave because they were Jews. The Jewish organizations helped the new immigrants get started and they've never looked back. What you see in Highland Park is the successful. professional Russian-Jewish diaspora.

I know because I have friends that are part of that community.

Old 09-21-2008, 10:35 PM

132 posts, read 530,342 times
Poland is a part of Eastern Europe, according to the UN, or any dictionary, or encyclopedia. It could be considered "Central Europe" too. It's not necessarily an either/or thing.

Old 09-22-2008, 05:47 AM

Several older sources claim Poland as a part of Eastern Europe, heck, they don't even mention Central Europe at all! Everything east of the former East/West Germany border was Eastern Europe, west of the East/West Germany border - West Europe. Other yet included (and include still) Poland in so-called Central-East Europe, and I agree it can be very confusing The term 'Central Europe' reappeared after the fall of the Iron Curtain.
However, Poland is part of the Visegrad Group, along with Hungary, the Czech Republic and Slovakia. The Visegrad Group is currently considered to be in Central Europe (with a few other countries). The most popular conception is that central Europe consists of countries that were not influenced by the Turkish and Russian Empires. These are the cultural and religious differences I wrote about earlier. Geographically, Poland lies right smack in the middle of Europe.

BTW - Britannica includes Poland in Central Europe.

Old 09-22-2008, 01:19 PM

132 posts, read 530,342 times
I remember as a kid, looking at European maps and seeing everything east of West Germany being "so far East". But then all these "new" countries appeared! Changing my visual perspective. And yes, Poland geographically appears more Central.

Old 09-23-2008, 05:10 PM

6,022 posts, read 7,853,383 times
Quote:
I would say for the most part, most Eastern Europeans in the area are largely "blue-collared" because they come here for employment opportunities because the economies of those countries have been screwed up by communism and have only made modest recoveries from that period

(this varies of course: Poland and Czech republic have made the greatest strides, whereas Russia, Belarus, and Ukraine are still struggling. And the former Yugoslavian countries were the probably the most well off before the breakup but have been devestated by their war in the 90s).

I suppose the same can be said for Asians such as Chinese and Vietnamese as well.
oh stop blaming communism for everything

Old 09-23-2008, 07:20 PM

1,817 posts, read 4,943,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimps View Post
True to some degree. It would be like saying New Orleans and Boston share the same culture Poland is a relatively large country, and due to its history, was influenced by many other countries and cultures. There are several regions of Poland with cultural differences. What we have in Chicago (and other places with a significant amount of Polish immigrants) is what I call a 'uniform Polish culture'. I'm sure this applies to other groups of immigrants.

BTW - Polish and Russian may sound similar, but they are two completly different languages. Polish is West Slavic, Russian is East Slavic. Many middle-aged and older Poles know at least a bit Russian, because it was obligatory for a long time in Polish schools. Otherwise, it's rather difficult for a Pole to understand what a Russian person is saying. Oddly, this does not work the other way around - many Russians have no problem understanding the Polish language. It's a mystery to me

Poland is in Central Europe. You are talking of the Cold War, that was some time ago. Things have changed, there are many reasons why currently Poland is not included in Eastern Europe: history, religion, culture and language among them. The same applies to other countries, like the Czech Republic, Slovakia and Hungary.

I'm from Poland, so I like the idea of being affluent
However, the OP is talking about women, not families. I highly doubt a sudden outburst of affluent single women from Poland and Russia, occupying the North Shore. I agree with other posters, they are probably nannies.
Eastern Europe is not a geographic term. It simply means any european country that was communist during the cold war.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs