Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 07:43 PM

595 posts, read 2,742,438 times

Advertisements

I just wanted to tell you guys. They had an article in the Daily Herald today about the top tourist destinations in Illinois, and Woodfield Mall was #1! It had about 27 million visitors last year. Then came Gurnee Mills with 23, and then Navy Pier with a mear 3 million visitors. Somewhere around there. The Hancock Observatory was last with something thousand. Out of all the places, I can't believe that some mall came out at number one. I mean it's no Mall of America or anything like that, its just a place with a bunch of stores. It dosen't even have a movie theater in it!

So, anyways, I just think thats weird. There is probably some article about it somewhere on the net, I'm just too lazy to dig it up right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2008, 08:49 PM

610 posts, read 2,728,688 times
I saw that in the paper too. I was surprised it beat out some of the Chicago sites. However, have you ever been to Woodfield on a weekend between Oct-Jan and count the number of tour busses in the parking lot. Between Woodfield Mall and Ikea I think we meet the quota for busses in one area!

Old 09-09-2008, 09:02 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,602,442 times
I find this very hard to believe. How did they compile the stats?

Old 09-09-2008, 09:13 PM

76 posts, read 219,897 times
I believe it. Like previous poster said, it's almost impossible to keep track of the number of buses there in Oct-Jan. I drive by daily and it's sickening.

Old 09-09-2008, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outtachicago View Post
I believe it. Like previous poster said, it's almost impossible to keep track of the number of buses there in Oct-Jan. I drive by daily and it's sickening.
Buses from where?

Old 09-09-2008, 09:19 PM

76 posts, read 219,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Buses from where?
Not sure where, probably park districts that do "trip to Woodfield Mall" trips during the Holiday Season. The one lot off of Woodfield Road is filled with buses every single day. At least 20 or so.

Old 09-09-2008, 09:33 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,780,988 times
I think there's a bit of B.S. in that article. I don't think I'd call that a "tourist destination". How do they separate "tourists" from run-of-the-mill "shoppers"? If someone drives to Woodfield from Rockford or Madison are they really a tourist? I don't think so. Not unless they stay in a hotel and visit other sites in the area.

Old 09-09-2008, 09:33 PM

610 posts, read 2,728,688 times
My Inlaws are in central IL and there are weekly bus trips to Woodfield from their area. I'm sure during the holidays there are more. Gurnee Mills was second on the list. I just don't get the attraction but everyone has their thing

Old 09-09-2008, 09:51 PM

694 posts, read 2,015,838 times
I'm kind of sick of all the tourist in Gurnee. With the Mills 2nd on the list, I am sure if you add Key Lime Cove and Six Flags into the mix than Gurnee has to be the top draw? If so not for long if they dont fix Gurnee Mills!

My wife and I wont go to the theatre their at night and stay away pretty much from the mall on weekends because of the craziness and imported gang bangers from Waukegan. The mall is aged and the parking lot is pot hole ridden. Their has been talk of the Mills Co. in the pioneer press up here redesigning the mall to an outdoor upscale "lifestyle centre" (where have I head that term before??? LOL) similar to the streets of woodfield. Hipefully they will before the Mills becomes irrelevant...or maybe I would be happy with a bulldozer and revert back to open space

Old 09-09-2008, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outtachicago View Post
Not sure where, probably park districts that do "trip to Woodfield Mall" trips during the Holiday Season. The one lot off of Woodfield Road is filled with buses every single day. At least 20 or so.
Well if they are from park districts in the Chicago area how are they considered tourists?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs